Blofeld Question

Palaver

• Members

Hi All,

I am about to pull the trigger on a Blofeld. However, I have one question, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm unable to demo a board as it's a special order in the stores that I deal with locally (I'm living in Calgary). I'd obviously be purchasing it for it's dark/evil synth character.

I'm warning you because my question is really dumb:

Does the Blofeld have any internal piano presets? I noticed on some YouTube demos that there are organ sounds and some electro-type keyboard sounds. The sounds are totally 'jam-worthy.'

I'm really hoping there is a usable piano because I'd love to have a little keyboard that I can just grab and go. I really don't enjoy lugging around my heavy stuff all the time. I'd love a Nord Wave, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they charge so much.., this Blofeld seems like a steal.

My last concern is reliability. Are any of you guys using this little beast live? If so, any problems? Is it reliable? I'm a big fan of my PC3x, and I think this would compliment it and my Tetra perfectly.

Cheers,

PB

EDIT: I completely understand that piano sounds ARE NOT the intended design of the unit. I'm just checking out to see if it could be grabbed in a pinch for a jam.

• Members

If you buy the Blofeld Keyboard, then yes, it will have some piano presets in its sample memory. If you buy the module, then you'll have to pay additionally for the sample upgrade.

Beware that Blofeld loses some polyphony when using sample oscillators, which gets further reduced if you're using comb filters and wavetables along.

:thu:

• Members

At approximately the forth minute of this video there is the piano sound.

[YOUTUBE]HFofAhlc9UY[/YOUTUBE]

Does this come with the board? I can't understand the video because I do not speak the language. I am hoping these are all presets included with the board (in this video)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PB

• Members

If you buy the Blofeld Keyboard, then yes, it will have some piano presets in its sample memory. If you buy the module, then you'll have to pay additionally for the sample upgrade.

Beware that Blofeld loses some polyphony when using sample oscillators, which gets further reduced if you're using comb filters and wavetables along.

:thu:

This little keyboard is blowing my mind. It looks perfect for what I need it for. At first I was hell bent on a Virus TI. Then, I thought about the Nord Wave.., and then I ran into this little guy. I've messed around with all the board for a little at some point in time. But I have no access to them all at once, and the stores I've dealt with only had them for short periods of time.

The YouTube link I posted is a wonderful little demo. I think it will make great friends with my PC3x and Tetr4!

BTW: Is the Blofeld trustworthy for live use? I've come across some posts with bug complaints and issues. Has Waldorf taken care of any issues? Anything that I should be concerned with?

• Members

BTW: Is the Blofeld trustworthy for live use? I've come across some posts with bug complaints and issues. Has Waldorf taken care of any issues? Anything that I should be concerned with?

You may want to take a look at the many Blofled bug related posts on the Waldorf forum: http://www.waldorf-forum.com/pipermail/user-forum/2009-December/subject.html

• Members

I'm really wanna get a Blofeld after checking out Jexus' videos on youtube. Truly awesome. But what's the main difference between the Virus series and the Blofelds? Is it a good alternative to the pricier Virus.

[YOUTUBE]PXvQs4Nq06c[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Virus and Blofeld are entirely different beasts sonically.

@Palaver - yes, every sound that's played in that demo is a preset. As I told you, with the keyboard version you get activated sample option, and Blofeld gets loaded with 60 MB of samples, various types of stuff, piano included. But, I think the piano on your PC3x is better for the occasion ;)

• Members

Virus and Blofeld are entirely different beasts sonically.

@Palaver - yes, every sound that's played in that demo is a preset. As I told you, with the keyboard version you get activated sample option, and Blofeld gets loaded with 60 MB of samples, various types of stuff, piano included. But, I think the piano on your PC3x is better for the occasion
;)

I would disagree with you on the Blofeld and Virus being totally different beasts. While you are right in many ways, both are cold, digital, VA synths. It's kind of like if you already own a truck and you're looking for a sports car. Sure a Ferrari is a lot different than a Lambo, but they're both fast, stylish and 'screamers!' Sure I'd LOVE to own both... or at least one of them, but it's definitely not necessary. I see the Blofeld and the Virus TI in the same light.

I know my PC3x is A LOT better with regards to the piano. It's my 'goto' bread and butter + VA. But I can't throw it in a napsack on a whim. I just think it's really neat that the Blofeld is at least 'usable' in a jam pinch, and it's small enough that I can take it wherever.

I appreciate the help!

BTW, the user bugs are of concern. Can anyone chime in on how this thing works in a live setting? Is it up to par?

Cheers,

PB

• Members

Virus sounds darker than Blofeld, whatever you do. Blofeld sounds nastier. Both can sound warm if you make them that way. I've heard Blofeld in not so cold light, believe me
;)

Nice.

I understand that you're quite rehearsed in your synths. I read your posts all the time. Can you comment on any of the bugs/reliability of the Blofeld? I can't seem to find an artist roster of Waldorf products. I am interested in who is really putting this thing through its paces, and if it's trustworthy enough to tour/take on the road.

Cheers,

Phil

• Members

Well, I think user MuzikB could speak a lot about Blofeld, since he owns one and uses it a LOT, he puts it through his paces.

Me, I just played and tweaked Blofeld on several occasions and was amazed at what I got. Didn't bump into any bugs, and that's probably because I wasn't digging too deep into the beast.

If I had it I'd definitely take it to the road. Aluminum casing is very firm and durable. It also looks sexy. :thu:

Archived