attn: I apologize for this (politics inside)

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

a disclaimer if you will:

I have no problem with liberals, I'm not one to disagree and take it personally... as far as I'm concerned, liberals and conservatives are both after the same thing, just with different methods of getting there. But every now and then I hear something or see something and I can't understand what goes through thier heads...

Obviously this person isn't speaking for all liberals, so I'm not taking it that way, but the fact that there is a market for a T-shirt like this, and the fact that people are actually buying enough of them for one to show up in my small town scares me, so here it is

So I work at a grocery store, and a guy walks in wearing a shirt that says:

The Fundamentalists Voted for a Holy War and All I Got Was This Lousy Draft Notice

I don't even know what to say... how would someone come to the conclusion that this statement has any pertinence to the war in Iraq? To be honest, the shirt might have nothing to do with Iraq and might be regarding a war I'm not aware of, if so, please clue me in... But I don't remember anyone voting for a war, and I definitely don't remember any draft, all I remember are some left wing nuts starting up a draft scare during election time and giving hard working liberal americans a bad name...

And to call the war in Iraq a holy war makes my head hurt... the only ones who brought religion into this were the ones in the planes... We are in Iraq because Hussein was toying with us during weapons inspections and wasn't cooperating in finding Bin Laden... These left wing nuts are lucky that most Americans have a bad memory, because these days everyone thinks we are fighting because "they" slammed the planes into the twin towers, and they have ceased to remember who "they" is exactly. I remember well all the chances we've given Hussein since the last war, and I remember that a lot happened between 9/11 and our actual attack... Sadly, most don't, and the crazies prey on that

Seriously tho, lets hear from some liberals, what does this shirt have to do with anything? How is this anything other than willful verbal manipulation? I know (most) conservatives will agree with me, so lets hear from someone that this shirt is supposed to speak for... really, this thread is not about justifying the war, or my opinions about the war, its about the shirt and the growing trend lately of throwing out these highly loaded phrases that don't actually ever hold water... this is what scares me the most, just because a statement draws a very real emotion out of you doesn't mean its truthful or honest (and yes there is a difference between the two)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Loghead

What the {censored} are you talking about?

It helps to read sir, but, if you really are honestly lost or need something to get you interested in the short novel I typed up, I'm commenting on a T-Shirt I saw at the grocery store I work at, and I guess a trend that the shirt represents

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

a disclaimer if you will:

I have no problem with liberals, I'm not one to disagree and take it personally... as far as I'm concerned, liberals and conservatives are both after the same thing, just with different methods of getting there. But every now and then I hear something or see something and I can't understand what goes through thier heads...

Obviously this person isn't speaking for all liberals, so I'm not taking it that way, but the fact that there is a market for a T-shirt like this, and the fact that people are actually buying enough of them for one to show up in my small town scares me, so here it is

The Fundamentalists Voted for a Holy War and All I Got Was This Lousy Draft Notice

I don't even know what to say... how would someone come to the conclusion that this statement has any pertinence to the war in Iraq? To be honest, the shirt might have nothing to do with Iraq and might be regarding a war I'm not aware of, if so, please clue me in... But I don't remember anyone voting for a war, and I definitely don't remember any draft, all I remember are some left wing nuts starting up a draft scare during election time and giving hard working liberal americans a bad name...

And to call the war in Iraq a holy war makes my head hurt... the only ones who brought religion into this were the ones in the planes... We are in Iraq because Hussein was toying with us during weapons inspections and wasn't cooperating in finding Bin Laden... These left wing nuts are lucky that most Americans have a bad memory, because these days everyone thinks we are fighting because "they" slammed the planes into the twin towers, and they have ceased to remember who "they" is exactly. I remember well all the chances we've given Hussein since the last war, and I remember that a lot happened between 9/11 and our actual attack... Sadly, most don't, and the crazies prey on that

Seriously tho, lets hear from some liberals, what does this shirt have to do with anything? How is this anything other than willful verbal manipulation? I know (most) conservatives will agree with me, so lets hear from someone that this shirt is supposed to speak for... really, this thread is not about justifying the war, or my opinions about the war, its about the shirt and the growing trend lately of throwing out these highly loaded phrases that don't actually ever hold water... this is what scares me the most, just because it draws a very real emotion out of you doesn't mean its truthful or honest (and yes there is a difference between the two)

You know America could do it's part just by relocating Isreal to Utah and BAM! Middle East conflict over forever!

Nobody has to worry about election cheating theocracies or silly T-shirts anymore.:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by bob the dentist

Hahaha

I think it's funny, it's not supposed to be an in-depth thesis on fundamentalism and war, it's a damn T-shirt, lighten up.

I never said it was, I was asking those who disagree with the war how they felt about a statement like this...

I know if I saw someone wearing a shirt that claimed to prove why god wanted iraq wiped off of the face of the earth, in a serious and non satirical manner mind you, I would probably be on here apologizing on most sane christians or republicans behalfs... I personally wouldn't want someone like that speaking for me

• Members

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

The Tee shirt might not have liberal origins - could be produced by an anti-fundamentalist conservative. Or a small Tee shirt company that is hip to the trends in politics and has found a design that sells.

I guess this is true, I didn't catch the distributers name...

point taken

• Members

Originally posted by feintguitarist

He's talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT... Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

Come again?! I'm just as confused as loghead now

• Members

Although I'm definitely no longer a Bush supporter, voting for him the first time but voting for neither fisted puppet the second, I'm far from being a liberal, as well. Basically, I'd just ignore a dumb shirt like that unless someone was trying to push their view on me vocally, as well. Chances are the shirt was purchased during the period of time of concerns by some over a draft.

But at some point and time, that shirt could possibly have more meaning; obviously not currently, though.

• Members

Originally posted by feintguitarist

He's talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT... Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

God damn you Walter! You {censored}in' asshole! Everything's a {censored}in' travesty with you, man! And what was all that {censored} about Vietnam? What the {censored}, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the {censored} are you talking about?

• Members

I never said it was, I was asking those who disagree with the war how they felt about a statement like this...

I know if I saw someone wearing a shirt that claimed to prove why god wanted iraq wiped off of the face of the earth, in a serious and non satirical manner mind you, I would probably be on here apologizing on most sane christians or republicans behalfs... I personally wouldn't want someone like that speaking for me

With this, I totally agree. As a matter of fact, people at the SSS political forum are already acting about as bad as if that was arleady constantly going on, IMO. I'd side with a lot of them if they weren't so screwed up in the opposite direction as what they're against. :D

• Members

Theres whackos on both sides. I find that those types of shirts (and bumperstickers) are worn or displayed for only 2 purposes.

1. "Hey, LOOK AT ME!!!! Yeah thats right car behind me, LOOK AT MY POLITICAL VIEWS!! Thats right bitch.

2. Just to get under the skin of people who think differently about the subject.

"good lord, look at this dip{censored}" is about the only thing that goes through my head when I see something displayed of this nature.

• Members

We are in Iraq because Hussein was toying with us during weapons inspections and wasn't cooperating in finding Bin Laden... These left wing nuts are lucky that most Americans have a bad memory, because these days everyone thinks we are fighting because "they" slammed the planes into the twin towers, and they have ceased to remember who "they" is exactly. I remember well all the chances we've given Hussein since the last war, and I remember that a lot happened between 9/11 and our actual attack... Sadly, most don't, and the crazies prey on that

I don't think we are in Iraq because "[Hussein] wasn't cooperating in finding Bin Laden". We are in Iraq to secure our continued flow of oil. Blood for oil. BTW, I think the shirt is a bit off basis, while Bush seemingly disregards Muslims, the real motivation for the current war is one of economics. It's sad that many Americans still feel this war was ever justified.

• Members

It is "chinaman"

The chinese (apart from being commies) are real men. They've earned the word "man".

Its us white guys who barely deserve the word "man" anymore. We are way too feminized.

Its chinaMAN.

ArabMAN

WhiteUsedToBeMan(1600AD rip).

Any chinaMan offended by "chinaman" forgot what "man:" means. Never be afraid to afix MAN to anything but "woMAN" (proper spelling: wimmin).

Anyways that t-shirt makes no sense. What draft? Nobody is getting draft notices.

And what war? The war is over.

The american troops are not fighting a war right now. They are just doing what the iraqi police should be doing: catching terorrists (insurgents) criminals. Insurgents, many of whom arent even iraqi (they are foreign invaders from other arab nations).

Now its a war on crime not a war

on iraqis.

The wording of that t-shirt sounds like it was written by an arabic person and arabs are anything but liberals.

• Members

Originally posted by gafyagaton

And what war? The war is over.

The american troops are not fighting a war right now. They are just doing what the iraqi police should be doing: catching terorrists (insurgents) criminals. Insurgents, many of whom arent even iraqi (they are foreign invaders from other arab nations).

Now its a war on crime not a war

on iraqis.

The wording of that t-shirt sounds like it was written by an arabic person and arabs are anything but liberals.

It's now an occupation that will ensure we're able to install a puppet government so we can have our way in the future as well.

• Members

Seriously tho, lets hear from some liberals, what does this shirt have to do with anything? How is this anything other than willful verbal manipulation? I know (most) conservatives will agree with me, so lets hear from someone that this shirt is supposed to speak for...
really, this thread is not about justifying the war, or my opinions about the war, its about the shirt and the growing trend lately of throwing out these highly loaded phrases that don't actually ever hold water
... this is what scares me the most, just because a statement draws a very real emotion out of you doesn't mean its truthful or honest (and yes there is a difference between the two)

If you think that liberals are the only ones who use loaded phrases and verbal manipulation, as well as gross exagerations and outright lies...then I direct you to anything Ann Coulter has ever written or said. You can toss El Rushbo and Rick Santorum in there as well...

Archived