power amp and cab to use with sansamp PSA-1??

tone_crafter

• Members

I have just purchased a sansamp PSA-1 off ebay. Now I'm trying to find a suitable rack mountable power amp and cab to go with it.

I play in a church worship band and play at the same venue every week. The venue is rather small so I don't need a lot of power. I have been using a TSL-602 60W combo and this has been quite good for power. Just wasn't really happy with the tone and wanted to move to a rack based rig. I do love the tube tone of amps though rather than SS. Would like a little bit more headroom to play with though (currently run this amps pre gains at about 1:00 and the main volume at about 2:00).

I have been told that the PSA-1 emulates the breakup and tone of a tube power amp stage and that if used with a tube power amp it doesn't sound very good. I was originally thinking of getting a mesa 50:50 power amp to go with this but after this advice will probably go with a SS amp. I also want to run my rig stereo. Problem is I've never looked at rack mountable SS power amps. I have no experience with SS amps and know nothing about good brands and how the power and tone differs from tubes. Can anyone suggest a good amp for my situation? It would also be nice for the amp to have some EQ settings so I can adjust the output tone of the PSA-1 a little (not too worried though).

Also I need to get a cab to go with this. I think a 2x12 stereo cab would do me ok as I have an amp stand and like to have the speaks pointing towards me. Would be happy with a nice 4x12 cab though. Also many have said that if I'm using the PSA-1 I need to be using a cab with full range speakers in it. Only real specs I'm concerned with is that it can run in stereo. Can anyone suggest a cab that would suit me well? I hear that tech-21s cabs have full range speakes in them but they don't have much specs on their site and it doesn't say if you can run them stereo.

Ideas much appreciated :wave:

• Members

Well, I'm really wanting a VHT power amp (2:50:2 or 2:90:2). But then again, I play metal, so that might be the right power amp for you, and it might be a little too powerful for church service or a small venue.

It sounds like you might like a Mesa 20:20.

• Members

For the PSA1 you must get a Solid State power amp, call Tech 21 and theyll tell you. Id suggest a Crown or Carvin high wattage since SS isnt as loud unless you compensate with more power. The PSA already has speaker simulation so youre better off getting 2 fat JBL full range cabinets and running it in stereo.

• Members

My other guitarist and I had the same rack situation with the exception of the power amp. He ran his PSA through a Mesa 2:90 and I ran mine through just a Peavey 260. Both into Marshall cabs. He 'upgraded' from a SS power amp. Then he became incredibly compressed. My sound remained pretty dynamic and thick but his was going from Isley Bros to some Cowboys From Hell with a few turns of volume and eq. I believe he eventually went all Mesa though. He was pretty much totally convinced that it was the PSA's fault. Even though there didn't seem to be anything wrong with his tone BEFORE he wanted 'more wattage'. Great excuse for him to go all Mesa though. ;)

• Members

I have used the PSA 1 with both solid state and tube power amps.. The tube was a Mesa 20/20 but i sold that (thought i was not using rack gear) and went back to the ADA and currently use a Tubeworks Mosvalve 962 and that sounds awesome with the ADA..

Both sound great, the Mesa 20/20 is more $$ than the tubeworks if possble try both out and see what you like..

• 14 years later...
  • Members

As a PSA-1 user for 20 years I agree with the advice to go solid state on the power amp (I've used mine both with SS and tube) but disagree vehemently with the advice to go full-range speakers.  The PSA-1 does indeed sound far better into a high-wattage, transparent power amp.  However the built-in speaker simulation is insufficient, especially for distorted tones.  You will still get that "direct fizz" sound if you are not going into a guitar speaker/cab or into an additional IR-based cab simulator.  I have always settled on a SS power amp and guitar cabs for my PSA-1 setup, and it sounds awesome that way. 

Yes I know this is old.  Posting for someone who may be doing research currently. 

Archived