Marshall Valvestate VS100 question....

Joeytpg

• Members

Hi guys, i own a Marshall VS100 and after having this amp for 9 years, i just realized that it's got a Tube Preamp. So i've been told that Tubes should be changed every two to three years and mine's got 9 with the same tube.

Can someone explain to me how to change my amp tube? it's a combo and the tube is not visibly shown that's why after 9 years i hadn't seen it. Any VS100 owners around here that can help me out here?

Another question: How can the sound improve after changing the tube? i really like the Clean sound of my amp, but honestly the OD is not that great......i guess it's got that crunchy Marshall sound, but i'm kind of tired of it. My next purchase will be a Mesa/Boogie.

thanks.

rock on!

-Joey-

• Members

I have a Marshall AVT50H head now, and the tube was actually an Electro Harmonix tube. I'm not sure if it was factory or not though. Open, your amp up and see what's in there. I would try one of the new Tung-Sol reissue tubes. I like those in all of my amps. They sound GREAT in my Mesa Boogie!

• Members

Depending on what tube you replace it with, will alter your tone slightly. May "un-muddy" the tone a bit, but with that particular Marshall, it may not do much for you to be honest. I've played that head and liked the crunch a lot, but sounded almost identical to my solid state Marshall G30R-CD (non-tube preamp) - so I didn't buy the head. Remember, with the preamp tube, you just pull it straight out and install the new one reverse of that. Really easy.

• Members

actually, now that you mention it....i've never changed a tube before.......is it really that easy?...pull the tube and push in the other one in the same position de former was? no need to "screw or unscrew?

• Members

i thought only power tubes needed to be changed??

im a tube noob btw, i had the vs100 combo and i never changed the tube, i sold it neways

im curuious now if it wouldve made a difference on my amp

• Members

well i read somewhere that the tubes on an amp should be changed every 2 to 3 years....i dunno if it's true or not, BUT in MY case it's been 9 years, i believe the amp could use a new tube anyways! hehe :)

• Members

preamp tubes dont need to be changed as often..

however, I'd definitely recommend a set of Tung Sols for your valvestate..

I have an amp that is like a valvestate.. tube preamp, SS poweramp.. and after changing from GT 12ax7's to the Tung Sol's, it sounds so much better.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Joeytpg

well i read somewhere that the tubes on an amp should be changed every 2 to 3 years....i dunno if it's true or not, BUT in MY case it's been 9 years, i believe the amp could use a new tube anyways! hehe
:)

I'm assuming theyre 12ax7's.. and theyre pretty cheap, like $15 a piece..

and with preamp tubes, you dont need to rebias them like power amp tubes, so you just take the old ones out, put the new ones in.

http://www.thetubestore.com/tungsol12ax7.html

;)

after a quick google search, sounds like you only have one tube.

• Members

hehe thanks a lot ruger270man i guess I should've researched more before ordering the tubes...... i guess i could order one Tungsol and try 'em both out.....

have you tried the Electro-Harmonix tube? it seems to have great Reviews.

Another question....... Will i notice a big difference in sound??? what kind of difference will i really notice?... more clarity in the sound?....less muddy? what?

thank you :)

Archived