Ground loops

The Real MC

• Members

...can be a needle in a haystack.

I just finished rearranging my MIDI studio. It's pretty large. In the past there has been this BZZZZZ not terribly loud but passible for demos and development. I narrowed it down to a rack system but there were a LOT of cables to pull to find it.

I was putting together the new arrangement and kept an ear out for the buzz. I suspected the drum module but to my surprise when I connected the MIDI cables for the Andromeda the buzz came back. Lifted the ground lug on the Andy - no more buzz.

Ahhhhhh.... quiet, non-buzz studio :)

(easy on the "pics or it didn't happen", they'll come)

• Members

Indeed. Inspite of my "one outlet to rule them all" scheme, I forgot about it and tried to connect my TV cable to my PC (to use it as a DVR) and suddenly I had more BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ than you can imagine! It took me a while to realize that (doh!) the cable was causing a horrible ground loop.

• Members

I'm constantly revamping/moving my studio and have to go through this every time ...

1) Keep power run as short as possible ...

2) Put main pieces first in the chain ...

3) Use only one outlet ...

4) Plug in and test each piece independently ... Do the same with audio cables and realize where they are going ...

5) Indentify "noisier" pieces and make them "isolatable" ... (i.e. able to be unplugged easily from chain ... )

6) Turn off pieces not being used during recording ...

7) Use quality cables and power strip/conditioner to lower noise floor ...

Archived