SoundwaveLove

• Members

We've got the APC40 for 400 bucks:

apc40.png

The Livid Ohm for $600

216575.jpg

and the Novation launch pad for $200

ableton_novation_launchpad.jpg

Money is an issue, I'm thinking the APC40 has the most bang for buck, with pads AND knobs and silders. The Ohm looks cool as hell but what can it really do that the apc can't?

Launch pad seems cool, but no knobs? no cross fader? seems to com up a bit short? What yall think?

• Members

Size is also a consideration. The APC 40 is larege enough to require a separate bag as well as more table space. The launch pad is small enough to fit over the laptop keyboard (with jacks on the side!!) and you could easily add a small controller such as the MAudio knob / slider boxes, the NanoKontrols or the Akai nano rip offs and only be a little more than half the APC 40. that's my choice.

I mostly play back clips too, so the launch pad is a good choice for that. I could see using the apc 40 for studio use though. it allows you to arm and record tracks and everything else from the front.

• Members

Even though the apc and the ohm have knobs and sliders. I still choose my monome. Enough different ableton apps to suit your needs weather for clip launching or for creating whole songs and at 500, 800, or 1400. I think its the best bang for the buck in the grid controller category (besides not having sliders or knobs) just my .02 cents

• Members

Even though the apc and the ohm have knobs and sliders. I still choose my monome. Enough different ableton apps to suit your needs weather for clip launching or for creating whole songs and at 500, 800, or 1400. I think its the best bang for the buck in the grid controller category (besides not having sliders or knobs) just my .02 cents

Which one do you have? and what does it do that the launchpad cannot do?

• Members

The launch pad is small enough to fit over the laptop keyboard ...

this *is* an excellent 'feature', didn't even think of that.

... I could see using the apc 40 for studio use though. it allows you to arm and record tracks and everything else from the front.

this is what does it for me. i figure that with the APC i should be able to sequence parts just as easily as i used to with my MPC. hate dicking with the mouse for this sort of thing. wish it had knobs instead of sliders though.

• Members

I have an arduinome and a 256 i guess once some one writes the midi to serial software it will run as a monome but then you have larger buttons and some apps from what i have read dont run as well or at all. Most people dont care but monome's are made in america not in china. But i would say my biggest personal complaint with the launch pad would be button size i prefer the extremely tiny buttons that make up the monome.

• Members

this is what does it for me. i figure that with the APC i should be able to sequence parts just as easily as i used to with my MPC. hate dicking with the mouse for this sort of thing. wish it had knobs instead of sliders though.

I can do that with my nanokontrol quite easily as well.

• Members

I have the APC-40. It's awesome from both a production and performance standpoint. I haven't even started exending its capabilities yet - stock is can do so much and really makes Ableton/PC feel like a piece of hardware.

I love my X-Station 25, but am strongly considering selling it picking up the Akai LPK25 for live performances...there's never enough room in a DJ booth. :)

• Members

Which one do you have? and what does it do that the launchpad cannot do?

The Launchpad does not support Open Sound Control, whereas the Monome does.

Also, the Monome runs Max/MSP patches.

If you don't need OSC or Max 5/MaxMSP/Max For Live, then the Launchpad might be a better deal.

• Members

The Launchpad does not support Open Sound Control, whereas the Monome does.

Also, the Monome runs Max/MSP patches.

If you don't need OSC or Max 5/MaxMSP/Max For Live, then the Launchpad might be a better deal.

I'm pretty sure the Launchpad does Max for Live - it's listed on the Ableton site as a feature.

• Members

I'm pretty sure the Launchpad does Max for Live - it's listed on the Ableton site as a feature.

You're right.

Launchpad appears to be a really good deal if you only use Ableton Live and Max For Live.

The Monome is better suited as a general purpose controller (not specific to Ableton), plus it has the built-in accelerometer.

Archived