JJ ECC83S high gain rated vs non high gain rated? Confused....

• Members

I've had (and still have some) and tried both of the Highgain graded JJs and the Non-highgain grades JJ ECC83s.

To my ears.. the non-highgain graded ones sounded dull, lifeless and lacked the gain big time.

Later when I tried the Highgain grades ones, to my ears, they sounded much better then the Non-highgain graded ones. The Highgain graded JJs sounded brighter (not harsh), tighter and had alot more gain then the non-graded ones.

Again.. thats to my ears. I guess it all depends on the amp you use them in.

I've tried them in an ADA MP-1, Marshall heads, Mesa amps, peavey amps and Rivera head.

I get mine from Doug @ www.dougstubes.com

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by RoCk4souls

got mine from eurotubes.

edit: from that last description I'm now wondering if I got shipped the non high gain tubes by mistake.
:(

I know Bob at Eurotubes disagrees but JJ preamp tubes do not sound great in everything. In the right amp they are great but in others (like my JSX imho) they sound dull.

• Members

I know Bob at Eurotubes disagrees but JJ preamp tubes do not sound great in everything. In the right amp they are great but in others (like my JSX imho) they sound dull.

Yeah I agree. I would describe my tone as kind of dull also. That's what got me wondering if I got the wrong tubes my mistake. Over all I still like my tone but I wouldn't mind a little extra shimmer or brightness on the top end. I can't really seem to get it there with the treble and prescence controls.

What are you running now in the JSX?

• Members

Tubes today are not made to tight specs. They can be, but then they would probably be too expensive.

Excuse my terminology, I am blanking right now.

Anyway, a pre-amp tube is really two... amplifiers in one.

A perfect tube will be 100/100. Basically 100% efficient on both sides and perfectly balanced.

Well due to tolerences in manufacturing, a tube can range from 90-120 or so. So you might have tube that is: 95/101 or 99/97.

Tube testers will tell you this. But that doesn't mean you need a tester to go through all your tubes. Leave that to reputable retailers like eurotubes, dougstubes, etc.

Anyway so like "balanced" Phase Inverters will be the same on both sides, ie. 95/95 or 98/98 or 112/112 or whatever.

"Regular" JJ's are probably like 105 and below. High gain are probably above that. So you get "more gain"

This will make a bit of difference, good or bad depending on the amp. The crazy thing is that with the tolerances being so wide, even using tubes of the same manufacturer and model will make differences.

Amp has too much gain? Try a lower gain tube.

Amp has too little? Try a higher gain tube.

Even of the same make and model.

JJ's have been the ones most known to actually make a significant difference between low and high gain. At least from what I have seen and read.

There are probably just as drastic differences between Sovtek's, EH's, Chinese, SED's, etc. But maybe people have noticed as much.

But I know most retailers that are popular here know tubes and the gains of the different ones and possible differences. Go through someone recommended here and you will have good results.

dougstubes.com is my favorite. Lord Valve is cool too. Eurotubes.com is cool if you are after JJ only. thetubestore.com I have had good luck with as well.

• Members

Yeah I agree. I would describe my tone as kind of dull also. That's what got me wondering if I got the wrong tubes my mistake. Over all I still like my tone but I wouldn't mind a little extra shimmer or brightness on the top end. I can't really seem to get it there with the treble and prescence controls.

What are you running now in the JSX?

I'm actually running the stock EH 12ax7's and JJ 6l6gc's. Those tubes have a good amount of highs and really sound good in this amp. When I had a XXX I loved the JJ ecc83s's so go figure.

• Members

hmmm....I've still got some of the stock EH's from my amp. I might throw them back in there and see what happens.
:thu:

try and mix and match maybe? I hated the EH tubes in the XXX and also my friends 5150II but in the JSX they are gold.