Got a Fantom G7 - Yay for Me! Let the Flames Begin...

GigMan

• Members

The short and simple version (as I have posted some of this in another thread already):

- all brand new and all since last December! Funny, I didn't upgrade the rig for years and years and now I'm on a vicious cycle... stop the merry-go-round I want to get off! :lol:

• Members

Nice.

Me, I've been soured on Roland Romples as of late. I had a Juno-G for about a week and couldn't say anthing nice about it.....Perhaps the Fantom line is better. That IS pretty much a top end board, and the Juno-G was entry level.

You can actually PLAY Prelude/Angry Young Man ? You have a MIDI file you wanna share ? That's on my list of must learns.

If you want a good workout, try Bostons Foreplay on a Piano *ouch*

• Members

CONGRATS ... !!!

I really want to get a G7 or even an G6 ...

I love the new functions, faster operation and better sampler (something that's not mentioned much since it's relative to Fan-X and not other workstations) ...

... but IMO the G's soundset is decidedly weaker compared with fully SRX-expanded X and the ARX expansions are not worth a damn at this point (for me anyway) ...

I'd have to get an Fabtom XR or keep the X7 ...

With recent JP-8 purchase that's a bit of a stretch as Fan-X7 really still does the job for me ...

• Members

CONGRATS ... !!!

I really want to get a G7 or even an G6 ...

I love the new functions, faster operation and better sampler (something that's not mentioned much since it's relative to Fan-X and not other workstations) ...

... but IMO the G's soundset is decidedly weaker compared with fully SRX-expanded X and the ARX expansions are not worth a damn at this point (for me anyway) ...

I'd have to get an Fabtom XR or keep the X7 ...

With recent JP-8 purchase that's a bit of a stretch as Fan-X7 really still does the job for me ...

Yah, it'd be nice to see an ARX expansion board for the G series, w/good organs on it & some "synthy" sounds - perfect! I'll buy one as a Christmas present to myself... :lol:

• Members

I think the G7 is the least intresting of the big 3, cause the sounds have already been there 10 years ago recycled to death, and the FX arent nothing to brag about (although they are usable, except the overdrive).

So, basicly the ARX is the only hope for the G, It is a lot more intresting than other boards. And with 500

• Members

Congrats, GigMan!
:thu:

Definitely update to 1.30 before you get too deep, as it contains a lot of content (updated Live Sets, rhythm patterns, etc.) and you can't easily merge content between projects.

There are four new preset pianos too.

That's cool, though pianos are pretty well covered already - it needs a few more good organs or synth patches! ;)

• Members

You can actually PLAY Prelude/Angry Young Man ? You have a MIDI file you wanna share ? That's on my list of must learns.

I think I have the sheet music to Prelude. It's really not that hard to play as long as you have a keyboard with good quick action. I used to be able to play it on my grand but the action needs serious regulation!!

I'll try to find the music and scan it for e-mail if you want.

• Members

Why would we flame you for getting a cool new piece of kit?

I considered the G8 very seriously when shopping for a hammer-action digital piano but settled on the RD700-GX because I did not want another workstation and really enjoyed the immediacy of the RD when I demo'd it - it is all a preference sort of thing. I use it just like that for practicing too - put on the headphones, turn it on and play the piano and sometimes recall my modeled EP setup.

I watched all the Gem Godfrey demos of the Fantom on Roland's site a couple of times though - really nice short little demos of how the work flows. I also played with one quite a bit in the store. I dunno if the organ patches on the Fantom work the same as on the RD where you get a virtual tonewheel set-up and a couple of menu pages of settings - including parameters to change how the rotating speaker effect works. You might want to look into that to try to change the sound more to your liking. I have only just used the basic presets on the RD - messing around since I am not really using it normally as an organ simulator. I talked the sales dude at GC to throw in an expression pedal (and some other goodies) with the board and have mapped the pedal input to control the Leslie speed - that is fun to mess with but I am not good at it.

• Members
I think the G7 is the least intresting of the big 3, cause the sounds have already been there 10 years ago recycled to death, and the FX arent nothing to brag about (although they are usable, except the overdrive).

IMO, Roland has the best effects of the big three. Plus, you get a dedicated FX processor for each of the 16 internal parts, plus two more MFX processors, plus an extra reverb, plus an extra chorus/delay, plus a dedicated FX processor for the input, plus a mastering processor.

So, basicly the ARX is the only hope for the G, It is a lot more intresting than other boards. And with 500

• Members

The RD700-GX has the EP ARX board built in. I played with the sound models until I got something I liked then just saved the setup and forgot about it. I enjoy playing it for jazz and whatnot but having never played a real EP so I have no basis of comparison. The expansion slots available on the RD are SRX board slots so that is one place where the Fantom has more open options. Being it is a workstation and the RD is an EP that makes sense to me.

• Members

grats on the new keys.

one of the features of the fantom that i found most intriguing is the skip back sampling feature. it seems to me like it could be put to some creative uses. this vid shows off the feature quite nicely. go go gadget resampling.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

IMO, Roland has the best effects of the big three. Plus, you get a dedicated FX processor for each of the 16 internal parts, plus two more MFX processors, plus an extra reverb, plus an extra chorus/delay, plus a dedicated FX processor for the input, plus a mastering processor.Hope so. Roland seems to be focusing on one-trick-pony sounds right now, but as I understand it, each ARX board has the same processing power as a whole Sonic Cell. I agree it'd be cool if there were a 16-part multitimbral, 128-voice orchestral board with a ton of missing SRX waveforms, or a 4-part V-Synth VA engine, or B3 organ modeling.It's very similar to a V-Drum brain where you can fully build each modeled drum (shell thickness, depth, tuning, mic position, muffling, etc.). Plus, the flams and rolls automatically sync to tempo, and the board adds an
extra
MFX and reverb on top of the G's built-in 22 effects processors. But even cooler, each drum within the kit gets its
own
compressor and two-band EQ, and it uses its own 128 notes of polyphony and adds an extra part to the G's part mixer.ARX-02 is the electric piano board. Only played with it a bit. Sounds good, and you can really tweak the models (tine condition, mic position to the bell, etc.), but I'm happy with the EP samples I already have. ARX-03 is the brass, and I haven't heard it, but conceptually, it does some interesting things outside of the traditional multi-tone ROMpler architecture.

Whoops, I missed that one. Well the EP is okay if it sounds good. (never tested).

Yes the FX on fantoms may be the best of big 3 and kurzweil, but they still arent the best. And the FX just wont save the old samples.

The boards should have more processing power than sonic cell, the price is almost the same, and the boards pretty much only need the processor, compared to sonic cell which has casing outputs/inputs/lots of electronics etc. Plus processors get faster and cheaper every year. Not saying it necessarily has.

Also I saw a band with G live, got destryoed by Triton LEs sounds... Well the player was probably just crappy =P. (mostly string sounds).

• Members

I'll second a thumbs up for Roland effects. Their rich liquid aperiodical choruses with exceptionally long adjustable predelays are the best in current workstations. Their guitar amp sim sags just right when you back off the keys and then snarls with authority when you hit the keys hard. There's nothing anywhere like Roland's mind-blowing mod-delays. As a group I'd rate Roland's effects as best in a workstation.

As in all workstations there's old waveforms mixed with new in the Fantom G. Brand new (not in any Roland product or expansion board) in the G series include some of the pianos, vocal groups, and choirs. There are undoubtedly others too but these are among my focus sounds so I checked them first.

I'm absolutely not going to flame you Gary. I think the "G" series is fantastic - especially for live use. I spot them all the time in touring bands - more than anything else. Their live performance features are unique to the brand and make them especially valuable to the touring keyboard player.

• Members

Also I saw a band with G live, got destryoed by Triton LEs sounds... Well the player was probably just crappy =P. (mostly string sounds).

Do you mean that the Triton Le's sounds trumped the Fantom G's sounds? Ouch - that hurts... my new $2,300 workstation/flagship Roland machine is outclassed by my 7.5 yr. old Triton Le, whose recent flakiness was the sole reason driving my purchase of and eventual dissatisfaction w/a Korg M50, resulting in my going for the BIG ticket item Fantom G7 instead... :lol:

• Members

I'm absolutely not going to flame you Gary. I think the "G" series is fantastic - especially for live use. I spot them all the time in touring bands - more than anything else. Their live performance features are unique to the brand and make them especially valuable to the touring keyboard player.

Thx Bill - my bandleader also noticed that most touring guys or bands that come on Saturday Night live, etc... seem to have either Motifs or Fantoms. I already have the S90ES, which is a Motif w/out the sequencer or sampler, so I started w/looking at, buying and ultimately returning the Korg kit (M50) so finally the Fantom seemed like the logical end result of my search to replace the Triton Le - get a Fantom G! ;) I did consider the Roland Juno Stage and for someone starting out I think the Stage is a great buy - esp. right now when Roland will give you a free analog SRX plug in card w/purchase.

I wouldn't rule out getting a used Triton Rack some time down the line though - just to beef up the selection of electronica for some gigs. I have enought to learn about using the Fantom itself for now, though - hoping to get it together enough for this Saturday's wedding gig... :eek::p

• Members

OK, I'll take the bait and be the first to slam you. You just wasted at least $1K for no good reason at all. It was terrible of you to buy a new Fantom G7, because you should've bought:

A used Fantom X7.

You friggen money wasting bourgeois new synth buying cake eater. You didn't even sell half your gear to get it. Don'cha know it's a depression out here? It's like you're bringing out a whole smoked BBQ pig to eat by yourself in front of a soup line. The natives are getting restless. We're about go French Revolution on some people's asses. That's because we all wish we were you. Maybe some French Haircuts, about one foot short of the top, might level the playing field.

(Of course, I'm joking, in case anyone can't see that). Although I'm trying to find a good pitchfork, torch, and sickle. Home Depot sells four different pitchforks, but I don't know which one is best for rampaging townsfolk.

Ok, now THAT's the kind of flame-war I'm lookin' for... ha ha! :lol:

Archived