Does the volume pot in the effects loop thing work at all?

LordOVchaoS

• Members

After seeing these: http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUME-MIZER-VOLUME-CONTROL-BOX-GET-YOUR-DESIRED-TONE_W0QQitemZ7414750804QQcategoryZ41422QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for the millionth time I'm wondering if it's worth a shot. I've read that they do absolutely nothing and I've read that they actually do work. I would probably be building my own rather than buying the one on ebay so it may cost me $10 at the most. Is it worth a shot?

• Members

it depends, depends on what kind of effects loop you are using, it worked on my friends classic 50, tried it with my powerball when i had it, and im not sure if it did anything, if the effects loop is series i think it should work, if it doesnt work like its supposed to, the least it will do is smooth out the huge volume jump most tube amps have between 0 and 1.

• Members

Originally posted by freakk guitarist

it depends, depends on what kind of effects loop you are using, it worked on my friends classic 50, tried it with my powerball when i had it, and im not sure if it did anything, if the effects loop is series i think it should work, if it doesnt work like its supposed to, the least it will do is smooth out the huge volume jump most tube amps have between 0 and 1.

That may be a good thing! The volume knob on my recto is like an on/off switch!!! There's no moderate volume level for it, turn the knob slowly and it's like:

quiet fizz... quiet fizz... quiet fizz... BOOM!!!

• Members

I like to play with a volumepedal in the loop of my amps, this is basically the same. I have to add though that you'll need a well buffered loop or you'll notice a good amount of tone-sucking.

So, to answer your question: yes, it is. depending on the loop used.

Giga.

• Members

Originally posted by Giga

I like to play with a volumepedal in the loop of my amps, this is basically the same. I have to add though that you'll need a well buffered loop or you'll notice a good amount of tone-sucking.

So, to answer your question: yes, it is. depending on the loop used.

Giga.

So what both of you guys are saying is that I need to get the series effects loop mod done on my recto :D

• Members

Originally posted by LordOVchaoS

So what both of you guys are saying is that I need to get the series effects loop mod done on my recto
:D

No, actually a volumedevice in a parallel-loop enables you to determine how much of the signal remains unaltered, i.e. setting a minimum volume.

I use my pedal with my UL that way and that works out great !

Giga.

Edit: you might have to fine-tune the value of the pot in the pedal/box though cause it may have a "wrong" taper. This gives you as mooth reaction on the pedal volumewise...

• Members

Originally posted by Giga

No, actually a volumedevice in a parallel-loop enables you to determine how much of the signal remains unaltered, i.e. setting a minimum volume.

I use my pedal with my UL that way and that works out great !

Giga.

Hmmm... good point.

• Members

The only thing I don't like about these is the sellers insinuation (he doesn't say so explicitly) that you can get the sound of a cranked amp (driving your power section hard) at low volumes using his device. You can't. The only way to do so is to use an attenuator between your OT & speaker.

If you have a non-master volume amp with an effects loop, this device will act as a master volume, allowing you to run the preamp into overdrive while attenuating the signal that drives the power section.

If you have a master volume amp, I'm not sure what benefit you hope to or will derive from this box.

• Members

Originally posted by RupertB

The only thing I don't like about these is the sellers insinuation (he doesn't say so explicitly) that you can get the sound of a cranked amp (driving your power section hard) at low volumes using his device. You can't. The only way to do so is to use an attenuator between your OT & speaker.

If you have a non-master volume amp with an effects loop, this device will act as a master volume, allowing you to run the preamp into overdrive while attenuating the signal that drives the power section.

If you have a master volume amp, I'm not sure what benefit you hope to or will derive from this box.

So since my recto isn't a master volume amp you're saying I may benefit a bit from it? Or IS it a master volume amp? I haven't quite had the time to figure this thing out yet. Does the Output knob work the same as a master when the loop is engaged? If so I guess it'd eliminate the need for this knobby thing.

• Members

It really is just a volume pedal in the effects loop. A good effect loop with a EB 6181 25k pot volume pedal will do the same thing and give you more "on the control" fly. They can be bought cheap and will resell well if you dont like it - a better choice if you use any pedals at all.

I personally love having a volume pedal in the effects loop on stage. Just is so versatile in so many ways - shut off for axe changes, pull back on slow songs or passages that need less volume but retain the gain structure......But to use it permanently as this claims - seems ridiculous....It just doesnt do anything to allow you to turn up the volume more. I suppose if you want to use it as bedroom volumes from that initial volume jump - it could be useful - but it wont help you go from say, 2 to 4 on the master or anything like that.

• Members

Originally posted by LordOVchaoS

So since my recto isn't a master volume amp you're saying I may benefit a bit from it? Or IS it a master volume amp? I haven't quite had the time to figure this thing out yet. Does the Output knob work the same as a master when the loop is engaged? If so I guess it'd eliminate the need for this knobby thing.

The Recto is a master volume amp. The Output knob propably does pretty much the same thing. In any case the ONLY benefit the volume box has is that if your amp has a very touchy master volume (0 -> 0.1 = loud) then the box can be used for more gradual control, but it won't let you drive the amp harder or anything.

• Members

Originally posted by CliffC8488

This thing is just a master volume. If your amp is a master volume already it won't do anything you can't already do. A Recto is already master volume.

CC

So my output knob IS a master volume? Explain. I know all the channel volumes are LABLED "Master" but without the effects loop engaged they are your only volume controls.

• Members

The OUTPUT knob will do the same thing as a volume pot in the loop although it's actually after V4:B, where the loop volume would be after V4:A. Since I don't have an OUTPUT knob on my F-100, I cooked up this simple mod to do the same thing:

hal9000F-SeriesMixPotMasterRevB.jpg

You could do the same thing of course, but there's really no reason to.

Archived