Eddie Van Halen + Single Coil Sounds

Ripping Rudy

• Members

Originally posted by TopJimmy5150

Everything in the song "TopJimmy" is the Ripley Stereo guitar (notice that each string is panned to a different side of the stereo spectrum) except the guitar solo.

The song "5150" and "Best of Both Worlds" is indeed a Strat. The '58 flying V is featured on "Hot for Teacher", "Girl Gone Bad" and "Top of the World" (the Rhythm parts, because by that time Ed had gotten into the habit of overdubbing leads over the entire song...the leads have vibrato bar all of them, so it's probably the old 5150 Kramer or one of his new at-the-time EBMMs)

"Cabo Wabo" is a Fender Electric 12 string, but is NOT a Stratocaster VII.

The solo for "When it's love" is a strat. Not sure about "I'll wait"...it doesn't sound terribly stratty to me.

"Cathedral" is a strat. I believe "Secrets" is another song with some sort of Fender 12 string. I can't remember. Live I believe he used a Kramer 6/12 double neck that was built for him for the tour.

Ed also used an Ibanez Destroyer all over the first 2 albums...anything without a tremelo dive bombs, etc...is probably the Ibanez. "You Really Got me", "Running with the Devil", etc... No singles coils on that guitar, however.

"Finish What you Started" was some Teisco or something. I cannot remember.

Don't forget the intro to "In a Simple Rhyme" which is a Fender 12 string. I love that song, BTW

Secrets was recorded on a Gibson double neck 6/12, live he used that Yellow and black striped kramer doubleneck. From what I understand, he almost never used the "5150" branded Kramer to record with, mostly as a stage guitar.

• Members

I seem to recall that the song "5150" was recorded on the 58 V used for "Hot For Teacher" and "Girl Gone Bad", although the lead part sounds like the Steinberger. The rhythm parts of "Top Jimmy" are the pink stereo Ripley, not a Strat.

"Finish What You Started" - Strat

"Best of Both Worlds" - Strat

"Runaround" - Tele

"Cathedral" - Strat

As AzzFace observed earlier in the thread, the lead parts on "I'll Wait" and "When It's Love" sure SOUND like a Strat.

The 12-string electric pops up from time to time, as previous posters have already mentioned. One instance that I haven't yet seen mentioned is "Poundcake" -- overdubs on the main riff.

• Members

Originally posted by StewieKablewie

Anyway, not sure where you read Girl Gone Bad was the V. I have 1984 transcribed and there's quite a few references to a whammy. Ears say so too...

Guitar World, July 1985 Interview.

There is NO whammy in GGB.

• Members

Originally posted by TopJimmy5150

Guitar World, July 1985 Interview.

There is NO whammy in GGB.

Well there you go. I just listened to GGB again and I can see how he'd play it without a whammy. Saw it transcribed that way and took it as gospel. GGB is probably one of my top 5 favorite Halen tunes.

Now if you can tell me what Dave says after the solo when Ed goes back into the tapped harmonic part, I'll really think you're the man. I think its something like:

"These streets taught me emotion. I don't call them my own". Maybe alluding to Mean Streets?

• Members

Now if you can tell me what Dave says after the solo when Ed goes back into the tapped harmonic part, I'll really think you're the man. I think its something like:

"These streets taught me emotion. I don't call them my own". Maybe alluding to Mean Streets?

I've never been able to pick that out, either. I was always too busy listening to Ed. :D

IMHO, the 1984 album has Ed's best guitar tones. Not too fuzzy, just right. Very Clapton-esque.

• Members

I remember seeing a TV interview years ago where Ed said that he used the Flying V on 5150 (the song). He went on to say that he deliberately left the old manky strings on it cos he thought it sounded cool.

The tab book from 5150 (album) also mentions the V for the songs...

FWIW...

• Members

Right, because a hooker has to fake it.

Girl Gone Bad, ie, prostitute, ie, the topic of the song. :thu:

• 13 years later...

Archived