Recommend me some EL34 heads that do...

math2014

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MATAMP!!! and they are very like oranges made by sister company they even look the same except for the color.

These amps use EL34 and it does so at really low wattages.

30 and below I think they go down to 10 watts but dont quote me on that.

I dont know how low but have seen 30 for sure!!
It has a class A switch and an el34 in class A puts out about 10 watts.

So have attenuators

Anyway they are made for low volume.

• Members

I dont like Matamp so no-go despite their good specs.

I just wonder on the low vol performance of those 3 i have listed, as well as their build quality and tone suitability for 60s and 70s hard rock (Zepellin, Sabbath, Crean and GnR)

• Members

If you like the orange why dont you like matamp!!

Those others just arent that good for low volume pratice basically your going to have to attenuate so heavily you will lose your tone.

But if you like THD why not get the UNIvalve Its has a built in hotplate attenuator and
put in an EL34

With univalve you can get good sound from 15 watts or lower depending on the type of tube and only need a little attenuation.
Its just at the right wattage sweetspot so you can get the power tube cooking a bit.

Its
loud enough to do any gig that you will get
and if your doing something bigger ( stadium or absolutely huge and I mean huge room.)
The gig will be paying enough to hire some power amps or a stack to use .

Thds have a power amp out or direct out from the hotplate so you can slave straight into a power amp for large gigs.

Or if your a volume hound get the bivalve and pull one tube for home and put it back in for big gigs.

The flexi 50 is too much you will never even be able to crank it
even at a gig let alone at home youll be arrested.

You wont even be able to crank the bivalve either
but is a smarter choice than the flexi unless you do football stadiums regularly and because its class A you can pull a valve out NO problem.

Thats what I would buy in your situation

There is the epiphone I talked about before but that only switches down to 25 so its still really loud and needs taming with quite a bit of attenuation.

Anyway this is food for thought.

• Members

Well look

The Orange is 2x EL34
The Bivalve is 2xEL34 as well
same as the Flexi 50 which is 2xEL34

My point is to get an amp that by design has a GOOD master volume that will help it get proper tone at low volume, and even better tone with the help of a hotplate, hence i dont care abotu Wattage.

In reality i would need 1-2W in order to have good non-MV performance at low volumes.

The p-t-p Orange custom shop series is made by matamp, the rest i dont know.

As for the HK duotone 4xEL34 100W it is huge wattage but i heard it has a tremendous master volume circuit.

I just need more hands on info on this.

• Members
Originally posted by math2014

Hi all.

Right i would really appreciate your suggestions on an EL34 based amp that will satisfy the following points. I have done a relative search in the market/forums etc but i want your expertise as where i live i cant test a lot of amps.

1. VERY good tones from home volume to live volume (with or without a hotplate i already have an 8ohm hotplate) in other words the MV should work well!

2. Tones: 60s and 70s blues/hard rock with a bias towards Zeppelin, GnR, Sabbath, Cream, Purple, Hendrix. (sounds like marshall teritory to me)

3. Good build quality, i dont care if it is ptp or pcb, but it must not have pcb mounted pots/valves. Must be very reliable and user serviceable (lacking qualified amp techs).

4. Preferably non-US made since i want reasonable European pricing and availability, so rocafortes, germinos etc wont work for me (budget 1500eu)

5. Preferably head.

6. Work well with pedals in order to go into metal territory if needed and a good clean channel (channel switching almost essential)

Now i have a few amps in mind that i think might fit the bill.

1. THD Flexi (US made but good Euro price) 20-50W should work awesome with a hotplate for home volumes.

2. Orange R30 head (pcb mounted stuff???)

3. Heritage Colonial (non MV???, will it work well at low volumes with a hotplate?)

4. H&K puretone/duotone (ptp wiring?)

5. Engl head?

6. Diezel Einstein head?

7. Laney GH50L/TT50H

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Add Matamp to your list!!!
I reckon a 1224 would be perfect for you. Check out www.matamp.co.uk

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

Right i would really appreciate your suggestions on an EL34 based amp that will satisfy the following points.

[...]

1. VERY good tones from home volume to live volume (with or without a hotplate i already have an 8ohm hotplate) in other words the MV should work well!

2. Tones: 60s and 70s blues/hard rock with a bias towards Zeppelin, GnR, Sabbath, Cream, Purple, Hendrix. (sounds like marshall teritory to me)

3. Good build quality, i dont care if it is ptp or pcb, but it must not have pcb mounted pots/valves. Must be very reliable and user serviceable (lacking qualified amp techs).

4. Preferably non-US made since i want reasonable European pricing and availability, so rocafortes, germinos etc wont work for me (budget 1500eu)

5. Preferably head.

6. Work well with pedals in order to go into metal territory if needed and a good clean channel (channel switching almost essential)

I recently had been searching for almost this exact set of priorities, and played through a LOT of different amps.

I settled on the Bogner Ecstasy.

The tube-switching feature solves problem 1 (Full or half power, Class A or AB, pentode or triode mode). You can dial all the way down to 7 watts, or up to 100.

It has three distinct channels (using separate tubes) with separate gain boost selection, and there's a 'Plexi' mode available on 2 & 3 that will give the Zeppelin & Hendrix tone very nicely. (They do this by putting different tube section into and out of the circuit - it's the real deal) Clean channel isn't quite up to Fender standards, but it's way better than the Marshalls. Each of the three channels has a separate master. Problem 2 solved.

Problem 3 - they use PCBs, but they use a much thicker copper plating, with outstanding mechanical board supports. Problem 3 solved.

Problem 4......

Problem 5 - Available in head or combo. (I got the head) Solved.

Problem 6 - It has a level-adjustable effects loop. There are options for series/parallel loop operation, and for individual channel level adjustments. Problem 6 solved.

I won't be obnoxious enough to say that this is the amp for everyone, but it seems that you're wanting something pretty close to what I was looking for, and it was absolutely the best choice I found on the market today.

Ain't cheap, though......

• Members

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

I recently had been searching for almost this exact set of priorities, and played through a LOT of different amps.

I settled on the Bogner Ecstasy.

The tube-switching feature solves problem 1 (Full or half power, Class A or AB, pentode or triode mode). You can dial all the way down to 7 watts, or up to 100.

It has three distinct channels (using separate tubes) with separate gain boost selection, and there's a 'Plexi' mode available on 2 & 3 that will give the Zeppelin & Hendrix tone very nicely. (They do this by putting different tube section into and out of the circuit - it's the real deal) Clean channel isn't quite up to Fender standards, but it's way better than the Marshalls. Each of the three channels has a separate master. Problem 2 solved.

Problem 3 - they use PCBs, but they use a much thicker copper plating, with outstanding mechanical board supports. Problem 3 solved.

Problem 4......

Problem 5 - Available in head or combo. (I got the head) Solved.

Problem 6 - It has a level-adjustable effects loop. There are options for series/parallel loop operation, and for individual channel level adjustments. Problem 6 solved.

I won't be obnoxious enough to say that this is the amp for everyone, but it seems that you're wanting something pretty close to what I was looking for, and it was absolutely the best choice I found on the market today.

Ain't cheap, though......

Very interesting, however i am a bit sceptical about European availability and pricing, thats all.

• Members

I recommend the Orange Rockerverbs. Check the Rockerverb 50 as well even though it has 6V6 tubes. I think all the models sound quite similar. They work very nicely at low volumes too.

I don't think the THD amps will suit you, I didn't like the Univalve at low volumes (attenuated) and the Flexi is IMO not a metal amp even with pedals plus you have to attenuate a lot to get it to home volumes and I didn't like how it sounded with the master volume on. I'm not saying they're bad amps by any means. Personally I didn't think the H&K Duotone was that great sounding at low volume. Very nice at higher volumes though.

I'll be getting the Diezel Einstein combo in a few weeks, I'll do a lengthy review and some clips then.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

I recommend the Orange Rockerverbs. Check the Rockerverb 50 as well even though it has 6V6 tubes. I think all the models sound quite similar. They work very nicely at low volumes too.

I don't think the THD amps will suit you, I didn't like the Univalve at low volumes (attenuated) and the Flexi is IMO not a metal amp even with pedals plus you have to attenuate a lot to get it to home volumes and I didn't like how it sounded with the master volume on. I'm not saying they're bad amps by any means. Personally I didn't think the H&K Duotone was that great sounding at low volume. Very nice at higher volumes though.

I'll be getting the Diezel Einstein combo in a few weeks, I'll do a lengthy review and some clips then.

LaXu thanks for the comments!

So basically you think that a Rocker 30 or 50, will perform well at low home volumes with or without an attenuator?

I am not looking for a metal amp though, i am looking for blues/hard rock basically.

I am curious to try the Flexi since it should work wonders with a hotplate, and i am very curious about the H&K duotone and puretone.

Archived