Clean sound and Hot Rodded Marshall sound in a channel switching amp?

Peekaboo Fuzzy

• Members

I am looking for an amp that has a "vintage voiced" channel that goes from AC/DC to Randy era Ozzy but also an incredible clean channel, (never dry sounding) that stays clean when the channel levels are identical. Also, the dirty channel shouldn't be modern sounding like a Boogie Rectifier, again very Marshall, Thanks! ;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the suggestions. UberXTC, Bogner's have been lauded as amazing amps, but somehow the sound clips I have heard never really seemed to capture the souped up Marshall tone to my ears.:confused: What is a CAA OD100? Carr amps are great sounding amps, but very hi fi sounding IMO although great nonetheless. Josh Savoy, are you refering to the Rivera KR55 (Knucklehead)?

• Members

you described the rivera r-series/suprema/chubster amps pretty much exactly. they're all different configurations of the same theme.

the quiana/fandango/kh amps are a little different, more versatile but not necessarily better for what you described.

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

that looks purty. what is it?

...well, if I would have put the right picture up, it just happens to be a Marshall 4210/2205...(modded, of course!) Fender BF cleans and Marshall 2555 type OD...

1_0421.jpg

Jeff Seal

• Members

DSL wont do it. Mainly because the red channel sucks. Channel one with a boost sounds kickass, but it takes away the cleans when you boost it. IMO only.

The Carvin MTS has a mundane clean channel, and the overdrive channel is too bassy and preamp fizzy to cut through well. With an eq maybe, but by itself, it can get buried easily as it doesn't have the priminent high mids like a Marshall. My brother brought his to jam with us and got lost in the mix.

I'm thinking tremoberb or stilletto may be what you are looking for.

• Members

Hey guys, thanks for all of your suggestions. Rivera KR55/other sounds the closest, given the criteria, for a non Marshall channel switching amp.

As far as Marshalls go, however, I always thought that the cleans were very dry and brittle sounding except for say a JTM 45? Maybe not? The DSL series and TSL series are cool, but things begin to work in the opposite direction with those: decent useable clean channel but a design that seems to favor gobs of pre-amp distortion. Can the DSL's and TSL's really out do the JMP/JCM 800's for the vintage sound of classic power amp distortion? Based on the majority of H.C reviews I've read, probably not.... However, the JCM 800 2205's could be the ticket. I have posted about those before. Does this Marshall really have a great clean sound? Don't forget, I was hoping to be able to set the levels for each channel so that there would be no sudden jumps in volume when switching back and forth. Can the JCM 800 2205 do channel switching without needing to compensate for a volume increase by rolling back the volume on the guitar? Do the channels on the JCM 800 2205 have indepedent volumes? If so, then it could work!

Archived