Convert 6L6 to EL34??

sahlomonic

• Members

What's involved when converting 6L6 tubes to EL34's in an amp? I have an amp on the way that has 4 6L6's, and although I love the tone 6L6's can produce, I still favor EL34's. I remember years ago hearing clips of David Gerlach's 5150 modded with integrated quads (JJ's maybe - 2 6L6 and 2 EL34), and it sounded incredible.

Being a newbie to tube amps, I want to know what's involved in changing tubes anyways since I want to perform maintenance myself. In regards to switching to EL34, what do I need to know?

• Members

Originally posted by sahlomonic

What's involved when converting 6L6 tubes to EL34's in an amp? I have an amp on the way that has 4 6L6's, and although I love the tone 6L6's can produce, I still favor EL34's. I remember years ago hearing clips of David Gerlach's 5150 modded with integrated quads (JJ's maybe - 2 6L6 and 2 EL34), and it sounded incredible.

:D:thu:

Yep, that was a great 5150II amp, and to this day I regret selling it. Those integrated quads rocked. 2xJJ6L6GC + 2xJJEL34 and 12AX7EH all through the preamp.

The process is not too involved, although I wouldn't do it myself because I can't hit myself up if I screw it up.

What amp do you want to modify? Typically it's a $50 job by a qualified amp tech.

• Members

Its a Peavey Rockmaster. Actually its in the mail and I haven't played it yet, but from what I've read, basically a low gain rock amp; I've heard similar to a JCM800, and even "Peavey's answer to the Marshall Plexi". I'm sure it'll be a killer amp, but down the road I'll be changing tubes one way or another, so I want to bone up now before it becomes an emergency.

That was your 5150II amp? To be brutally honest, I have that "Cookie Monsters" clip on my MP3 rotation EVERY DAY. I just can't get over how great that amp sounds!!

• Members

Originally posted by sahlomonic

Its a Peavey Rockmaster. Actually its in the mail and I haven't played it yet, but from what I've read, basically a low gain rock amp; I've heard similar to a JCM800, and even "Peavey's answer to the Marshall Plexi". I'm sure it'll be a killer amp, but down the road I'll be changing tubes one way or another, so I want to bone up now before it becomes an emergency.

That was your 5150II amp? To be brutally honest, I have that "Cookie Monsters" clip on my MP3 rotation EVERY DAY. I just can't get over how great that amp sounds!!

Yep, that was me playing and my 5150II. Those JJs are great power amp tubes. I've got 4xRuby EL34BSTR and 2xJJ 6L6GC power tubes in my Diezel and is kills. You like the tone of that clip "Cookie Monsters" you would not believe the tone I'm getting out of my Herbert.

BTW - I'd love to hear that old clip again. I've since lost all my old stuff due to PC meltdowns and other crap. Luckily I had a slave drive with no OS on it and most of my music was not sacrificed.

Post it up if you get a chance. I'd love a copy of it.

• Members

Maybe consider some thd yellow jackets. They're basically adaptors so you can use el-34s. I'm not up on the price specifics as compared to just getting the amp modded, but if you go the way of the yellow jackets, the amp might be easier to resell, if ever need be.

• Members

Yellow jackets go from 6V6s, 6L6s, EL34s, KT**s, whatever, to EL84s. You don't need a converter to go from 6L6s to EL34s, you need a rebias and maybe a new set of screen grid resistors.

EDIT: That is, if your amp can handle it.

Archived