How do I download patches to my Korg M1?

Mr Roboto

• Members

I have the sysex files on my PC. I have my USB/MIDI cable hooked up. However, the instructions I have refer to software, but do not explain what software I need to make the dump. I tried the search function, but we all know how that turned out.

Help me!!!

EDIT: Okay, I'm using MIDI-OX. I have selected my output device, and chosen the SYSEX file I want to send. Now I'm stuck.

• Members

In MIDI-OX: open Options > MIDI devices and make sure your MIDI ports actually show up in Port Mapping.

Also, make sure your USB MIDI cable is hooked up with the USB MIDI out connected to the M1's MIDI in. MIDI goes out of the computer in to the synthesizer.

Lastly, make sure that your M1 doesn't filter out system exclusive signals (if it even has that option). Dive through the MIDI settings menus.

• Members

yes to Yoozer

and make sure your host sequencer has not filtered out sysex.

also, I am not sure about the M-1, but a lot of devices need both MIDI in & out hooked up (handshake) for it to transfer properly.

And if you are playing the sysex data from a sequencer playing it in real time, dont play back faster than 60 BPM

• Members

Okay, I did this:

Set your M1 as follows in the global section:

Midi channel to 1

Memory protects to OFF

Midi filtering excl: ENA; 100/100 mode

The PC and M1 are communicating fine, because whenever I hit a key on the M1, it shows in the MIDI OX monitor output window.

So, I select Actions - Send - SysEx File, select the file I want to load, and hit okay. The file data appears in the monitor window, but does not transfer to the M1.

Please understand, I'm completely new to this MIDI stuff. Am I missing something?

• Members

First, follow what my good friend Yoozer already said

But there are a few other things I want to point out for the M1:

Go to the M1:

"GLOBAL" --> hit "PAGE +" until you get to the "MIDI FILTERING" page; there, make sure the parameter "EXCL" is set at "ENA" (enable) instead of "dis" disable) by selecting it with the "G" or "H" key under the display, and changing the parameter with the UP/DOWN buttons

then hit "PAGE +" a few more times until you get to the "Memory Allocation" menu: if you intend to load the original patches, since those are sets of 100, you need to set it at "100PROG/100COMBI/4400SEQ" - If it's set at 50PROG/50COMBI/770SEQ it won't work; then press "EXEC".

Also, in MIDI-OX make sure the "Pass SysEx" setting is checked:

midi_devices.bmp

that your MIDI interface is selected

midi-in-out.bmp

then open up the sysex command

sysex-out.bmp

browse to the M1 sysex you want to send

openfile.bmp

and it should go.

Let us know if you have problems.

• Members

First, follow what my good friend Yoozer already said

But there are a few other things I want to point out for the M1:

Go to the M1:

"
GLOBAL
" --> hit "
PAGE +
" until you get to the "
MIDI FILTERING
" page; there, make sure the parameter "
EXCL
" is set at "
ENA
" (enable) instead of "dis" disable) by selecting it with the "G" or "H" key under the display, and changing the parameter with the UP/DOWN buttons

then hit "
PAGE +
" a few more times until you get to the "Memory Allocation" menu: if you intend to load the original patches, since those are sets of 100, you need to set it at "
100PROG/100COMBI/4400SEQ
" - If it's set at 50PROG/50COMBI/770SEQ it won't work; then press "
EXEC
".

Also, in MIDI-OX make sure the "Pass SysEx" setting is checked:

midi_devices.bmp

that your MIDI interface is selected

midi-in-out.bmp

then open up the sysex command

sysex-out.bmp

browse to the M1 sysex you want to send

openfile.bmp

and it should go.

Let us know if you have problems.

Thanks Paolo. Yes I should have been clear. I already set the midi device, and it shows up in port mapping. Everything checks out according to what you and Yoozer said, and I do everything as you instructed, but nothing seems to happen. Should the M1 be set to a specific function before I do this? I just have it set to PROG.

• Members

It doesn't matter if the M1 is in PROG or COMBI or other mode.... it should receive the sysex

a few more troubleshooting points:

- What USB-MIDI interface are you using? Some of them, for my experience, can be a bit weird with older equipment like the M1 - For example, I had an M-Audio Uno that wouldn't transmit anything to the D-50. Also, those cheap no-brand eBay USB-MIDI interfaces ...

- what happens when you send the sysex to the M1?: do you get a "File Progress" window with a green bar that goes fine til the end, or are you getting a "SysEx Output Devices: The port is transmitting data to the device. Wait until the data has been transmitted, and then try again" If that's the case, go to the MIDI-OX "Options" --> "Configure Buffers" and set the "Low Level Output Buffers" to 128 instead of the default 256 (too fast for the M1 to handle)

- is the sysex file you are using a good one? Try this attached, which I have in front of me and am able to load in my M1 perfectly. It's the original, classic M1 patch set

-

• Members

I just noticed this you wrote:

"The PC and M1 are communicating fine, because whenever I hit a key on the M1, it shows in the MIDI OX monitor output window.

"

Reverse the MIDI cable. Go from your
MIDI interface MIDI OUT
to the
M1 MIDI IN
. Currently you have set it the opposite way

Yeah, it's a MIDI interface I got cheap off Ebay. On one end is the USB plug. This connects to a small device with 3 LEDs on it, a red one, a green one, and a yellow one. Coming out of it are two MIDI cables. One says MIDI IN, and the other says MIDI OUT. I've tried hooking the IN cable, and the OUT cable in to all 3 of the M1s jacks (IN, OUT, and THRU) and sending the SysEx, but nothing worked.

I may be wrong, but since the MIDI interface has an IN and OUT plug, doesn't that mean it can send and receive without having to switch the cables?

• Members

- what happens when you send the sysex to the M1?: do you get a "File Progress" window with a green bar that goes fine til the end, or are you getting a "SysEx Output Devices: The port is transmitting data to the device. Wait until the data has been transmitted, and then try again" If that's the case, go to the MIDI-OX "Options" --> "Configure Buffers" and set the "Low Level Output Buffers" to 128 instead of the default 256 (too fast for the M1 to handle)

-

Yes, I get the file progress window pop up. The green bar goes all the way across, and finishes without a problem. I'll try lowering the buffers to 128 anyway.

• Members

Yeah, it's a MIDI interface I got cheap off Ebay. On one end is the USB plug. This connects to a small device with 3 LEDs on it, a red one, a green one, and a yellow one. Coming out of it are two MIDI cables. One says MIDI IN, and the other says MIDI OUT. I've tried hooking the IN cable, and the OUT cable in to all 3 of the M1s jacks (IN, OUT, and THRU) and sending the SysEx, but nothing worked.

I may be wrong, but since the MIDI interface has an IN and OUT plug, doesn't that mean it can send and receive without having to switch the cables?

no, you have to have both MIDI IN and OUT, for different purposes. When you are sending data from the synth to the computer - for example, if you want to save your patches to a file on your computer- you would go from the synth MIDI OUT to the interface MIDI IN.

In your case, you want to do the opposite: you want to send a sysex file that is on your computer TO the synth

For this, take the cable that says "MIDI OUT" on your usb interface and plug it into the M1 MIDI IN

this is all you need to send the sysex from the computer to the M1

• Members

sorry, I misunderstood here.. But basically, for now, leave the M1 MIDI THRU alone. That's only needed if you have another synth or MIDI device to connect in series

You just want to plug the

USB-MIDI interface MIDI IN ---> Korg M1 MIDI OUT

USB-MIDI interface MIDI OUT ---> Korg M1 MIDI IN

then yes, you don't have to switch cables for communication.

• Members

sorry, I misunderstood here.. But basically, for now, leave the M1 MIDI THRU alone. That's only needed if you have another synth or MIDI device to connect in series

You just want to plug the

USB-MIDI interface MIDI IN ---> Korg M1 MIDI OUT

USB-MIDI interface MIDI OUT ---> Korg M1 MIDI IN

then yes, you don't have to switch cables for communication.

OK, that's how I originally had it, and how I currently have it.

Sorry to be a pain, but I've run out of ideas. It's just not working.

:cry:

• Members

Paolo, I checked the device manager, and no problem there. I also tried using Bome SendSX with basically the same result as with MidiOx. The software thinks it sent the SysEx successfully, but nothing changes on the M1. I'm beginning to think there might be a problem with the M1 itself. I'm going to take it to my local music store, and see if they have any better luck, assuming they have the facilities to upload MIDI data.

Thanks for all the help.

• Members

Paolo, I checked the device manager, and no problem there. I also tried using Bome SendSX with basically the same result as with MidiOx. The software thinks it sent the SysEx successfully, but nothing changes on the M1. I'm beginning to think there might be a problem with the M1 itself. I'm going to take it to my local music store, and see if they have any better luck, assuming they have the facilities to upload MIDI data.

Thanks for all the help.

Any time

It is possible that the MIDI IN port on the M1 went bad - however, I am more inclined to say it's the (sorry!) USB-MIDI interface got on eBay. Before you take the M1 to be checked, I would try with a different USB-MIDI interface if you can. Perhaps if you go to your local music store - they will have one for you to test it with...

Like I said before, I used to have a cheaper Uno and it "just didn't work" with another older synth, the Roland D-50. But when I used another MIDI interface, same settings, it worked. It was the MIDI interface ----> http://www.synthmania.com/d-50.htm and scroll to the end to read about it..

ALSO NOTE: SOME MIDI INTERFACES DON'T SEEM TO WORK WITH THE D-50 - This had me scratching my head! I was trying to load patches from Sonar to the D-50 via an M-Audio "MIDISport Uno" interface: I have used this handy little interface extensively with my laptop and never had any problem. BUT, with the D-50, THE "UNO" DOES NOT WORK, no matter what settings on the ttseq.ini file. After an hour of trying and getting MIDI errors, I switched to my older M-Audio USB MIDISport 1x1, and that WORKS FINE. In the past, I used an Opcode MIDI Translator that also worked fine. And I will try with the MIDI on the M-Audio FireWire 1814 and will report about that one.

• Members

SUCCESS!! :rawk::rawk::thu:

I stopped by my local music store and spent a few more bucks on an M-Audio Midisport Uno USB/MIDI interface. Turns out that was the problem. The one I got off Ebay must be a piece of junk. Now I can download anything in seconds!!

Thanks to everyone for the help, especially Paolo!!! :thu:

• Members

SUCCESS!!
:rawk:
:rawk:
:thu:

I stopped by my local music store and spent a few more bucks on an M-Audio Midisport Uno USB/MIDI interface. Turns out that was the problem. The one I got off Ebay must be a piece of junk. Now I can download anything in seconds!!

Thanks to everyone for the help, especially Paolo!!!
:thu:

I knew it! You know why? The Korg M1 is really well built. I would have bet it was the eBay interface rather than the M1 MIDI port gone bad...

Anyway, congratulations! Now you can play "Gypsy Woman" (patch 17 without the chorus and reverb), the Seinfeld theme (patch 46), pretty much every piano-based House song of the 1990s (patch 41), the NPR Marketplace them (patch 00) and sooo many others :D

• Members

I knew it! You know why? The Korg M1 is
really
well built. I would have bet it was the eBay interface rather than the M1 MIDI port gone bad...

Anyway, congratulations! Now you can play "Gypsy Woman" (patch 17 without the chorus and reverb), the Seinfeld theme (patch 46), pretty much every piano-based House song of the 1990s (patch 41), the NPR Marketplace them (patch 00) and sooo many others
:D

The Seinfeld theme eh? What about Night Court? :lol:

• Members

The Seinfeld theme eh? What about Night Court?
:lol:

:D The Night Court theme came before the Korg M1 came out - Night Court started production in 1984 according to Wikipedia - The M1 came out in 1988.

And since you jest about the Seinfeld theme, young synth practictioner.... Here's a video I just made, to dispel your doubts ;)

K8LDID6j5rs

Archived