Saving Sounds on S90ES - User Banks?

GigMan

• Members

A question for S90ES users:

In preparation for a gig Saturday I'm going thru my Fantom G7, identifying good sounds, listening, etc... and I also decided to finally create some custom sounds on my S90ES (I'd done a couple back in January, right after I bought the thing)...I just combined Voices to make a Performance: I took the Voice named "KeyBallad" which has nice acoustic piano and Rhodes combined... and I added "Warm String Section" or something... now it sounds really nice.

I saved my creation to #127 - a dopey Performance with a synth lead and strings, which I'll never use - and even renamed it. But is there a place where I can save these edited patches w/out having to overwrite existing ones? I see "Usr1, Usr2" buttons but I'm still not clear on what the heck they really do - and I have read the f'in manual, thank you yes...

On an aside, I haven't cracked open the Fantom menu yet and have been able to save sounds to Favorites and create custom patches w/ease. :facepalm::p

• Members

The User1 and User2 buttons each call up a User Bank consisting of 128 Patches (or 128 Performances in Performance mode). In Performance mode, there are ONLY 128 Performances available on board (factory and user) so the User1 button will light up while the User2 button is N/A.

The bottom line is you do have to overwrite an existing Performance to save your piano/rhodes/strings thingy. The included software does not allow you save or edit Performances which sucks big time, but I still love the board to death.

Hope that's clear enough.

• Members

One of the shortcomings on the pre-XS S90 models is the lack of multiple "initialized" memory banks into which you can freely write your edited sounds without fear of overwriting something cool. The new S70/90XS has solved for this. Not sure why it took Yamaha this long to do it.

So the short answer to your question is you will need to overwrite something else. In Voice mode, there are user banks that have duplicates of some of the presets, but not the case in Performance (may be a few dupes or similars). What I did many years ago on my S90 was go through all the Performances and evaluate them: "would this setup serve as a killer gig sound or a template for something useful?" If the answer was no, I would edit the name of the Perf and change the first character to a "#"

Then when I am looking for a slot into which to save another edited Perf, I simply look for anything that starts with # and overwrite it. That is how I minimized the risk of losing good sounds.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

The User1 and User2 buttons each call up a User Bank consisting of 128 Patches (or 128 Performances in Performance mode). In Performance mode, there are ONLY 128 Performances available on board (factory and user) so the User1 button will light up while the User2 button is N/A.

The bottom line is you do have to overwrite an existing Performance to save your piano/rhodes/strings thingy. The included software does not allow you save or edit Performances which sucks big time, but I still love the board to death.

Hope that's clear enough.

I understand the "bottom line" part, I have to blow away an existing Performance to save mine. Still not clear on everything else you wrote above that... :p:facepalm:

• Members

One of the shortcomings on the pre-XS S90 models is the lack of multiple "initialized" memory banks into which you can freely write your edited sounds without fear of overwriting something cool. The new S70/90XS has solved for this. Not sure why it took Yamaha this long to do it.

So the short answer to your question is you will need to overwrite something else. In Voice mode, there are user banks that have duplicates of some of the presets, but not the case in Performance (may be a few dupes or similars). What I did many years ago on my S90 was go through all the Performances and evaluate them: "would this setup serve as a killer gig sound or a template for something useful?" If the answer was no, I would edit the name of the Perf and change the first character to a "#"

Then when I am looking for a slot into which to save another edited Perf, I simply look for anything that starts with # and overwrite it. That is how I minimized the risk of losing good sounds.

Regards,

Eric

The # sign thing is an EXCELLENT idea, Eric, thanks.

But what I will wind up with is the good Performances that came onboard and then the ones I've saved - in no particular numerical order, right? ie, onboard Performances #1 -6 are good, then a sucky one, then 3 more are good, then sucksville... my saves are going to in those suck-time slots - which will be scattered chronologically throughout the numbers 1-128, right?

• Members

It seems to be the same way in Master mode, yes? ie, I would have to overwrite existing Master patches that suck... :confused:

When creating/editing patches I'm saving into Performances - but when saving multiple Performances into a single sound, I'd save into Master mode, is that the deal?

• Members

You can always recall factory settings. On the Yamaha, I take control of 16 patches/performances/masters - at a time. Then they are one keypress away. Everything from the factory that's usable is shunted off to the back. At this point, I am about halfway through the two user banks in gig organized patches. Of course I have hundreds of my own, less useful patches on computer.

Just make sure you save your work on a computer or media so you can find it again.

• Members

It seems to be the same way in Master mode, yes? ie, I would have to overwrite existing Master patches that suck...
:confused:

When creating/editing patches I'm saving into Performances - but when saving multiple Performances into a single sound, I'd save into Master mode, is that the deal?

I think you're mixing up the terminology some. Patch= voice mode.

Performance mode- allows you to combine 2 or more patches(voices) into splits and layers.

Master mode allows you to call up any type of voice configuration- voice, performance, sequence setup. All master mode does is let you organize different types of sounds into one interface. I use this exclusively on my board. I'll have my voice patches like pianos and eps, my performances where I might have a split set up for a certain song, or things like piano with strings where I can add the strings in with one of the faders.

You are right that there really isn't an easy way to organize the performances. You get a couple in a row that might be useful then one that is not. Eric's idea of using a # to identify performances that are not usable is a great one, I'm going to incorporate that.

The user banks are for patches. One of them is a duplicate of built in patches, so that is the bank I use for my custom sounds. I can't recall which one it is though.

There is no ROM bank of performances- all of them can be overwritten. I think if you wanted to really organize them, you'd need a 3rd party editor. Performance editors are not included with the free software you can download.

What I suggest is you use master mode, and then you can place your sounds in a logical order for you. It doesn't matter where the performance or voice patch is stored, you can edit the master mode setting and point it to the patch or performance you want.

I have my master mode organized in a way that works for me. All of the A bank is acoustic piano variations. Plain pianos, pianos with other sounds layered with them. Bank B is all EP's. Rhodes, wurlis, clavs- both single voices and layered with other sounds. C- strings/choirs/pads D- horns and misc E- leads. F,G,H are all sounds that are particular to a song- this is where I keep my weird splits and custom sounds I need for different songs we play. I keep an excel spreadsheet for my band songlist that has the master patch number along with the song, so when I make up a set list, I list the patch for the song right on the set list.

It takes a little time to organize but once master mode is setup, it's so easy to use live.

• Members

Dan nailed it...I have written a few short novels on the usefulness of Master mode, probably on this forum and for sure on the sninety.com forum years ago. Master mode is just a bunch of pointers to Voices and Performances, so feel free to overwrite any and all of them. It matters not what order your Performances get saved when you put them in order via pointing to them using Master mode.

Regards,

Eric

Archived