Trying to figure out Logic Pro...

thom

• Members

What I wanna do is program drums over my buddies "songs". Basicly just soundscapes made out of keyboards, synths, samples and guitars, on which I'd like to put a beat.

The way I wanted to learn how to do it: Just by giving it a shot, and tackling problems as I go along...

That turns out to be harder then I hoped though, so I'd really appreciate it if someone here could give me a little help somehow.

I get the basic tracks by e-mail, they're just mp3's which I import into Logic 8.

The time line thingy always snaps to a bar or a beat of whatever, but the timing of the original track isn't exactle perfect. So I'm "drawing" beat by beat with the piano roll, but I can't seem to put the beats at the exact spot where I want em.

I know I sound like a total noob, but this sort of thing was easy as hell on my old pc with Cubase SX and Proppelerheadz Reason...

Anyone here have any idea what I'm trying to say here? What would be a good way to add drums on excisting tracks?

Thanks a lot.

• Members

What you want, ideally, is the same as what happens in Ableton Live where you drag a beat into an audio track and it immediately starts marking the spots where the drums are hit with markers. Then, these markers are "warped" to the correct spots of the bars and beats.

Logic 9 has something like this - it's called Flex Time. I don't know how 8 can help you.

Worst case scenario: split up your mp3 files (they should've given you FLAC or WAV files and use a filehost if the files are too big to send by mail) in an audio editor, cut them into groups of 4 beats, and timestretch each beat so it fits properly. Better: fire the drummer or force him to play to a click track.

• Members

http://www.macprovideo.com

They have THE BEST video tutorials on Logic etc....

The best part is they are having a 50% sale that ends tonight. You can also just get the one video that you need - pick and choose. I just ordered about six tutorials. I have gone through the tutorial on Sibelius and Mainstage and these are the best way to learn!!!

Good Luck

Archived