Randall RG100ES vs. Marshall JCM800

Slar211

• Members

I have a Marshall JCM800, model 4104 (50 watt 2x12 single channel combo). Around this board I've heard of the Randall RG100ES as sounding very similar to a JCM800. My question is, how do these two amps stack up? I play mostly rock/metal, is one more suited than the other for that?

Reason I am asking is because for the price of the Marshall by itself I could get a Randall and a nice 4x12 cab. Throw in a potential Marshall mod and there's a big difference in the cost. Both seem to be pretty sought after, just looking for opinions.

• Members
  • Members

Why don't you buy em both?

Now that, my friend, is a great idea! Is a Randall cab the best bet for matching up with the head?

Is the JCM800 really that highly-regarded? I've always found it to be a little muddy and not having enough highs but that's just my preference.

• Members

Originally posted by Slar211

Now that, my friend, is a great idea! Is a Randall cab the best bet for matching up with the head?

Is the JCM800 really that highly-regarded? I've always found it to be a little muddy and not having enough highs but that's just my preference.

Yeah, a Randall cab would be good. Anything with V30's would sound good IMO. I hear those old Jaguar speakers that came stock with the randall cabs sound really good too.

The Randall is worth a shot IMO. It's only a couple hundred out of your pocket.

I've actually got a RG100HT (rackmount version of the ES) on the way, and I used to have a RG100ES.

• Members

Originally posted by Slar211

"Muddy" and "lacking high end" are terms unfamiliar to JCM 800s. Maybe you tried an amp with dying tubes. They are some of the most unforgiving amps in terms of clarity and the high end can take your head off (too much IMO).

• Members

Originally posted by ChS

Heh, mine has Off in center position and Up labeled ON, and down labeled ON. Never could figure out why they did that.

Really? Mine's just a simple Up: On, Down: Off switch. Maybe it got replaced or something? It probably doesn't make any difference.

• Members

Originally posted by anomaly

Really? Mine's just a simple Up: On, Down: Off switch. Maybe it got replaced or something? It probably doesn't make any difference.

Looks like it's the way it was made, has the proper labeling:

rg100esswitch6kb.th.png

• Members

Originally posted by ChS

Heh, mine has Off in center position and Up labeled ON, and down labeled ON. Never could figure out why they did that.

My old ES was the same way. I never noticed a difference either way. Maybe its a polarity thing, for reducing ground hum?

• Members

Originally posted by Rich4Once

I love my 4104 and I'll never sell it. It's heavy as HELL, but it's 50 watts of pure Marshall heaven, and it's certainly better than anything that says Randall on it! LOL

No offence but, Marshall JCM 800s and 900s combos are just plain ol' gheyness; I would much rather have a Randall RG100ES anyday of the week.

• Members

highgainlover:

I've got some new tubes on the way so hopefully "muddy" and "lacking high end" will be things of the past.

Rich4Once:

I think the 4104 might be the heaviest 2x12 amp I've ever lifted. You would think it's filled with lead, or gold bricks.

I think I'm going to hold onto the Marshall for now, but at less than $200 I think the RG100ES is worth a look... no matter how it turns on or off. :D

• Members

Originally posted by diocide

Hey guys, I could get a Randall RG80es for real cheap locally. Are these things as good as the 100es? I can seee some differences, like reverb and such, but how bout tone wise?

It's probably along the same lines as the RG100ES, give it a try if possible. One thing to remember is the channel footswitch is aggrevating with these line of amps as it uses a strange plug.

• Members

Originally posted by Rich4Once

I love my 4104 and I'll never sell it. It's heavy as HELL, but it's 50 watts of pure Marshall heaven, and it's certainly better than anything that says Randall on it! LOL

I am 100% sure that a {censored}ing Randall MTS amp will kick that Marshall's ass.

Archived