What amps did Megadeth use on Countdown To Extinction??

Peter Gandalf

• Members

As far as I know they were still using Crate amps on Countdown, might be worth checking out Megadeth.com, they are usually really good about detailing what gear they use.

Also try a search for an old Megadeth interview from a Guitar magazine, I remember reading one from the Youthanasia album which had all the specs for Dave and Marty.

I thought the sound on Countdown was pretty harsh and brittle, and it's also worth bearing in mind that that album was possibly the most produced reord ever made, so getting a similar tone may prove to be tricky.

If you listen to the live stuff from that 91 Tour, like on the Exposure of a Dream video, Dave's live sound was pretty thin.

• Members

ee19e7c0.jpg

Guitars:

Jackson King V w/ Seymour Duncans

Amps:

Rocktron Prophesy Pre-Amp

Marshall EL34 100/100 Dual Monobloc Power Amp

Marshall PB100 Power Break Attenuator

Microphones:

Shure SM-57 speaker cabinet mics

Sennheiser MD421 speaker cabinet mics

Speakers:

Marshall 1960BV 4x12 cabinets

Sound Effects & Equipment

Furman PL Plus Power Conditioner

Rocktron All Access controller

Samson Dual UHF UR-50 Synthesized Diversity Wireless System

Monster Cable

GHS Strings

Jim Dunlop Picks

• Members

Originally posted by Moltisanti

As far as I know they were still using Crate amps on Countdown, might be worth checking out Megadeth.com, they are usually really good about detailing what gear they use.

Also try a search for an old Megadeth interview from a Guitar magazine, I remember reading one from the Youthanasia album which had all the specs for Dave and Marty.

I thought the sound on Countdown was pretty harsh and brittle, and it's also worth bearing in mind that that album was possibly the most produced reord ever made, so getting a similar tone may prove to be tricky.

If you listen to the live stuff from that 91 Tour, like on the Exposure of a Dream video, Dave's live sound was pretty thin.

Dave didn't use Crates...Marty uses them.

• Members

Originally posted by rat13

Dave didn't use Crates...Marty uses them.

I dont think Marty had the BV,s until 95 or 96. I remember Dave having Vht Power amps and Cae and Marshall Preamps.

• Members

Yeah, from what I've read he used the Rocktron Prophecy preamp, with the marshall power amps. Dave did bitch a lot about the Marshalls overheating and breaking down a lot. But then I bet he had those suckers cranked to the max every night.

• Members

Originally posted by DoubleBarrel

Yeah, from what I've read he used the Rocktron Prophecy preamp, with the marshall power amps. Dave did bitch a lot about the Marshalls overheating and breaking down a lot. But then I bet he had those suckers cranked to the max every night.

Correct, he used power brakes on smaller stages, still with the amps cranked

• Members

Originally posted by Knut E Evenmo

I`m not too sure if the Prophesy was even made at that time. Marty joined Megadeth, and had {censored}ty gear, so Dave hooked him up with CAE/VHT-stuff. A while after that, it was JMP-1/EL34-stuff.

The Rocktron came at a later stage.

You may be right. I'm just going off my memory of articles & interviews, and the video from Youthanasia.

Youthanasia was a much better soung than Countdown IMO.

• Members

I thought the countdown to extinction album was bogner tones? I would swear that is what i hear... i can nail that tone with my uber or more recently added xtc 101b:cool: Seriously, am i the only one that thought they used bogners?

• Members

Originally posted by Quagmire

5150's. On that album in the studio they used a lot of different amps to try and get the sound right but alot of Dave's was a 5150 and Marty had that Crate deal.

there is alot of wrong information in this post for sure lol. the 5150 i dont believe was even around at the time of the release of countdown dude...and even if it was, it wasnt used on countdown, i can assure you that.

dave switched to the prophesy/100/100 rig like 5-8 years after countdown was released.

as far as bogners....they did use the bogner fish preamp for awhile, i think on rust in peace, maybe thats why you thought they used bogners :D

• Members

Originally posted by lessarti

I thought the countdown to extinction album was bogner tones? I would swear that is what i hear... i can nail that tone with my uber or more recently added xtc 101b:cool: Seriously, am i the only one that thought they used bogners?

That's what I thought as well, I had never even heard of Bogner until I saw Mustaine mention his gear in an article around that time.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarist17

there is alot of wrong information in this post for sure lol. the 5150 i dont believe was even around at the time of the release of countdown dude...and even if it was, it wasnt used on countdown, i can assure you that.

dave switched to the prophesy/100/100 rig like 5-8 years after countdown was released.

as far as bogners....they did use the bogner fish preamp for awhile, i think on rust in peace, maybe thats why you thought they used bogners
:D

Actually he liked it so much it was in one of the music vids. And i dont think dave used the bogner fish that was just for like one album with chris poland.

Archived