Test drove a Madison Divinity today...

The Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

Yeah Riffy you sick BASTARD. We've all just about had ENOUGH of you and your antics. Every day it's the same old thing, troll troll troll. We're getting sick of it.

I know James. I know... I am a horrible influence here... The lies and disinformation I spread. I am so ashamed... I can't live with myself any longer... I need to find the nearest bridge and just throw myself off of it... Skink has spoken!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by xMadiMx

That's all the way you dialed in the amp than.. there's a reason I get calls from guys who are endorsed and using the same amp you have after hearing bands like If Hope Dies live.
:)

Man, I'd 100% disagree with this here. I like If Hope Dies pretty well and their album tone kills, but their live tone at the Indy show was god awful, no offense. I was up by the stage and back in the back of the room and all over and through the PA or straight from the cab, the tone flat out sucked. I'm inclined to say it was the cabs and/or settings, but whatever it was, it sucked. Too bad, the band was pretty cool. But, the tone was so scooped and bassy, you couldn't hear anything distinguishable, thus the remarks about clarity seem completely the opposite of what I've heard. Granted, it could have been many things, settings, room acoustics, etc., but no matter where I stood or whether it was FOH or amp tone itself, those guitars were completely lost in the mix and just flubby bass and buzzsaw highs.

Just my .02, and it doesn not reflect on the band at all, just the tone of the Divinities I heard THAT NIGHT.

I should say, too, that this venue is like our hometown venue, so I know the room pretty well, IMHO.

Still Remains' 5150 tones and ESPECIALLY Demiricous's combination of 5150 and Mark IV tones were much better, IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by nwright

Man, I'd 100% disagree with this here. I like If Hope Dies pretty well and their album tone kills, but their live tone at the Indy show was god awful, no offense. I was up by the stage and back in the back of the room and all over and through the PA or straight from the cab, the tone flat out sucked. I'm inclined to say it was the cabs and/or settings, but whatever it was, it sucked. Too bad, the band was pretty cool. But, the tone was so scooped and bassy, you couldn't hear anything distinguishable, thus the remarks about clarity seem completely the opposite of what I've heard. Granted, it could have been many things, settings, room acoustics, etc., but no matter where I stood or whether it was FOH or amp tone itself, those guitars were completely lost in the mix and just flubby bass and buzzsaw highs.

Just my .02, and it doesn not reflect on the band at all, just the tone of the Divinities I heard THAT NIGHT.

I wonder if they used an eq in the loop. I cannot get mine to sound scooped at all(not my sound anyway). It is a bassy amp but it has a ton of midrange. I like mine more than it do my Splawn modded Marshall

• Members

Like I said, it could have been many things. I will say that I've heard only one Madison cab, used at GC, and it sounded horrid. I'm thinking this could be the main factor here. Also, it could have been that there was so much bass it overpowered the mids into sounding scooped, who knows. But, I could hear chugs and that was about it. Anything that wasn't an open chug was completely indistinguishable.

• Members

Seriously though, I'm going strictly on sound with the Divinity and hopefully the amp will hold up on the reliability side. I guess everyone is different with tone. I knew immediately upon plugging in that I liked the sound of the amp. I haven't got that feeling with alot of amps that I really thought I would love. I got that instant gratification with the Peavey Triple-XXX and JSX but not with the ENGL Fireball or Marshall Splawn. Strange...

I have had the same issues with a lot of stuff but like you when I first plugged into the XXX and JSX I knew they were for me. I have had that same feeling with the VHT Pitbull, H and K Trilogy and some Mesa's over the years. I have also plugged into some Bogner, Orange, Marshall, Boogies and countless other amps I was sure I would love and didn't. I would love to try a Madison as well as a lot of other stuff to see fi they fit me or not. There are really no bad amps that are discussed on here just ones that fit people's style or not.

• Members

I love my Divinty and look at the amps I have owned in my sig... All the amps I have owned are killer but the divinty does just what I want...

I do boost the amp with my ts-9 and I dont think I would like the amp as much if I did not... Some amps I have owned need a boost and some dont...

onehourburn

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by LordOVchaoS

On that note, my true belief (and I apologize if I'm wrong) is that you're a troll that has never played the amp and you are merely jealous of its sudden popularity.

Why would I be jealous of a budget amp, from a relatively new manufacturer, that is built in another country, and has virtually no track record of being roadworthy?

That said, I'd take a 5150 in a heartbeat before the Divinity and nothing is going to change that. IMO, when the hype dies down on these forums many others will do/see the same.

:idea:

• Members

I do boost the amp with my ts-9 and I dont think I would like the amp as much if I did not... Some amps I have owned need a boost and some dont...

How does the boost affect the tone of the?

I love my Divinity completely stock. It's super clear, tight as hell and get very thick when the volume get up there.

• Members

Originally posted by ebrecordings

one thing i've noticed is that most of the people that try mine don't like it at first, but after messing with it for a bit, get extremely stoked about it. craig had it on for about 1 minute or less, so i think he needs to try it again and mess with it
:p
. guitarist17 came over to my house one day to check it out, and was not at all impressed at first, but played on it for about a half hour and left saying he absolutely had to have one.

but i can see why some people may not like it, i just don't see how anyone can say it's complete crap.

true fact. I liked it at first, but wasnt like wow! about it ya know? But after awhile, messing with the controls (and turning up the volume, which everyone needs to do to judge this amp) i was floored, really impressed with edge 1 and edge 2. :D

Chris

• Members

I should say, too, that this venue is like our hometown venue, so I know the room pretty well, IMHO.

Still Remains' 5150 tones and ESPECIALLY Demiricous's combination of 5150 and Mark IV tones were much better, IMO.

still remains and if hope dies run their amps at 0-3/4 mids. thats why they didnt cut, most likely. and dimiricous doesnt use mark iv's, they used an f-100 head - which was gross, imo. still remains was running a 5150 and a rackmount mark iv, with the mids scooped. the guitars didnt cut as good for if hope dies, but the whole show was pretty good.

• Members

What I can't figure out is why I am a troll here...lol

I play the cheapest POS amp of more than likely anyone on this board... It is a Peavey Triumph from the 80's for goodness sakes.

What did I have to gain by bashing anyone elses amp. Nothing.

I didn't bash an amp either. I just pointed out what a liar PRMike is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gary

• Members
Originally posted by DirrtyCraig

I'm only posting cause I agree 100% with you. Not trolling I swear!
:D

Tried a Divinity at ampfest Saturday, with my own guitar and a super high quality cab.. and it sounded like complete ass. I just don't get the hype with these things. Theres nothing there, nothing redeemable at all with these amps, other than price.

+1, Ralphie and I played it at NAMM and shared the same concencus..... It sounded like ass. One would think that the Demo piece would sound Ok....not our experience

• Members

I was impressed with the Divinity but it's ok others are not.

I do think it's geared more toward metal-heads but I'm

pretty sure I could gig with it "Classic rock and blues"

I'd rather have it at the gig then my old 5150 that I used to love

until I needed a clean channel then got a Soldano HR+ instead.

I'm pretty sure you could make a Divinity sound like crap

by a wrong speaker cab and poor EQing but that goes

with just about any amp I guess.

I still think the 5150 is the "most bang per dollar" rock amp

on the planet but I'd rather have a Divinity AND if you guys

couldn't make it sound like a good amp I'll bet I could.;):thu:

BTW no disrespect intended to the other opinions here.

The 5150 is cheaper but the Divinity is at a good price point

too and they have a pretty good reliability track record.

Looks like it's pretty well made Clean/PCB layout.

I don't give a crap where it's made long as it holds

up and sounds good and is affordable.

Either way....Rock on ! TIMMMAAAYYY!!!

• Members

Originally posted by xMadiMx

That's all the way you dialed in the amp than.. there's a reason I get calls from guys who are endorsed and using the same amp you have after hearing bands like If Hope Dies live.
:)

I totally agree everything nwright has said, and this was what I experienced two nights ago at their show in Iowa City. I went to this show because I like If Hope Dies and I really wanted to hear the Divinity in person because I was considering buying one.

Demiricous played first. Guy on the left had a 5150 and guy on right had a Mesa F-100. Their tone was great! If Hope Dies played next and they used the same full stack mesa cabs the rest of the bands did that night. I was not impressed at all by the tone, bass or guitar. As nwright was saying... weak lows, harsh high end... a really unbalanced sound. The left guitarist had better tone than right guitar and bassist. He didn't have any amp on the stack so I'm not sure what he was using? For the record, if it was the divinity his did sound better.

I enjoyed If Hope Dies the most and I do think they are a talented band, but I really hated the tones they were getting. I have never played through one personally! Hearing them vs. other heads through the same cabs equalled disappointment for me the other night :( I would still like to try one on my own terms though (just not my own money :D )

• Members

Originally posted by ghastlyone

I
totally
agree everything nwright has said, and this was what I experienced two nights ago at their show in Iowa City. I went to this show because I like If Hope Dies and I really wanted to hear the Divinity in person because I was considering buying one.

Demiricous played first. Guy on the left had a 5150 and guy on right had a Mesa F-100. Their tone was great! If Hope Dies played next and they used the same full stack mesa cabs the rest of the bands did that night. I was not impressed at all by the tone, bass or guitar. As nwright was saying... weak lows, harsh high end... a really unbalanced sound. The left guitarist had better tone than right guitar and bassist. He didn't have any amp on the stack so I'm not sure what he was using? For the record, if it was the divinity his did sound better.

I enjoyed If Hope Dies the most and I do think they are a talented band, but I really hated the tones they were getting. I have never played through one personally! Hearing them vs. other heads through the same cabs equalled disappointment for me the other night
:(
I would still like to try one on my own terms though (just not my own money
:D
)

Maybe Ben from Demiricous was using an F-100, I thought it was a Mark IV, but I didn't get close during their set, as I'd seen them so many times since they're local and I was hanging with friends. But, they easily had the best tone of the night. If that was an F-100, it sounded great to me. I've only seen Ben play a VHT 50CL, never a Mesa...The Mesa killed his VHT tone. I really like both tones, just the Mesa was thicker and sweeter. I didn't think an F-100 could do metal like that.

If Still Remains run mids that low, for a 5150, it still cuts as they are so mid heavy as is. I run my mids on 2-3 and it' crazy mid city it seems.

But, anyway, at that show, the Madison was nothing but a disappointment...

Archived