What does Power Amp In mean?

gibsgstd1999

• Members

So, I have a Power Amp In on the back of my Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube...what does that mean? Can I use the extension out from my Classic 30, and use it to power the speaker on the bandit?

Can someone please explain the concept of a power amp in, and what I can use it for?

Also, is there any possible way to use the Bandit 112 as a speaker cab for my Classic 30 so that I am essentially using a 2x12 set up?

• Members

Pwr amp in is an input that bypasses all the preamp tone control sections. You would use a line out or fx send from the amp your guitar is plugged into and plug into the pwr amp in of the other amp. Now, your tone controls on the 1st amp work for both.

This works well if you have a reverb/delay unit that you can put in between the amps.

• Members

Originally posted by billybogner

Pwr amp in is an input that bypasses all the preamp tone control sections. You would use a line out or fx send from the amp your guitar is plugged into and plug into the pwr amp in of the other amp. Now, your tone controls on the 1st amp work for both.

This works well if you have a reverb/delay unit that you can put in between the amps.

So, can I use the extension cab out on my Classic 30, into the PWR amp in on my Bandit, and then the Classic will control both amps. Or, does the extension output not work this way? Do ohms mean anything in this situation?

• Members

Originally posted by gibsgstd1999

So, can I use the extension cab out on my Classic 30, into the PWR amp in on my Bandit, and then the Classic will control both amps. Or, does the extension output not work this way? Do ohms mean anything in this situation?

NO. Line level signals only.!!!!

• Members

EDIT: DON"T LISTEN TO ME I AM ON GLUE GLUE GLUE GLUE GLUEG GLUE SORRY FOLKS DON"T KNOW WHAT I WAS THINKING

Yes you can run it just like that. Although I think the Bandit still has to be on for some reason (it still doesn't control anything but it must be powered up). Regarding ohmage, you must follow the minimum requirements as set by your Classic 30. Cheers Lucius

• Members

Originally posted by Lucius

Yes you can run it just like that. Although I think the Bandit still has to be on for some reason (it still doesn't control anything but it must be powered up). Regarding ohmage, you must follow the minimum requirements as set by your Classic 30. Cheers Lucius

Huh? You're telling him to plug a speaker-level signal (extention cab out) into an input that is expecting a line-level signal (power amp in). He will fry his amp if he does this.

• Members

Originally posted by Lucius

Again NO. You can't plug a speaker level signal into a power amp in. You'll likely cook both amps that way.

• Members

Originally posted by MCon

Huh? You're telling him to plug a speaker-level signal (extention cab out) into an input that is expecting a line-level signal (power amp in). He will fry his amp if he does this.

Thankyou. So the ohm rating doesn't matter, huh?

Please exuse my ignorance. I am new to this kind of stuff.

Maybe I should just buy a good extension cab for the classic 30 and leave the bandit alone.

I just would rather put that speaker inside the Bandit to good use if possible...

• Members

Originally posted by billybogner

If I use the FX send on the Classic 30 into the PWR Amp In on the Bandit, will this work ok? I just want better bass response out of the Classic and more volume overall.

• Members

Thankyou. So the ohm rating doesn't matter, huh?

Please exuse my ignorance. I am new to this kind of stuff.

Maybe I should just buy a good extension cab for the classic 30 and leave the bandit alone.

I just would rather put that speaker inside the Bandit to good use if possible...

It has nothing to do with ohm ratings. It has to do with running a really hot signal from your extension cab output into circuitry that was not designed to handle levels that high.

You could slave one amp off of another. What you would need to do is get an attenuator which you put between the speaker output and the speaker. If you get an attenuator that also has a line-out on it you can then safely plug that line out into the Power Amp In on your slaved amp.

• Members

If I use the FX send on the Classic 30 into the PWR Amp In on the Bandit, will this work ok? I just want better bass response out of the Classic and more volume overall.

But your Classic 30 will then no longer make any sound. The effects loop is a break in the signal path so if you do it that way the signal will not get back to the Classic 30's power section.

• Members

But your Classic 30 will then no longer make any sound. The effects loop is a break in the signal path so if you do it that way the signal will not get back to the Classic 30's power section.

Oh, so I'm screwed then, basically right? I want the sound of the Classic 30 coming out of both the Classic 30's internal speaker, and the speaker from the Bandit...and there's no line out on the classic...so it's basically impossible then?

Or can I use the FX in and outs on the bandit to do this?

I just don't want to have to buy an extension cab for the c30 if I don't have to, y'know?

• Members

It has nothing to do with ohm ratings. It has to do with running a really hot signal from your extension cab output into circuitry that was not designed to handle levels that high.

You could slave one amp off of another. What you would need to do is get an attenuator which you put between the speaker output and the speaker. If you get an attenuator that also has a line-out on it you can then safely plug that line out into the Power Amp In on your slaved amp.

I see. Good idea, but how much would that cost me? Am I just better off forgetting it and buying a real extension cab instead? Either way, I am kinda short on money right now. Thanks.

• Members

I can't imagine what kind of situaiton you're in where you don't think the Classic 30 is loud enough. The speaker in the bandit is 8 ohms, and I believe the Classic 30 requires 16. Adding another speaker isn't going to give you more volume anyway. I don't see anything to be gained by trying to connect the two.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I can't imagine what kind of situaiton you're in where you don't think the Classic 30 is loud enough. The speaker in the bandit is 8 ohms, and I believe the Classic 30 requires 16. Adding another speaker isn't going to give you more volume anyway. I don't see anything to be gained by trying to connect the two.

Oh. I just figured the bass frequencies might be better distributed between the two speakers. The classic 30's bass seems to lose some of its definition at higher volumes, especially coming out of just one speaker.

• Members

I see. Good idea, but how much would that cost me? Am I just better off forgetting it and buying a real extension cab instead? Either way, I am kinda short on money right now. Thanks.

That depends. You can get a 50W Weber Mini-Mass for $100. That's cheaper then most extension cabs.

• Members

That depends. You can get a 50W Weber Mini-Mass for $100. That's cheaper then most extension cabs.

So, basically the C30's ext out would plug into the Mini-Mass, and the Mini Mass has a line out, which would plug into the PWR amp in on the Bandit?

Also, is the Mini Mass good for getting overdriven tube sounds at low volumes, or for getting the famed "brown" sound?

• Members

You could split the signal using a stereo effects pedal (like a stereo chorus or delay) or some other signal splitter.

Then run one back into the effects return on the classic 30 and the other to the power amp in of the second amp.

Now both amps are working plus you get cool stereo effects.

• Members

Originally posted by Reeko2

You could split the signal using a stereo effects pedal (like a stereo chorus or delay) or some other signal splitter.

Then run one back into the effects return on the classic 30 and the other to the power amp in of the second amp.

Very true. That would likely be the least-costly option. Didn't think about that... I guess it really *is* Monday since the brain isn't working. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Reeko2

BUt is it the sound of the Classic 30 going into the PWR amp in, or the sound of the stereo FX pedal? I want the tone of the C30 coming out of the Bandit's speaker.

• Members

So, basically the C30's ext out would plug into the Mini-Mass, and the Mini Mass has a line out, which would plug into the PWR amp in on the Bandit?

Not exactly. You'll want to put it *between* the Main cab out and the speaker. Leave the Ext Cab Out alone. So you have the Main Speaker Out into the Mini Mass. Then the Speaker Out of the Mini Mass into the C30's speaker and the Line Out of the Mini Mass into the Power Amp In of the Bandit.

Also, is the Mini Mass good for getting overdriven tube sounds at low volumes, or for getting the famed "brown" sound?

I don't know if you'll get the 'brown' sound out of it. What you'll get is the sound of a cranked C30 at lower levels. Or you could turn the attenuation off completely and just use it for the line-in into the Bandit and a pass-through for the C30.

However, Reeko's suggestion above is better and much cheaper. Take the Preamp Out of the C30 into a stereo effects pedal. Run one of the outputs in the Power Amp In of the C30 and the other into the Power Amp In of the Bandit.

• Members

BUt is it the sound of the Classic 30 going into the PWR amp in, or the sound of the stereo FX pedal? I want the tone of the C30 coming out of the Bandit's speaker.

You just turn the FX pedal off. It'll still route the signal. You could also get a line-splitter that would accomplish the same thing.

• Members

Are you sure about this? With my Peavey's, when I plug something in the fx send the amp keeps working normally. The breakercontact is in the fx-return.....

Giga.

Archived