Recommend me some EL34 heads that do...

math2014

• Members

Have a little more patience and wait for the new Brunetti's. From what I hear they are going to be great.

Fender like clean channel, Plexi/JCM800 crunch channel, switchable boost, double master, switchable bright and mid shifts, combo's and heads, 30, 50 and 100 watts.

Giga.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Giga

Have a little more patience and wait for the new Brunetti's. From what I hear they are going to be great.

Fender like clean channel, Plexi/JCM800 crunch channel, switchable boost, double master, switchable bright and mid shifts, combo's and heads, 30, 50 and 100 watts.

Giga.

Brunetti? Made in? USA?

• Members

Thd Univalve is made for low volume ITS THE LOW VOLUME AMP !
You dont have to attenuate a one valve single ended amp as much as any other amp and because it already has 50% of its current already flowing before you even play
It goes into power tube distortion so much easier because its half way there.

You may not like its preamp but low volume is its fortae'
You can say its {censored} for any other reason than volume cause thats its biggest strength.

Now if your saying turn it up to full gain and full volume then attenuate so heavy its quieter than talking of course it will sound {censored}.
Any amp in the world even a 1watt amp would sound like cutting dry horse{censored} with a chainsaw If you did that.

With attenuation my rule is set the amp to how you would set if you where playing it and standing right in front

To the limit your ears could take without hurting then cut your master setting by 1/3 then attenuate for your bedroom pratice.
When you play normally without attenuation you dont just put the master on full in your room.

It would be too loud for you in your room!
so you cant do that with an attenuator they are not MAGIC!

Now I am not saying amps opened up on full sound bad
They sound great but you can only do that in a big room or outdoors.
I brought it up for setting attenuators normally I would just wanna crank it to the max.

• Members
Originally posted by math2014

So basically you think that a Rocker 30 or 50, will perform well at low home volumes with or without an attenuator?

Yes, at least that's the picture (sound? :idea: ) I got from playing all the models in a store's soundproof room. While they certainly sound better cranked, I thought they were pretty satisfying at low volume too. I found that the Rocker 30 was more dynamic than the Rockerverb 50 or RV 100, but the bigger amps have an fx loop and EQ for the clean channel. To be honest I felt the bigger heads were actually better sounding at low volume but that might've been just that the Rocker 30 combo I tried was a bit lacking in bottom end.

• Members
Originally posted by LaXu

Yes, at least that's the picture (sound?
:idea:
) I got from playing all the models in a store's soundproof room. While they certainly sound better cranked, I thought they were pretty satisfying at low volume too. I found that the Rocker 30 was more dynamic than the Rockerverb 50 or RV 100, but the bigger amps have an fx loop and EQ for the clean channel. To be honest I felt the bigger heads were actually better sounding at low volume but that might've been just that the Rocker 30 combo I tried was a bit lacking in bottom end.

i have an rv50 and i agree it definitely holds most of it's tone at low volumes.

but you should really pay attention to LaXu's comment about it being less "dynamic." the rv series is rather dark sounding. if you're looking for a brighter marshally vintage hard rock and metal sound you may dissapointed with the rv's. i should first say that they have a stunning clean channel - thick and clear with plenty of sparkle and responsiveness. and that thick & full sound is also very much there at all levels of gain on the dirty channel too, but i found myself wanting more brightness and searing grit. the rv gain sound is more smooth, i'd say. the sound on lower gain settings is unique and a little hard to describe, but maybe think "prickly" - if that means anything to you (someone else here described it this way and i thought it was the perfect word for it). this kinda bugged me. when playing i found myself digging in really hard trying to bring out more dynamics for leads and two note riffs, but it didn't help. the only way to get the lead sound i wanted was to use my SD-1 boost, which took to it VERY well.

where the rv50 really separates itself from the pack is in gainy rhythm playing. do a search for kannibul's AIC clips and you'll see what i mean. amazing thick tones, with just enough brightness, i'd say. i don't play this way all that often, but i think i'm hanging on to the amp for while just so i can indulge this craving once in a while. i can't imagine any amp doing much better at this sound.

and like others said i wouldn't worry too much about the pcb mounted tubes. the orange build quality seems top shelf to me.

to address my want of the brighter and more dynamic marshall-type sound i also have the Laney GH50L, which many have said does the marshall sound even better than marshall does these days (and for half the price). i just got it this week so i can't give much of a review yet, but it's VERY promising so far.

i hope this helps.

beez

• Members

Hey Beez,

Small question.

What about the GH50L's low volume performance?

And to sum it up. I do not want an amplifier that performs best only when dimed (vintage marshalls), that is my quest. To be able by using the hotplate to get "proper" tone at ear friendly volume in my living room. Thats about it.

• Members

Math basically if you like preamp distortion even a 1000 watt tube amp can sound real good at low volume.

Low volume is also a subjective amount anyway but ignore that for a minute.

If you like power tube distortion and think thats part of good tone
Then the lower the amps power the better because it will go into power tube distortion earlier and need less attenuation.

But if it power tube distortion is not something you like or need go ahead and buy a 100 or 50 watt amp with lots of features and quality build

A lot of soldano owners dont want power tube distortion and select the cleanest power tubes available because they get there sound in the preamp.

Preamp distortion isnt a bad thing I always run my preamp very hot but I like with a bit of power tube in there too.

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

Hey Beez,

Small question.

What about the GH50L's low volume performance?

And to sum it up. I do not want an amplifier that performs best only when dimed (vintage marshalls), that is my quest. To be able by using the hotplate to get "proper" tone at ear friendly volume in my living room. Thats about it.

i've never used a hotplate so i can't comment on that.

having the amp only for a week i may not be the best person to say, but like all tube amps it sounds best at high volumes. but so far i think it sounds REALLY GREAT at lower volumes too.

in general this amp is meant for power tube distortion and that's where it's best sound will be. distorting 50 watt power tubes is LOUD AS HELL and there's no real way around it. that said, i haven't even taken mine there yet and i'm really crazy about the thing!(and my ears are already ringing, too)

hell, even a 10 watt amp taken to power tube saturation will be too loud for living room volumes. so i'm not sure what to suggest for you. maybe go ahead and try the hotplate? many people here seem to love them.

beez

• 4 months later...
  • Members

The Einstein does all the tones you want and more. Great clean, great Texas mode for Classic Rock/Blues, great hot rodded JCM800 Mega Mode and the best Lead tones going with Channel 2. Amazingly flexible amp and sounds great at all volumes to boot!

• Members

Originally posted by Hawkeye17

The Einstein does all the tones you want and more. Great clean, great Texas mode for Classic Rock/Blues, great hot rodded JCM800 Mega Mode and the best Lead tones going with Channel 2. Amazingly flexible amp and sounds great at all volumes to boot!

IMHO the Einstein's mid gain tones are just horrid. Utter {censored}e.

Archived