Mesa 20/20 vs Mesa 50/50 vs Peavey Classic 50/50

Jimbo513

• Members

I'm trying to decide between these 3 power amps. All three are roughly around the same price. I'll be using it with an ADA MP-1 w/ 3TM mod, Rocktron Xpression, and either a Recto Traditional or 1960A cab. My guitar has EMG's in it.

I am wanting a dark, heavy tone. I've heard clips of the ADA w/ a Mesa 50/50 and loved it. I have heard that the 20/20 lacks bottom end.

So, with regards to tone, which of these 3 power amps would give me a dark, heavy, tight sound for hard rock/metal. I don't want anything like a nu metal tone, just heavy and tight.

• Members

generally if you want big tight lows, don't get an EL84-based amp...

but if you just want the best overall tone from those three you listed, the 20/20 is it.

it kinda depends on how loud you want those tight lows. if you're willing to accept moderate volumes the 20/20 will definitely do the job, but if you need it really loud, it will start to get loose sooner than the 50/50.

• Members

Well, I don't want HUGE bass, that's what the bass player is for :) But I do want a heavy sound on the low end. I think the Mesa 50/50 will be fine for me. Like I said, I have heard clips of that with the ADA and it sounded killer.

Thanks for the advice guys. 50/50 it is.

• Members

Originally posted by Jimbo513

Well, I don't want HUGE bass, that's what the bass player is for
:)
But I do want a heavy sound on the low end. I think the Mesa 50/50 will be fine for me.

You'd be correct. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Cam anyone help me? I am running a POD XT Live into a closed back 212 cabinet but am looking for the right power amp! I am thinking Mesa 50/50, Mesa 20/20, Peavey Classic 50/50 and Carvin TS100.

The cheapest I have found are used Mesa 50/50s and Peavey Classic 50/50s. Is the Mesa the way since I see em used cheap!?

The cheapest I have seen the Carvin used is about $380 but I hear they are killer. I have seen Mesa 50s in excellent working order but scuffed up - who cares.:)

I am afraid the Mesa may not be transparent enough and may inpart a Mesa tone...since I use a lot of Marshall type tones on my XT Live along with Fender, Mesa...you name it...

Thoughts? Peavey? My bandmate uses the Peavey successfully.

• Members

For the money the 50/50 Mesa is the best value for the money. It is better built than any of the Peavey power amps and sounds better too, IMO. I like the 20/20 a lot too, but the 6L6 50/50 is just the {censored}!

Only the Mesa 2:90 and the 2/50/2 and 2/90/2 amp offerings from VHT are better, again IMO. The 20/20 is the best EL-84 power amp ever made. I put it 5th on the list. If you like the tone of EL-84 amps the 20/20 is the best power amp out there.

For your situation, get the Mesa 50/50.

• Members

Thanks Dirty Chains, that was a big help. With a modelling pre amp will I still retain some of the individual character of my more marshall-esque tones?

Will it be too Boogie-ish......I would prefer transparency with warmth.

• Members

Thanks Dirty Chains, that was a big help. With a modelling pre amp will I still retain some of the individual character of my more marshall-esque tones?

Will it be too Boogie-ish......I would prefer transparency with warmth.

My fear is that the 50/50 will be too loud, hence my leaning toward the Mesa 20/20.

• Members

Originally posted by richedie

My fear is that the 50/50 will be too loud, hence my leaning toward the Mesa 20/20.

Well, the 50/50 has a low power mode, drops it to 12 watts or something per channel. In either mode it plays fine in my apartment.

Archived