Best Keyboard Mixer?

The Pro

• Members

I'm currently considering a Mackie ProFX8 mixer for my keyboards but it's backordered until December so I got time to comparison shop. The ProFX8 looks great, has plenty of cool features, solid build reputation and it's only $229 street. This mixer purchase is almost exclusively for keyboards.

572897.jpg

What I feel I must have in a keyboard mixer is 4+ stereo inputs, 2+ stereo outputs, and at least one pair of stereo outputs must be low impedence (preferably XLR) which eliminates a lot of the $99 cheapo mixers. Active EQ would be nice so a line mixer probably isn't what I want. Otherwise I'm pretty much open.

Price isn't as important as quality (this is for gigging) but I don't see spending over $500 if I can get a Mackie for under $300. Suggestions ?

• Members

If I were to go for a Mackie, I'd look for a used older one, made in the US. I haven't been impressed by their newer stuff.

I've seen people talk a lot about the newer affordable Allen & Heath mixers as a better alternative to the Mackies.

The Yamahas would be a good alternative as well, I would think... In fact I'm taking one for my brother to Brazil when I go visit the family this Christmas...

• Members

I've heard some rumors about manufacturuing problems with newer Mackie gear, particularly SRM-450 powered speakers. The ProFX8 mixer was announced a year ago and Sweetwater has this currently on their website:

"Mackie is in the process of moving ProFX8 mixer production to factories with greater production capacity. Unfortunately, this move will delay the delivery of new ProFX8 mixer shipments"

Hmmm... sounds fishy. Methinks you may be right. Will look at A&H and Yamahas.

• Members

And older Mackies. They're not hard to find. You could probably find a CR1604 for 200 dollars. Just make sure it doesn't say VLZ on the name... that's when things went sour.

There's also the older Micro Series, you might be able to win one on Ebay for a hundred bucks tops.

We have an Onyx Mackie at our church. It works ok for live stuff, but I'm not impressed by the sound at all, especially considering the price. So I'd avoid those too. I actually recommended it based on the love I have for my 8-bus Mackie (from 1996), but I don't think it sounds as good. It's been bullet-proof though, and has everything the church needed.

I'd try and find out a bit more about the Yamahas though, I did my research and the feedback I've seen on them has been very very good for the price (MG-series). But I haven't actually had hands-on experience with one. I will in December...

• Members

for your needs, roland even has a couple of older models that pop up on the 'bay that are pretty ideal for keys mixing with extra I/O.

if you're going to buy a mackie, you might as well buy a behringer. they both use the same high-use components (i.e. jacks, pots) and you have a 90 percent chance of getting one that works out of the box.

the Allen and Heath Zed series is nice, as is the mix wizard, but that's a lot of mixer for your needs in both $$ and footprint. is this going in a vertical rack? skb pop up rack? sitting on a surface?

• Members

Is this going in a vertical rack? skb pop up rack? sitting on a surface?

I have not decided... probably not either a pop-up rack or rack mount but I haven't figured out how I'll use it yet. I was considering using a music stand attachment for one of my keyboard stands as a mixer stand. Since it's for keyboards I'd like it to be easy to reach. I like the way the smaller Yamaha MG's can attach to a mic stand but again I'm running into the no-lo-z-outputs on many models I look at including the Yamaha MG's.

Darn it, that Mackie ProFX8 is so sweet looking... haven't found anything else with as much to offer in one relatively small package. BTW CR: I have one of those old VLZ mixers and it's outdated and missing the lo-z outputs I want, plus I've never been fond of it. I do want reliability. The search continues...

• Members

I meant I recommend Mackies older than VLZ
:lol:

I think you might have misread me... I told you to avoid VLZs.

No, I got you... just mentioning that I still have an old Mackie 12-channel VLZ from around 1995. Never gave me any problems but it never really had the features I need either, esp. lo-z outputs. I've been using those big bulky 1/4"-to-XLR adapters with it.

Gotta be something decent that's a current model out there.

• Members

... just mentioning that I still have an old Mackie 12-channel VLZ from around 1995. Never gave me any problems but it never really had the features I need either, esp. lo-z outputs. I've been using those big bulky 1/4"-to-XLR adapters with it.

I'm using an old 1202 Mackie in my practice room, and it's got balanced lo-z outputs, they're just TRS instead of XLR. You don't need a bulky adapter, just a simple TRS to XLR cable. The 1202's a workhorse. Not the best in the world, but it's held up nicely over the years.

• Members

I bought a Mackie mixer ... it came with slider that felt like it was filled with sand to control what was essentially a dead channel ... straight from the factory. Factory sealed box, no external damage. It told me everything I needed to know about their quality control.

Bought a Yamaha mixer (MG12/4FX) for my key rig ... 12 channels, XLR outputs, onboard effects (new series MG12/4C# series adds compression on several channels). The four buss design makes it easy to use as a submixer and feed the main FOH PA.

Quality difference is huge. Can be had for $289. Don't want effects - $239. It might have a more channels than you spec'ed - however that ain't all bad. There's always something that needs an extra channel...

I would buy another in a heartbeat if the need arose.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG124cx/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG124c/

• Members

I think you might have misread me... I told you to avoid VLZs:

What's wrong with the VLZs? :confused: As workhorse live submixers I've never had a problem with them. I had a 1402-VLZ last for ten years before a channel finally blew out.

For better quality in the studio I use Ashly LX-308Bs (with the Fireface handling XLR mic input duty).

• Members

The VLZ preamps are just not nearly as good as the original Mackie preamps, of course that is just my own opinion... but I know people who agree.

Older Mackies (VLZs too) were indeed more reliable than the current stuff they are making... a mixer from 10 years ago would definitely be reasonably reliable.

• Members

I'm currently considering a Mackie ProFX8 mixer for my keyboards but it's backordered until December so I got time to comparison shop. The ProFX8 looks great, has plenty of cool features, solid build reputation and it's only $229 street. This mixer purchase is almost exclusively for keyboards.

572897.jpg

What I feel I must have in a keyboard mixer is 4+ stereo inputs, 2+ stereo outputs, and at least one pair of stereo outputs must be low impedence (preferably XLR) which eliminates a lot of the $99 cheapo mixers. Active EQ would be nice so a line mixer probably isn't what I want. Otherwise I'm pretty much open.

Price isn't as important as quality (this is for gigging - no Behringers please) but I don't see spending over $500 if I can get a Mackie for under $300. Suggestions ?

Ha! - I too have a Mackie MS1202 original series, pre-VLZ or VLZ Pro... from 1995 - still works fine.

This Mackie ProFX8 looks like it would do the job but what about the lack of stereo outs, other than the Main Out jacks... ie, if on certain gigs you wanted to route a stereo signal from this mixer to both the FOH PA and a stereo signal to your Motion Sound KP200S you couldn't do it, could you?

• Members

The VLZ preamps are just not nearly as good as the original Mackie preamps, of course that is just my own opinion... but I know people who agree.

Ah... okay. I use the live Mackie strictly for line level mixing...

Older Mackies (VLZs too) were indeed more reliable than the current stuff they are making... a mixer from 10 years ago would definitely be reasonably reliable.

Since I got an 802-VLZ3 to replace it (though I still have that 1402 for backup -- one channel still works after all :) ), we'll see how the reliability ends up being. So far it's been fine. I kind of think that a lot of these sub-$300 mixers are very similar these days, made with cheap shit in China etc....

• Members

Ha! - I too have a Mackie MS1202 original series, pre-VLZ or VLZ Pro... from 1995 - still works fine.

This Mackie ProFX8 looks like it would do the job but what about the lack of stereo outs, other than the Main Out jacks... ie, if on certain gigs you wanted to route a stereo signal from this mixer to both the FOH PA and a stereo signal to your Motion Sound KP200S you couldn't do it, could you?

It may not be apparent from the picture but there is a pair of XLR stereo outputs on the top panel next to the power plug, stereo bal/unbalanced 1/4" outputs on the front panel, and a mono monitor 1/4" output on the front also. I can definitely send stereo signal to FOH and my KP-200s at the same time and have a monitor out leftover. This is why I can't use a mixer that only has one stereo set of outputs (like most $99 mixers).

I appreciate all the suggestions here but many mixers mentioned are too big or too expensive a solution for what should be a relatively simple job: mixing 2-4 keyboards and the occasional iPod or whatever, maybe a vocal mic now and then. And so far, despite the reservations over current Mackie products, the ProFX8 has the best combination of features-for-price in a relatively manageable footprint I've seen yet. I did read a review on Amazon.com about the early models having hum problems when using the USB for recording but rave reviews for the quality of the mixer and effects otherwise. Maybe Mackie will solve this issue with the newer batch.

I will continue to research this but so far the Mackie ProFX8 may be the one worth waiting for. I do have my working 12-channel old Mackie for now.

• Members

Not exactly feature-laden mixers, but I switch off between the Mackie U420 and the MOTU Ultralite. Both acquired to use as Firewire hubs for my Mac rig, but I use them more often as submixers for 2-3 keyboards. I like them because they are small and can perch right on my keyboard. They may not be the world's greatest, but they are quiet, simple and reliable.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

It may not be apparent from the picture but there is a pair of XLR stereo outputs on the top panel next to the power plug, stereo bal/unbalanced 1/4" outputs on the front panel, and a mono monitor 1/4" output on the front also. I can definitely send stereo signal to FOH and my KP-200s at the same time and have a monitor out leftover. This is why I can't use a mixer that only has one stereo set of outputs (like most $99 mixers).

I appreciate all the suggestions here but many mixers mentioned are too big or too expensive a solution for what should be a relatively simple job: mixing 2-4 keyboards and the occasional iPod or whatever, maybe a vocal mic now and then. And so far, despite the reservations over current Mackie products, the ProFX8 has the best combination of features-for-price in a relatively manageable footprint I've seen yet. I did read a review on Amazon.com about the early models having hum problems when using the USB for recording but rave reviews for the quality of the mixer and effects otherwise. Maybe Mackie will solve this issue with the newer batch.

I will continue to research this but so far the Mackie ProFX8 may be the one worth waiting for. I do have my working 12-channel old Mackie for now.

Sounds about right & I dig the fact that there's 2 sets of Main Outs & a REAL power supply built-in, w/standard IEC cord, not stupid wall-wart or lump-in-the-line. But maybe take a listen to one in a store, thru headphones if possible, to see if it's quiet or noisy. I also have a Mackie DFX6, which has decent built-in FX but is actually kinda noisy... I just plug stuff into it to practice playing singing though, running the L/R outs to my JBL EON15 G2's, a nice little home-rehearsal rig. :thu::cool:

Although this Alesis Multimix 6 FX has a smaller footprint than the Mackie and has 2 stereo outs (Main, Ctrl. Rm.) - as does this Yamaha MG82cx - though both have the stoopid external pwr. supplies... :mad:

• Members

Sounds about right & I dig the fact that there's 2 sets of Main Outs & a REAL power supply built-in, w/standard IEC cord, not stupid wall-wart or lump-in-the-line. But maybe take a listen to one in a store, thru headphones if possible, to see if it's quiet or noisy. I also have a Mackie DFX6, which has decent built-in FX but is actually kinda noisy... I just plug stuff into it to practice playing singing though, running the L/R outs to my JBL EON15 G2's, a nice little home-rehearsal rig.
:thu::cool:

Although this
Alesis Multimix 6 FX
has a smaller footprint than the Mackie and has 2 stereo outs (Main, Ctrl. Rm.) - as does this
Yamaha MG82cx
- though both have the stoopid external pwr. supplies...
:mad:

Yep, when the Mackie ProFX8 is actually available in stores again I am anxious to hear it. I like the internal power supply it has but it seems a bit on the larger-footprint side of the scale. Otherwise it's cool redeeming feature is the 7-band graphic EQ that no other unpowered small mixer has.

The Alesis Multimix 6 FX and Yamaha MG82cx both fail in one key area: no balanced outputs much less XLR balanced outs. You have to bump up to the Yamaha MG124 to get balanced XLR outputs which is a much larger unit and higher price, especially if you opt for built-in effects via the MG124cx.

And I hate to mention it but one mixer I keep looking at is the Behringer Xenyx 1204FX. It has all the features I want in a keyboard/general use mixer, XLR outputs, USB, internal power, small footprint, and it's well under $200. I know I know... don't buy Behringer, but I wish somebody else could put this kind of mixer package together. The design is spot-on. :facepalm:

• Members

I've heard some rumors about manufacturing problems with newer Mackie gear, particularly SRM-450 powered speakers. The ProFX8 mixer was announced a year ago and Sweetwater has this currently on their website:
"Mackie is in the process of moving ProFX8 mixer production to factories with greater production capacity. Unfortunately, this move will delay the delivery of new ProFX8 mixer shipments"
Hmmm... sounds fishy.

The same message is applied to Mackie's MCU Pro control surface, which I've been shopping for. I'd prefer to view this message as code for "we've been having manufacturing problems so we're changing factories."

• Members

The title of the thread is BEST Keyboard Mixer?

That lets out Behringer and Alesis due to build quality and reliability, before even considering sound quality.

The original poster might also consider a line mixer - shorter on features but higher quality build and sound. I use the Ashly LX-308, others to consider are the Rane SM82, and the oldie but goodie Roland M-120.

• Members

Yes, this thread is BEST keyboard mixer, price no object, because I was hoping someone would know of some obscure but perfect little mixer for keyboards and for my particular application. So far, no luck. So now I'm looking at "best mixer for the job", and design-wise, the Behringer 1204FX wins. I'm fully aware of Behringer quality-control issues (Mackie has some too) but nothing else compares for features/footprint so I'm including it in my search. Someone ought to copy Behringer (for a change) and make something like the 1204FX. For that matter, there is a market for a dedicated small-footprint keyboard mixer of any kind.

I'll say this about Behringer mixers: I have one as a control room mixer in my studio which has never had a problem. My local dealer gives me 45-days to return any item and for the money I can afford an extended warranty. So it may be interesting to buy a Behringer 1204fx and beat the hell out of it for a month - if it fails or I don't like it then I can exchange it for something better.

And finally - I work at an audio repair shop. In our repair room right now are Behringer, Mackie, Yamaha, Peavey and Allen & Heath mixers - all in need of repair. Noone is indestructable.

BTW: I looked at line mixers - lots of money and none of the features I need.

For a couple hundred bucks new, I'd get
rather than a Behringer. It has the balanced outputs and even 4 channels with compression which is useful for playing live. Hopefully it's not too big... and they have a version with effects as well...

That Yamaha mixer is the closest thing Yamaha makes to what I need... but it's really large (13.6" x17.18" x3.39"). It's still well in contention though, and compression is a rare feature indeed. I will look closer at one later today.

Archived