Urgent speaker wiring question (Peavey Classic 30)

gibsgstd1999

• Members

So, I unhooked the internal speaker to hook an external cab up, and now I forget what wire is positive and what wire is negative for the internal speaker. Is blue negative and yellow positive? Is it this way in all amps? I just don't want to risk damaging the amp/speaker. What color wire is normally positive?

Thanks.

• Members
Originally posted by gibsgstd1999

So, I unhooked the internal speaker to hook an external cab up, and now I forget what wire is positive and what wire is negative for the internal speaker. Is blue negative and yellow positive? Is it this way in all amps? I just don't want to risk damaging the amp/speaker. What color wire is normally positive?

Thanks.

No idea with those colors. E-mail a tech or have someone here who has one,take a look.

• Members

Hook up a 9 volt battery to the speaker leads with blue on the -post and yellow on the +. If the speaker cone protrudes, you have the correct scheme. If the cone inverts, then blue is positive.

• Members
Originally posted by twally

Hook up a 9 volt battery to the speaker leads with blue on the -post and yellow on the +. If the speaker cone protrudes, you have the correct scheme. If the cone inverts, then blue is positive.

I believe it is the leads that are a mystery,not the actual driver.

• 14 years later...
  • Members

Simple. Take a voltmeter. Connect one of the speaker wires(A) to a speaker. Connect one lead to the loose wire (B) and the other to the opposite terminal on the speaker. Play a single repeat note on your plugged in guitar. Now do the same with wire B connected and your meter running from (A) to a terminal on the speaker.  Play the note. The one that gives you a higher number is the positive. Doing this puts your meter in the circuit. Having it connect the negative side to the speaker puts it after the speaker in the circuit. The speakers resistance lessens the current you get.

Archived