Best Keyboard Mixer?

The Pro

• Members

But, but, but I just want a humble little mixer for my 2-3 keyboards, with XLR outputs for the FOH and a couple of 1/4" outs for my stage amp. Something small and cute.

NOT SOME FRICKIN' 20 CHANNEL MEGABUCK GORILLA MIXER !!! :eek:

But thanks for playing... :)

• Members

But, but, but I just want a humble little mixer for my 2-3 keyboards, with XLR outputs for the FOH and a couple of 1/4" outs for my stage amp. Something small and cute.

NOT SOME FRICKIN' 20 CHANNEL MEGABUCK GORILLA MIXER !!!
:eek:
But thanks for playing...
:)

You wanted the best... :lol:

In the studio I like my Ashly. It's a noticeable upgrade from the budget stuff. Ashly also makes a 6 stereo mic mixer. You can use the (post-fader) Aux as a "second out", and you can use something like the Radial JD6 as DI boxes for your keys where 1/4" adapters are provided. (This and a large snake would be great for distance submixing.)

This is better quality, even though this is far from the best. For instance, a couple of API 3124MB+s would be nicely small and cute (2U), but would set you back $6000. :lol:

But. IMHO even an Ashly on stage is overkill. Unless you are playing venues regularly where the sound reinforcement is just awesome, get the *best* cheap budget mixer you can (plenty of suggestions have been provided). I personally play a lot of bars where the sound setup is subpar. I'm not going to be bringing in $10000 of audiophile mixer just to submix keys when it's going to be running into a 20 year old Peavey PA. :lol: Back when Allen and Heath was considered a notch above Mackie, I considered that brand, but ended up thinking it really wasn't worth it for my live setup. So I've stuck with Mackies so far, although some of the suggestions in this thread intrigue me in case the Mackie dies.

• Members

NOT SOME FRICKIN' 20 CHANNEL MEGABUCK GORILLA MIXER !!!
:eek:

But thanks for playing...
:)

Roland M-120

Also, my experience has been, if I think I need 6 inputs, I'll need 12 eventually. The M-120 can do up to 6 stereo pairs. Which, ironically, is not enough for me now. However, it does have XLR out, 1/4 monitor out, and dual FX send/return.

You can usually scoop one up for a hunnert bux.

• Members

Alesis products are built to fail. Not deliberately, but as the inevitable consequence of their relentless drive for the bottom of the market. This I have learned from watching them for over 20 years.

Exceptions that prove the rule: original ADAT and Andromeda

• Members

I looked hard at the Alesis MultiMix 8 but, for the reasons mentioned above, ended up going 2x Rane SM26B + patchbay + AudioPile FDB-404 4 channel passive DI (only one Rane if you only need mono).

I bring the Rane inputs and outputs to a 1/4 patchbay.

I can patch up any configuration I need: mono 1/4 and XLR out, stereo 1/4 and XLR out. (The FDB gives you the option of having active 1/4 and XLR.)

I paid $50 for my last used Rane on CL. The DI is about $75 and the patch bay new is about $40. If your lucky you could probably put together a SKB box plus a mono setup for about $225.

I have 3 SM26B Ranes - never a problem in 3 years x 2-4 gigs a week - built like tanks.

• Members

The Alesis Multimix 6 FX and Yamaha MG82cx both fail in one key area: no balanced outputs much less XLR balanced outs. You have to bump up to the Yamaha MG124 to get balanced XLR outputs which is a much larger unit and higher price, especially if you opt for built-in effects via the MG124cx.

The Yamaha MG8cx shows +4dBu by it's outs - isn't that Balanced? Just 'cause they're 1/4" doesn't necessarily mean they're not Balanced... :thu: You'd just need cables w/TRS 1/4 male on one end, XLR on the other if you were running to the FOH mixer - you can even connect standard mic. cable as an "extension"... :p

Both my Mackie's - MS1202 & DF6 - have 1/4 outs that are Balanced (the DFX 6 also has XLR outs, which are obviously balanced).

• Members

Thank you GM... you made a valid point I had overlooked. In my hast to dismiss the Yamaha MG8/2cx for not having XLR outputs, I failed to notice the +4db markings on the main stereo outputs. And I had to dig through Yamaha's specs to confirm they are TRS connections. After that everything fell into place - the weight, the size, the mic stand option, the price, the compressors, the FX and more. The external power supply is the only drawback, but that may help with noise reduction.

The Yamaha MG8/2cx has the added advantage of being five years old so it's been thoroughly tested and reviewed. I'm going to do some more homework but I think the Yamaha MG8/2cx might be what I'll get.

I appreciate all the comments from everyone - they really helped.

• Members

those yamaha mixers seem pretty reliable, you should be fine with that.

if you want to spend a bit more coin for a bit better sounding mixer (really only a concern if you're going to be using the mic pre a good bit and EQing) you could check out the soundcraft mpm series- i think someone above mentioned them, they're pretty decent. we use them at work for club gigs (live sound production company). don't know about them being threaded for a mic stand though!

sounds like you've got your ducks in a row though, good luck to ya

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Thank you GM... you made a valid point I had overlooked. In my hast to dismiss the Yamaha MG8/2cx for not having XLR outputs, I failed to notice the +4db markings on the main stereo outputs. And I had to dig through Yamaha's specs to confirm they are TRS connections. After that everything fell into place - the weight, the size, the mic stand option, the price, the compressors, the FX and more. The external power supply is the only drawback, but that may help with noise reduction.

The Yamaha MG8/2cx has the added advantage of being five years old so it's been thoroughly tested and reviewed. I'm going to do some more homework but I think the Yamaha MG8/2cx might be what I'll get.

I appreciate all the comments from everyone - they really helped.

Pro - I forget, did you wind up buying the Yamaha MG8/2cx or the Mackie ProFX8? I'm considering either for myself - recently bought a Soundcraft MFXi8, which is great but just a little too big for small gig situations - solo, duo, even trio... so I'm interested to know which unit you finally picked of these two mixers. :thu:

• Members

And a big +1 on the older Mackie's.

I have a 16 year old 1202 that's literally been dropped down flights of stairs at gigs, taken a lightning strike on a broadcast remote (golf course) and STILL works great. You can't kill these boards.

Also like the Roland M-120's...

Whole different animal, but light and small with good specs.

Dirt cheap now, too

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I bought a Mackie 1202 VLZ new when they came out, and have used it continuously since. No problems of any kind whatsoever. Must be over 15 years now. Made in the USA.

I also had for a while an older Mackie 1604 (non-VLZ) which I used as a PA mixer for an R&B band. It worked fine for that, but I finally got a chance to compare it's sound to the 1202VLZ, and the 1604 sounded terrible; poor/inaccurate frequency response & low headroom; also possible phase issues (see inaccurate freq. response).

My 1202VLZ was my keys mixer for band work for many years; now it sub-mixes some of my synths and feeds my Yamaha AW4416.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Only consider Mackie mixers that were made before the Chinese bought them out.

The Yamaha's are decent, but if I was in the market, it would be nothing but Allen & Heath.

I don't think the geographical location of where a product is manufactured makes a difference. The design is still American. "Made in" isn't "Designed by".

• Members

Bumping an older thread, but I have a relevant question. I've got one of the sub-100 dollar berhinger mixers that I use for line mixing my keyboards. Think a stereo D.I. would be a good thing to add in after the mixer?

Isn't a DI box used to render un unbalanced audio signal balanced? I thought those boxes are used when very long audio cables are used so that noise isn't introduced [or at least kept very minimal] into the signal path.

• Members

I don't think the geographical location of where a product is manufactured makes a difference. The design is still American. "Made in" isn't "Designed by".

Designed by doesn't account for "build with good quality components" (Apple, built in China) vs. "build with out of tolerance junk cheapo components" (Behringer, made in China) either.

Archived