Edit Roland D-series with a midi controller?

Stabby

• Members

I'm looking at the midi implementation chart of the Roland D110 and I just can't figure it out. It's so confusing. Apparantly there's a CC message to switch between timbre/patch and the partials, but I can't find it anywhere.

I want to control some main parameters (like waveform, TVF cutoff, TVA envelope, etc) with the knobs on the Microkorg. I'm already using the keys to play the D110. No problems there.

Does anyone have experience with this using the D-series? It will probably be the same for the D10, D20, D50.

You can find the manual here (pages 114-119)

• Members

Most Roland gear uses System Exclusive messages, with Checksum. The D series is no exception, hence the MIDI implementation chart you're pointing at.

No way to use the Microkorg for that, unless you have something in a middle to translate CC to SysEx (i.e. a computer running some software like MIDI Translator or ExMixer on Wintel).

Hardware wise, if you can't find a

, there are a few control surfaces that support checksumed SysEx : the Edirol line (figures :rolleyes:), Encore Electronics Knobby and Slidemate, Peavey PC1600x, PhilRees C16, JLCooper FaderMaster, Kenton ControlFreak, some Doepfer...

:D

• Members

Thanks. The Behringer BCR2000 can do it too. There's even a preset for the D110. Or maybe I could try Midi Quest.

There's not one sentence I understand in the midi implementation chart, so it would be kind of hard to set up a midi translator.

• Members

Once you've figured out how to build a SysEx chain to access said parameter depending on its address in memory, its pretty straightforward, but very time consuming.

:D

I didn't even understand that sentence :lol:

So how can I figure it out? The implementation chart isn't helpful at all.

• Members

D-110 manual page 112 and 116 : there's a Data Set (42H) message description, which is what you want to build for each parameter you want to edit.

Check out Encore Electronics Knobby or Slimemate parameters (text) files for Roland gear at http://www.encoreelectronics.com/knobby-library.html for a more detailed explanation of the messages structure, Roland style.

Here's an exemple taken from the Roland D2.ini (Model ID 00 0B) file :

From the manual, D-110 Model ID is 16.

I sold mine years ago, so I don't have the Performance/Timbre/Tone structure in mind anymore.

:idk:

Archived