Jump to content

Buzzing/vibration sound in amp on low notes - help please


Recommended Posts

  • Members

Im getting a vibrating buzzing sound from somewhere/something inside my amp.

 

It only happens on low notes around A on the low E string for example.

 

It's not so much when I strike a note, but when I let it ring out, then its starts to vibrate/buzz.

 

Happens on both clean and dirty channels

 

I have a Laney LC30II, got it off ebay, the guy had it for a year its near new, he said he didnt have any problems with it.

 

I have clean ch.- Volume on 3, bass = 7, mid = 3, treble =5.

..........drive ch. - Volume on 2, bass = 6, mid = 3, treble =4

reverb = 1

 

Ive removed the back panel and theres really not much in there to buzz that I can see, apart from the speaker.

 

Is there something wrong with my speaker?

How do I fix this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by Paul J. Edwards

Tighten up all the screws on your amp. This does not happen at low volumes?

 

I just tested it at low volumes. It doesnt happen at reeally low volumes, but when I turn up just slightly to where theres a bit of 'movement' it starts to happen.

 

I think its definately a vibration thing - rather than the speaker(is that what you meant about the low volume test?)

 

So when you say tighten all the screws, do you mena ALL of them I can find? (I'll start doing it now anyway) But, its definitely something'inside' the amp, like behind the grill cloth.

 

Tends to come from the front rather than the back.

 

I'll start tightening screws..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by Remedy



I just tested it at low volumes. It doesnt happen at reeally low volumes, but when I turn up just slightly to where theres a bit of 'movement' it starts to happen.


I think its definately a vibration thing - rather than the speaker(is that what you meant about the low volume test?)


So when you say tighten all the screws, do you mena ALL of them I can find? (I'll start doing it now anyway) But, its definitely something'inside' the amp, like behind the grill cloth.


Tends to come from the front rather than the back.


I'll start tightening screws..

 

Sometimes a combo, especially cheap ones, have something vibrating. It could be the cab itself. It could be a tube as well.

 

You can go crazy trying to find the culprit.

 

Wish I could help more. Had the same problem with a Blues Deville. My Marshall 2x12 combo never had this problem. Just a better amp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I just tightened some screws, tightened the speakers bolts, but it didnt help.

 

this sux.

 

how do I know if its a tube?

 

I think Im gonna have to take this somewhere, can it be fixed??

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Play the offending note and press up on a tube from the bottom.You can do this with a pencil eraser although I do it with my finger.If it stops rattling , thats your tube.

Also , put it up on a sofa and look at the guts while playing.My amp had rattling from wires touching the chassis floor.If you see a wire bouncing that's part of your prob.

Walk around the room and make sure it doesn't get louder as you walk away.A hanging picture frame for instance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by BoyoMcLadd

Play the offending note and press up on a tube from the bottom.You can do this with a pencil eraser although I do it with my finger.If it stops rattling , thats your tube.

Also , put it up on a sofa and look at the guts while playing.My amp had rattling from wires touching the chassis floor.If you see a wire bouncing that's part of your prob.

Walk around the room and make sure it doesn't get louder as you walk away.A hanging picture frame for instance.

 

Ok, I tried the tubes like you said, its not them.

 

Ive definitely narrowed it down to the amp, its nothing else in the room vibrating.

 

It sounds like paper buzzing, you know.

 

I think its the speaker somehow, Im looking at the guts as Im playing and it seems to be the speaker.

 

If I replaced it would that help??

 

I might try loosening the speaker right off and screw it in again ??

 

man, just when I was getting the amp dialed in a bit, I notice this fukin buzzzzzzz, whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!????

 

its slightly aggravating

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by The Jeff

Try a different cable. It's a very good possibility. Might be why it only happens on those low notes.

 

tried different cables, it still happens, so we can rule out the cables, thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by BoyoMcLadd

Are the wires that connect to the peaker long enough to have the speaker resting on a pillow while connected?Try that and see if it stops.

 

I undid the speaker and the buzz has stopped, lets see what happens when I tighten the speaker back up..

 

fingers crossed..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
Originally posted by Remedy



Ok, I tried the tubes like you said, its not them.


Ive definitely narrowed it down to the amp, its nothing else in the room vibrating.


It sounds like paper buzzing, you know.


I think its the speaker somehow, Im looking at the guts as Im playing and it seems to be the speaker.


If I replaced it would that help??


I might try loosening the speaker right off and screw it in again ??


man, just when I was getting the amp dialed in a bit, I notice this fukin buzzzzzzz, whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!????


its slightly aggravating

Why not simply plug it into a different cab to easily find out if it is a speaker issue.:confused:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by BoyoMcLadd

So it's not the speaker.It's the vibration from the speaker rattling something in the amp.

 

YES. Thats what it is.

 

I tightened the speaker back on and back comes the buzz.

 

Its definitely the vibration of the speaker rattling something.

 

Now, what next, how do I go about finding what it is..

 

any suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by BoyoMcLadd

Pull the chassis out and use your ear to find out where it's coming from.You'lle find it.

 

hm, theres a screw on the back panel near the power supply, would that be how I take the chassis out? Im a total novice at this stuff.

 

Anyway I gotto go for now, thanks for all your help.

 

I think I may have to take this somewhere, always fucking something isnt it:rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by BoyoMcLadd

Place the chassis and speaker on the same sofa.Try to replicate the rattle out of the cab.Look for movement of wires.Place a vise-grip on input nuts.Remove knobs.

 

I'll try and do this later, thanks man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Hmmn , I've no experience with the Laney , so I don't know how to pull the chassis.Some come out the front others the back.I'm sure you will figure it out.

Before you do that though, try pulling off the knobs and tighten the nuts underneath.Also , if you are a COMPLETE novice , make sure you don't touch the capacitors.(They look kinda like batteries)Also , don't touch anything while the amp is on.(wires etc.)

If you do have to remove the chassis , have it make contact with the speaker(face down) with a rag or sock between the contact point.This should give you the rattle in plain sight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Hey, I tried to take out the chassis - 4 screws on the top , 2 on each side. But then, theres these blocks of wood that stop you removing the chassis out the back of the amp. One of the capacitors hits on one side and the big round thing with wires hits on the other side. So you cant remove the chassis without removing a block or a capacitor. WTF ??

 

The grill actually screws to these blocks of wood, theyre right in the middle of each side of the amp, on the back. They are glued in solid and and nailed in.

 

So then I tried to remove the front panel. Unscrewed it, but its glued at the top. I didnt really want to manhandle it and break it. This things like fort knox.

 

Anyway, I thought Id test out the amp again with the spekaer out and everything unscrewed etc and then I noticed it!

 

The dust cap on the speaker was half unglued. That was the noise (I HOPE) sounded exactly like it anyway. Im pretty sure this is it.

 

SO, I have just siliconed it, looks pretty tight, we'll see tomorrow if its solved the problem.

 

Boyo, thanks for your encouragement and the heads up on the capacitors, much appreciated. This is kind of a good little starting experience for amps etc for me. Maybe I should look at keeping spare tubes and fuses etc. and learning how to change them next..

 

BTW - I noticed one of the capacitors, the spring wasnt over the tube thing properly. The tip of the tube(?) came through the side of the spring, not like the others. Like the spring was crooked sort of thing. Anyway, I dont think it matters right? As the spring and the shileding seemed to be just for protection of the tube thing inside. Is that right?

 

Anyway, we'll see tomorrow if its problem solved.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...