Roland RD300GX & Garageband

GigMan

• Members

I am trying to hook up my Roland RD300GX to my 2.66ghz./4gb/duo core/20" iMac (OSX v10.5.8) to use as a MIDI controller for Garageband - actually, so my 7th gr. son the piano player can play w/it, his school play is looking for a few sound effects and musical cues, so I thought it'd be neat for him to try it doing them in GB...

I can get GB to recognize an Oxygen 8 MIDI controller w/no problem & it trigger's GB's built-in sounds, which are actually pretty good, btw... but when I try connecting the RD300GX (via USB, since the 300GX has USB/built-in MIDI intfrc.), it won't trigger the GB sounds.

I have the IAC driver activated in the Audio/MIDI utility of Mac OSX, which seems to handle recognizing the Oxygen 8 w/no problem - but do I have to add the RD300GX as a new device in Audio/MIDI? - - or do I actually need to download a driver specific to the Roland RD300GX? It doesn't say anything about that in the 300GX's manual.

The Oxygen 8 is a tiny little 2 octave kybd. I borrowed from school - too small to play anything substantial, otherwise I'd use it... besides I like the feel of the Roland RD300GX for my son's playing - I'd like to use it.

I suppose I could also take down the RD300GX and set up my Yam. S90ES instead but it's a beast and I'd rather not have to lug it out tonite if possible... :eek::lol:

:cool:

• Members

Ok I couldn't get the RD300GX to work w/Garageband so I set up my Yam. S90ES instead, downloaded the Mac USB driver, I changed the Output in the S90ES Utility section from MIDI to USB & connected S90ES to the iMac via USB.

I can see that the S90ES is recognized as a device in the Audio/MIDI utility... yet I still can't get any sounds to trigger in Garageband - what am I missing? I see 8 "Ports" listed on the S90ES's Device icon in Audio/MIDI utility - not sure what the hell that's all about though? :rolleyes:

• Members

...never mind, I went back into the Utility section of the S90ES, saw that it was still on MIDI - changed it back to USB and it works! Maybe it defaults to MIDI when you turn off the S90ES? - - which I probably did, in frustration to get the thing working.

All this to record 3 short musical cues for a middle school play - that and the fact that I've had the iMac since last summer and haven't messed w/Garageband much so at least now I'm set up to do so... :wave:

Archived