Yamaha CS1x battery.

blackpig

• Members

Hello, good evening and felicitations to all and sundry. I was wondering if somebody familiar with the workings of electrical keyboards could be of assistance with regard to my old synth. Being a bouzouki player and a folk musician I am therefore a cheapskate. Because of my constant and all-encompassing meanness I purchased a Yamaha CS1x synth from a gentleman in the street some time ago at a bargain price.

The keyboard works fine (I use it in my little home studio) but I have misgivings with regard to replacing its internal battery. The synth is now nearly 14 years old and to the best of my knowledge has never had a replacement battery. What I was wondering was what would happen when the battery wears out - will the synth simply lose user data or will the whole thing die and have to be reprogrammed with all of its sounds and so on?

The machine does have a computer connection at the back but it dates from the days when computers ran on a shovelful of coal and some whale oil.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated but of course will be expected for free - remember that I am a cheapskate and am also having a recession.

• Members

According to the manual (here http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Yamaha/CS_Series/Yamaha%20CS-1X%20Owners%20Manual.pdf), just the user data is lost.

As far as replacement, I've never done one myself. However, what i usually do with a synth I haven't worked on before is flip it over, remove the screws, remove the cover/case, and start poking around. They're all kind of similar. Even if the battery is soldered in, getting the PCB out usually isn't a problem. just take lots of picture with your digital camera, and be careful.

• Members

There's a great little free program for programming the CS-1x called Tune 'em Up. It also works great for backing up user data. It should be available out on the net, but if you can't find it, shoot me a PM.

Found it on the Yamaha UK forums. Thanks!

• Members

Replacement battery, if you decide you need one, is available for very little dough on ebay; I know because I just bought one for my Yamaha S80 a week or so ago. CSX and S80 operating systems are pretty similar, I think ... I know the S80 is supposed to give you an indicator if the battery is low, so you have some warning. The advice given to me was not to mess with it until that happens.

I also found instructions for locating and installing the battery in the S80 in a user review of that keyboard right here on HC. It's easy to find (just scan the first page or so of S80 reviews) and may help you with your board, when you get around to replacing the battery.

Chris

• Members

So just a quick question for you tech people:

Why in the hell did some manufacturers solder the battery?

Did they think their synths were disposable and they'd just be thrown out by the time the battery needed replaced?

Was it because most people feel uncomfortable soldering and they wanted to ensure they were not user serviceable?

Were they worried the battery would become dislodged if somebody manhandled the synth?

I just don't get it.

I need to replace the battery in my old POLY-61 and I'm betting the battery is soldered (which makes me nervous). :rolleyes:

Archived