Clean sound and Hot Rodded Marshall sound in a channel switching amp?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Originally posted by Locky

Single Rectifier can pull those off pretty well too.

:eek: oh HELL no. i sold a Single Rec for those very reasons. it had *{censored}ty* cleans, couldn't come close to Marshall cleans, much less Fender cleans. and I couldn't get anything CLOSE to a Marshall sound of either channel.

• Members

Originally posted by the russ

:eek:
oh HELL no. i sold a Single Rec for those very reasons. it had *{censored}ty* cleans, couldn't come close to Marshall cleans, much less Fender cleans. and I couldn't get anything CLOSE to a Marshall sound of either channel.

Russ knows! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by plexipower

Mesa Stiletto.....very marshall sounding with a black face clean.

I have to disagree, I thought it didn't sound anything like a Marshall and the cleans were not that great. I thought the Lone Star Classic sounded much better in every way, though it's certainly a far cry from Marshall as well.

• Members

Laney VH100R. Very affordable. 2 channels, 4 modes: Fender BF type clean channel, fender type crunch. Lead channel drive off is a JCM800 2203/4. with the drive in, it is a souped up 800. this thing is more marshall than any current marshall. if you really want to drive the point home, install EL34's. It is a true channel switching amp with both marshal and fender topologies, and not just an amp that uses the same preamp for all modes like any mesa , peavey, and countless others. you wont be sorry!

• Members

oh HELL no. i sold a Single Rec for those very reasons. it had *{censored}ty* cleans, couldn't come close to Marshall cleans, much less Fender cleans. and I couldn't get anything CLOSE to a Marshall sound of either channel.

Your Opinion not mine and whole lotta others.

• Members

Originally posted by Peekaboo Fuzzy

I am looking for an amp that has a "vintage voiced" channel that goes from AC/DC to Randy era Ozzy but also an incredible clean channel, (never dry sounding) that stays clean when the channel levels are identical. Also, the dirty channel shouldn't be modern sounding like a Boogie Rectifier, again very Marshall, Thanks!
;)

Amps that come to mind:

All 3 of these below have a spectacular seperate clean and OD with its individual tone stack.

Aiken Sabre

Bogner Shiva

CAA OD100

Splawn Quick Rod, Budda Superdrive, Top Hat Emplexador and even the Carvin Legacy, Marshall DSL and Fender Supersonic are some great amps to check out to. Splawn, Legacy, DSL and Supersonic are the only channel switchers of that bunch though.

• Members

I agree with you. It's a very "wet" sounding amp, and I only use it for wall of sound gain.

• Members

Originally posted by Locky

Your Opinion not mine and whole lotta others.

i'm sorry you (and apparently others) feel that way. anyone who thinks that the Single Rec can get anything even remotely resembling Fender clean and Marshall crunch probably has no idea what either really sounds like. we're not talking shades of gray here, we're talking NIGHT and DAY.

Fender clean = Fender Twin

Marshall Crunch = JMP

i own/ed both of those amps and I've also owned a Single Rec and I'm telling this forum that the Single Rec can do NEITHER.

• Members

Maybe you were playing through a bad cab. But I've even heard recordings on here with Single Rect. that did the marshall thing. It took me awhile to realize that those tones were in the Rectos. Lower bass, high mids, tamed treble, and high presence gets me there. Of course if you have the gain too high it won't sound like a marshall because they have more gain.

As for the cleans I don't recall comparing the recto to a fender. They don't compare. But I do think the Recto cleans are far better then the marshall cleans.

But once again our opinions will be different.

• Members

nah. at various times i had it through a Marshall slant with G12M's, Marshall slant with 75's, and a marshall straight with 75's. not bad cabs. the amp is just voiced completely different than those sounds. it has Mesa cleans and Mesa dirt. it sounds like a Mesa, which i consider its own thing.

i screwed around with that Single Rec probably far longer than I should have. after a while I even stuck an EQ in the loop and did some serious shaping. I could get it bright like a Marshall, but it always sounded completely like a Mesa... just a bright Mesa. the one time I got close was when I stuck an SD-1 in front of it. that cut some of the lows and gave it more of a midrange snarl. the cleans I wanted to sound like a Fender... ANY Fender. never even got in the ballpark.

i say, if you like Mesa cleans and you like Mesa distortion, the Single Rec will get you there for cheap. but as far as getting Marshall crunch and having a great clean channel, it would be far from my first choice. if you're stuck with it, you can make it work, but something else will do the job better.

i agree to disagree. shake hands, good game!

• Members

Thanks for the spirited debating and all of the amp possibilities! You guys still haven't chimed back in on the JCM 800 2205 though. Is this amp a good JCM 800 for cleans too? Will there be jumps in levels when switching channels? What are your overall thoughts on the 2205, especially the late 80's ones? Thanks again.

• Members

You're describing the Marshall 6100LM. If you tweak the bias, you get an exceptional Fendery clean. I've played a few, bias and tubes make a huge difference. The last one I played was a combo, and the cleans were exceptional. All the Marshall grind was still there. Plus, you can store as many presets as you'd like via midi. That makes it a 99 channel amp, or however many midi channels your controller will handle. Pretty much like the Triaxis in that department. I plan on getting one soon. Read the reviews.

6100LM HC Reviews

• Members

Originally posted by PC Biz

You're describing the Marshall 6100LM. If you tweak the bias, you get an exceptional Fendery clean. I've played a few, bias and tubes make a huge difference. The last one I played was a combo, and the cleans were exceptional. All the Marshall grind was still there.

Yup. Loved mine.

Plus, you can store as many presets as you'd like via midi. That makes it a 99 channel amp, or however many midi channels your controller will handle. Pretty much like the Triaxis in that department.

No. It is just a three channel amp and you can switch between the three channels via MIDI. That's all.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Surprised no ones mentioned it but the Orange RK50 does an awesome old school Marshall tone and a great clean sound. The cleans sound more british than Fender but they're fantastic, as is the reverb. I tried a Shiva and to me it was the same idea just not as good and not as much range on the gain control. The Orange does the lower gain stuff better IMO and has higher gain on tap.

• Members

Carvin Legacy.....great clean channel and the distortion is great for 80's metal type of stuff. You should try one b/c it might not be for you, its a tad on the dark side so you'd have to dime the treble and presence. The distortion channel has a more gain than a JCM 800, but not much more. Its great for 80's metal, but for zack wylde distortion (yup the 357 asshole) you'd need pedal. But a great amp for soloing....its just so damn fluid sounding. I would go w/ the legacy over a 2205, better clean and distortion IMO.