High watt amps that sound GREAT at low volumes...

• Members

Does such an amp exist?

Not nessesarily 300 watt heads, but maybe 40 or 50 watt amps that sound just great at conversation levels.

I'm basically looking for something like Rivera Chubster, its got everything I want, but i have heard it sound crudsome at low volumes.

any help, suggestions?

• Members

Engl's sound good at low volumes. I've just gone to a rack setup because I don't gig and wanted less power and I have total control over volume without loss of tone; it's inredible.

Engl 530 pre amp
Mesa 50/50 (lo setting)
G-Flex 2x12

Depending on the power section of the amp, you could just pull two of the tubes. Okay, not just any two, you have to take out one tube that drives the sound wave up and one that drives it down. It'll just depend on the type of amp you have.

• Members

If you're talking about high gain amps I've found that a lot of them sound really good at any volume, owing up to the fact that they get a good chunk of their tone from preamp saturation.

As far as not-so-high-gain amps, I've had great results with the peavey delta blues at low volume, cheap as {censored} too.