Recommend me some EL34 heads that do...

math2014

• Members

Hi all.

Right i would really appreciate your suggestions on an EL34 based amp that will satisfy the following points. I have done a relative search in the market/forums etc but i want your expertise as where i live i cant test a lot of amps.

1. VERY good tones from home volume to live volume (with or without a hotplate i already have an 8ohm hotplate) in other words the MV should work well!

2. Tones: 60s and 70s blues/hard rock with a bias towards Zeppelin, GnR, Sabbath, Cream, Purple, Hendrix. (sounds like marshall teritory to me)

3. Good build quality, i dont care if it is ptp or pcb, but it must not have pcb mounted pots/valves. Must be very reliable and user serviceable (lacking qualified amp techs).

4. Preferably non-US made since i want reasonable European pricing and availability, so rocafortes, germinos etc wont work for me (budget 1500eu)

5. Preferably head.

6. Work well with pedals in order to go into metal territory if needed and a good clean channel (channel switching almost essential)

Now i have a few amps in mind that i think might fit the bill.

1. THD Flexi (US made but good Euro price) 20-50W should work awesome with a hotplate for home volumes.

2. Orange R30 head (pcb mounted stuff???)

3. Heritage Colonial (non MV???, will it work well at low volumes with a hotplate?)

4. H&K puretone/duotone (ptp wiring?)

5. Engl head?

6. Diezel Einstein head?

7. Laney GH50L/TT50H

Thanks in advance for your replies!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by math2014

Hi all.

Right i would really appreciate your suggestions on an EL34 based amp that will satisfy the following points. I have done a relative search in the market/forums etc but i want your expertise as where i live i cant test a lot of amps.

1. VERY good tones from home volume to live volume (with or without a hotplate i already have an 8ohm hotplate) in other words the MV should work well!

2. Tones: 60s and 70s blues/hard rock with a bias towards Zeppelin, GnR, Sabbath, Cream, Purple, Hendrix. (sounds like marshall teritory to me)

Thanks in advance for your replies!

...a Marshall would probably work ;)

Clean channel not so much, but you could probably pick up a Fender for cleans as well for 1500 euros.

Otherwise, you have some really good choices listed already.

• Members

Before you mentioned a need for a clean channel I was gonna suggest a Top Hat Emplexador. You can get all the tones you mentioned (very good tones I might add) at very reasonable home volumes (great master volume) and it sounds great cranked. Top notch build quality with an external bias pot for easy home service, and it looks classy as hell. With a clean channel I'd look at:

Bogner Shiva

Orange Rockerverb

VHT 50/ST

Aiken Sabre

• Members

Great suggestions my friends but.

1. Marshalls lack on the build quality (pcb mounted valves/pots)

2. Aiken/VHT/Tophat are EXTREMELY expensive in Europe

3. Isnt Orange with pcb mounted valves and pots as well?

I would LOVE to get a US made amp, but many of them are like 80% more expensive here comparatively to the US market price.

• Members

Great suggestions my friends but.

1. Marshalls lack on the build quality (pcb mounted valves/pots)

2. Aiken/VHT/Tophat are EXTREMELY expensive in Europe

3. Isnt Orange with pcb mounted valves and pots as well?

New Marshalls might be suspect build quality wise, but old ones (jubilee and earlier) aren't IMO. Plus the PCB mounted valves/pots thing isn't as big of a deal as I think people make of it, but its your amp. Meaning I wouldn't rule out Orange because of that.

• Members

www.valvetechamps.com

Check out the VAC, a head would be $799... entirely hand wired PTP, 2 channel amp that will scream if you want it to. The 50 watt option (instead of the standard 22 watts) is only 150 extra.

Mine will be here in 2 weeks or so.. the guy that works there and owns the place is the only one who makes the amps and he does everything by hand.

• Members

The peavey windsor is a $399 list brand new according to the namm video its 120 watts 4 el34s

Its a price I almost cant beleive but he says 399 on the video

VIDEO

http://img3.harmony-central.com/Vid...Windsor_Amp.wmv

Typed description and features

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNA...PR/Windsor.html

Anyway epiphone have a high gain el34 equiped 50 watt with 25 watt switch the SO-CAL 50H for $499

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=271&CollectionID=13

I think this will leave you some change to buy another head

AAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA.

• Members

Originally posted by LiquidPCB

The peavey windsor is a $399 list brand new according to the namm video its 120 watts 4 el34s

Its a price I almost cant beleive but he says 399 on the video

VIDEO

Typed description and features

Anyway epiphone have a high gain el34 equiped 50 watt with 25 watt switch the SO-CAL 50H for $499

I think this will leave you some change to buy another head

AAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA.

That's great, but... have you played them?

• Members

What about home volume levels ? This is a 100W amp and that scares me a bit. Furthermore, is the Duotone point to point handwired?

100 watts is a bit overkill for home use but I think with a nice cab with greenies you can get pretty good results. Also you can pull out two power tubes... I love the sound of speaker cones crying, you can

• Members

The peaveys just been released at namm and I wasnt there unfortunately.

So No!

But hell for 399 its got to be worth a look Doesnt IT ??

And I dont give in depth personal reviews on tone cause I like alternative rock

For instance the stooges guitar tone is one of my favorites

as is frank blacks from pixies and kurts nirvana tone

Sex pistols rock tone is also gotta be one of the greatest ever to me

Plus a lot of other really bent tones punk/ Altern

I do love hendrixs tone but he uses fuzz or really overdriven amps

I wont play anything but tube amps and I love equipment

I am audio visual graduate ,so i love gear

I like it real dirty ,so my opinion on tone means very little,

to a lot of people.

But I just give people specs and Love of gear.

its up to them to take it further

I must admit I am a gear nerd and do get over excited about equipment.

• Members

If volume is an issue the epiphone is 50 watts and its got a half switch for 25

25 is an excelent wattage not to small not too big and enough clean headroom.

The peavey is 120 that is huge but you can always remove 2 tubes and make it sixty

This can be done without modification or damage.

And look there is about 50 el34 amps that are decent

So there is so much to choose from its almost mind boggling and ebay has a lot of unusual second hand ones too as well.

Theres also well known ones you can get a mesa stilleto for a 1000 but thats before shipping to europe.

I just focused on those two because there new and dirt cheap

I dont think there are brand new el34 heads at that price anywhere

and I have heard the EPI its a great hotrod tone but its my taste.

• Members

The peaveys just been released at namm and I wasnt there unfortunately.

So No!

I must admit I am a gear nerd and do get over excited about equipment.

Ok, but my point is he's asking for recommendations on an amp to buy with his already mentioned tones in mind. You haven't heard either of the amps you mentioned and you don't like the tones he mentioned. See where I'm heading with this?

Its like me not liking sports cars, and recommending a porsche to somebody while never having driven one in my life. Even if I really like other types of cars, that would be pretty retarded, wouldn't it?

• Members

I have tried the EPI its at the bottom

You posted that while I was typing, however you didn't mention playing it in the other thread you were hyping the epiphone in either by the way... :p

Also, if you read the guy's first post, it should be pretty clear he would not be interested in the epiphone based on his build quality preferences; also stating that a Marshall wasn't up to spec in that regard.

• Members

Any opinions on the THD Flexi 50?

I've heard some great tones from them, but haven't played one personally. I play with forumite MRScratch in a band; his other band's singer has one. Apparently his is VERY bright.

• Members

There is so much gear and new gear coming out sometimes its good just to be directed too it.

I dont want anyone here telling me what sound I am going to like

If they tell me the specs and characteristics of the equipment

I will try it and make up my own mind.

Like its got 6l6s is good blues amp (

Its got el34s its a high gain amp

its 5 watts class A and 50 bucks

ITs got 10 6550s its very loud ( well I know I wont look at that one )

Just from this you can get the feel of what its like

you cant really tell someone what something sounds like and your taste in music has a hell of lot to do with it!!

Its a 6v6 amp with woody overtones and a low crunch with tweety highs and moderate barking mids.

Thats about tone but means nothing.

• Members

THD gear is extremely well engineered and has an almost neutral tone at 12 Its not over colored.

You can also use the tone controls to get a variety of tones and it has enough gain to heavy rock it has ample gain anyway not super high gain but up there.

• Members

Ps I am not being rude to you and am glad youre contributing too thats just how I see it !

I am just trying to help in my own way

whether it does help or not doesnt matter

I enjoy participating and interacting in an environment about a subject that interests me.

Yes the FLEXI the BIvalve and UNI valve are all worth a look 2 class A and one A/B and all 3 have there own merits in fact this is the amp that will probably fit you best.

There just good rock and blues amps no question.

Archived