How much for a Hammond Aurora Organ?

rickynelson

• Members

Hey guys,

There's a local dude on craigslist selling a vintage Hammond Aurora organ. He says he basically just wants to get rid of it and to make an offer.

Thing is, I dont really know a whole lot about these so I'm not sure what to offer him. Any suggestions? I'm really short on cash right now so I dont want to pay a dime more than I need to.

Thanks everyone!

• Members

Are these really worthless? I mean I get that they may not sound as good as some of the more sought after hammonds, but surely they would sound decent; and its still an organ in mint condition, I mean its bigger than any piece of furniture I own right now!

EDIT: I guess what Im trying top say is, is there anything that will do what this does for the $50-150 average price?

• Members

If you're not put off by it not being hip it looks like the great bargain of the century. And no, there's nothing, really, except another console organ, that will do that stuff; it's pretty incredible, really. Truly an orchestra in your livingroom.

[YOUTUBE]PuZc-Hw5ZfE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I had one, and acutally liked it. It had drawbars, and "Automation by Leslie " (A spinning piece of styrofoam).

I paid $75.00 for it.

I had big plans of making it into a controller, with some software VST built into it.....my wife threw it away after our divorce.

• Members

I had one, and acutally liked it. It had drawbars, and "Automation by Leslie " (A spinning piece of styrofoam).

I paid $75.00 for it.

I had big plans of making it into a controller, with some software VST built into it.....my wife threw it away after our divorce.

Thats too bad man.

How would you go about making this into a controller though? Is it awfully complicated?

• Members

Thats too bad man.

How would you go about making this into a controller though? Is it awfully complicated?

Depending on the approach it can range from fairly to very complicated. There folks here who would consider it are experienced. And another +1 for the non-value. If you think you want it, pay the man. Or instead, just start watching for free ones. I could fill half my basement with the console organs that are currently "on offer" for free to me.

• Members

I could fill half my basement with the console organs that are currently "on offer" for free to me.

Yeah, but the Aurora is a little different. It has drawbars, and a "Leslie".

AS far as making one into a controller, you'd have to tap into the key-mechanisms with something capable of scanning the matrix and generating the MIDI signal. There's actually ready made boards that do this, and they're relatively expensive (100-200 range ea USD).

• 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

The Hammond Aurora has all electronic voices, so unlike the case of the H-100, I'm not going to argue with the people who are saying it's a piece of junk. Although it certainly looks pretty. (I've now seen some videos of it on YouTube; despite not having tonewheels, it does have at least some parts of the classic Hammond sound. But then, so do electronic keyboards that are much less awkward to move around.)

If you happen to have the means to haul one away, and you get one for free, and you want a starter keyboard to learn to play, and you have the room available for it, I would still say go for it, but in any other case you would be better off buying one of any number of inexpensive electronic keyboards these days.

Archived