Eddie Van Halen + Single Coil Sounds

Ripping Rudy

• Members

Originally posted by strangegrey

No it's not. 5150 is his striped kramer bastard

I think he meant that on the song "5150," which is still wrong because he used his Flying V on that song. He did use a Strat for the lead part of When It's Love.

• Members

Originally posted by evilhomer101

Didn't he use the Ripley guitar on the rhythm on Top Jimmy?

As far as I know he only used the Ripley on the open harmonics before each verse.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure where I heard that he used a strat. Maybe its always just sounded so much like a strat that I naturally assumed. I'm befuddled...

• Members

Everything in the song "TopJimmy" is the Ripley Stereo guitar (notice that each string is panned to a different side of the stereo spectrum) except the guitar solo.

The song "5150" and "Best of Both Worlds" is indeed a Strat. The '58 flying V is featured on "Hot for Teacher", "Girl Gone Bad" and "Top of the World" (the Rhythm parts, because by that time Ed had gotten into the habit of overdubbing leads over the entire song...the leads have vibrato bar all of them, so it's probably the old 5150 Kramer or one of his new at-the-time EBMMs)

"Cabo Wabo" is a Fender Electric 12 string, but is NOT a Stratocaster VII.

The solo for "When it's love" is a strat. Not sure about "I'll wait"...it doesn't sound terribly stratty to me.

"Cathedral" is a strat. I believe "Secrets" is another song with some sort of Fender 12 string. I can't remember. Live I believe he used a Kramer 6/12 double neck that was built for him for the tour.

Ed also used an Ibanez Destroyer all over the first 2 albums...anything without a tremelo dive bombs, etc...is probably the Ibanez. "You Really Got me", "Running with the Devil", etc... No singles coils on that guitar, however.

"Finish What you Started" was some Teisco or something. I cannot remember.

• Members

Definately not confusing Girl Gone Bad with House of Pain. I would listen again if I hadn't already listned to 1984 a ton of times.

Anyway, not sure where you read Girl Gone Bad was the V. I have 1984 transcribed and there's quite a few references to a whammy. Ears say so too...

Archived