Problems with U-220 + Audiophile USB

felineki

• Members

Hello. I recently picked up a Roland U-220 and an Audiophile USB interface, both used, off of eBay. At first I had some problems with the U-220 itself (data was scrambled, and the supposed factory reset command merely gave me a "card not ready" error), as well as problems getting the drivers for the Audiophile USB installed, but those seem to be out of the way.

I have the Audiophile USB hooked to a USB port on my PC. Its MIDI Out is connected to the U-220's MIDI in, and the U-220's 2 1/4" output jacks are connected to the 1/4" input jacks of the Audiophile USB. Now, when I send MIDI data from my sequencer, I can hear sound very clearly through my headphones when they are plugged into the U-220's headphone jack. However, when I attempt to record the incoming audio on the PC, I get an incredibly low, barely audible signal. When I plug the headphones into the Audiophile USB's headphone jack, I can't hear a thing.

The U-220's volume is set to the maximum, and the Audiophile USB's line in recording level is set to the maximum. Turning either of these down fades out the tiny bit of signal I'm able to receive.

Any idea what the problem might be? Might the Audiophile USB's inputs simply be broken (is is used, after all)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Members

Seems to be the same no matter which USB port I use. However, now that you mention drivers, I took the time to go back and look, and it turns out I installed the XP drivers by mistake (I'm using Vista). Don't know how I managed to do that. :facepalm: I'll try installing the Vista drivers and see what happens.

EDIT: Installed the Vista drivers, no change. Tried using a different USB cable, still no change.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Same problem.  When trying to do the "factory data load" I get the "card not ready", there seems to be no way around that.  You can't reload the factory default file unless you do that first. I tried everything.  I don't know if putting a PCM card in one of the slots would fix it, but I don't have one and it's not worth buying one just to find out, but I can't imagine why it would do that ... there is no reason for it.  The factory data load just puts things back into default state and erases patches (which is why you need to follow up with a sys ex load).  So no card should be needed, and none of the instructions on the myriad of websites with instructions for doing this say it is needed.  Sadly this synth is going in the trash.   I just keep reminding myself with fruityloops or similar I can get sound fonts with those same sounds, but it's not the same. :( I guess I could buy one off ebay for $150