Sign in to follow this  
Joeytpg

Line 6 HD147 or Mesa Mark IV ???

i can't spend more than $1,500 and i need to buy a 2x12 cab to go along with the amp.......which one you recommend??

i play mostly Rock stuff... Punk, hard rock, meta, clean stuff (not jazz or blues) but clean alternative stuff......... mostly for "rock - hard rock"

actually i know it sounds like a joke..........because of the superiority of the Mark....but i dunno, i heard some great HD147 clips and the versatility the HD147 has with the dif. cabs models, and the amps and stuff.....i don't know hehehhee

i think i smoked something... :) honestly....it's a 90% to 10% in favor of the mkIV but i just wanted to make sure....... (haven't played any of them.....here in Dominican Republic we don't have em for sale or to try out... :( )

Originally posted by Joeytpg

actually i know it sounds like a joke..........because of the superiority of the Mark....but i dunno, i heard some great HD147 clips and the versatility the HD147 has with the dif. cabs models, and the amps and stuff.....i don't know hehehhee

i think i smoked something...
:)
honestly....it's a 90% to 10% in favor of the mkIV but i just wanted to make sure....... (haven't played any of them.....here in Dominican Republic we don't have em for sale or to try out...
:(
)

If you actually LIKED the HD147 sounds, then you might not like the warm, all tube tone of the Mark IV. THe HD147 clips I've heard sounded like dog {censored}e.

wait, there was a guy around here somewhere that posted a few clips of his HD147 and they rocked........

but i've heard A LOT of awsome mkIV clips, and the reviews, the clips, the users can't be wrong....the mesa wins this HANDS DOWN.....i was just curious :)

i'd like to try an HD147, or own one tho......but again....i want a mark IV a Recto, a Diezel too :p

I own an HD147. Sounds amazing. Everyone always knocks it because its digital but I doubt any of them have really heard it.

A friend of mine used to be a tube snob ( played a Marshall JCM800 and a Peavey JSX ). He listened to me playing some random riffs on my HD147 and wanted to buy one right then.

The HD147 has a huge variety of tones. Not all of them are good. In fact, its very easy to make it sound like total ass. But, if you want a super-tight feel and response, you can't go wrong with digital.

That said, the Mark IV is a great amp, but I think it costs more than $1500 just for the head.

If you do get the opportunity to try an HD147, here are the settings I use:

Amp: Bomber Uber yellow light

Cab: Connor 50

Gain: 4

Bass: 3

Mid: 10

Treble: 5

Presence: 10

I use a bright guitar with EMG 89 pickups, so adjust as necessary.

Tight, crushing, warm, cutting... excellent sound.

( you'll notice I'm advertising mine for sale. Only because I want a Vetta II, the more complicated and varied model that Line 6 offers ).

The high end digital amps are truly great sounding. Don't think "NO TUBE NO TONE", as its simply not true.

Originally posted by mparsons

I own an HD147. Sounds amazing. Everyone always knocks it because its digital but I doubt any of them have really heard it.

A friend of mine used to be a tube snob ( played a Marshall JCM800 and a Peavey JSX ). He listened to me playing some random riffs on my HD147 and wanted to buy one right then.

But, if you want a super-tight feel and response, you can't go wrong with digital.

The high end digital amps are truly great sounding. Don't think "NO TUBE NO TONE", as its simply not true.

1) I don't knock it cause it's digital, my POD is all I use at band practices, at gigs and when I'm recording late. I get good tones out of it. I knock the HD147 cause I saw the Line6 demo and it sounded like crap. If THEIR demo sounds like crap, imagine the real amp? I mean, who's better to market it than Line6 themselves? lol

2) Now, you seem to be a rhythm player (a metal rhythm player at that). No offense to you, but digital amps might be excellent for your metal rhythm playing, but they are never as thick, as searing and as chewy sounding as an all tube amp when playing real guitar, which is lead.

Having that said, I don't buy an amp for its metal rhythm tone, otherwise, I would be content of the HD147. I have no doubt it does the "metal rhythm" thing very well (even better than the Mark IV), but the quality of an amp is IMO measured by its LEAD tone, and the Mark IV has got one of the thickest, chewy-est, smoothest, singing lead tone ever.

So in my opinion, unless you only play metal rhythms with gobs of gain and want a "super-tight feel and response", the HD147 is useless and the Mark IV is one of the best amps ever made for lead playing.

Originally posted by Snakebite20

1) I don't knock it cause it's digital, my POD is all I use at band practices, at gigs and when I'm recording late. I get good tones out of it. I knock the HD147 cause I saw the Line6 demo and it sounded like crap. If THEIR demo sounds like crap, imagine the real amp? I mean, who's better to market it than Line6 themselves? lol

2) Now, you seem to be a rhythm player (a metal rhythm player at that). No offense to you, but digital amps might be excellent for your metal rhythm playing, but they are never as thick, as searing and as chewy sounding as an all tube amp when playing real guitar, which is lead.

Having that said, I don't buy an amp for its metal rhythm tone, otherwise, I would be content of the HD147. I have no doubt it does the "metal rhythm" thing very well (even better than the Mark IV), but the quality of an amp is IMO measured by its LEAD tone, and the Mark IV has got one of the thickest, chewy-est, smoothest, singing lead tone ever.

So in my opinion, unless you only play metal rhythms with gobs of gain and want a "super-tight feel and response", the HD147 is useless and the Mark IV is one of the best amps ever made for lead playing.

lol

I actually am a lead player, and when it comes to leads, my HD147 sounds great. I don't know how 'chewy' sounds, but its definitely thick, smooth, and creamy without losing definition, which is what I want in a lead tone. I can pretty easily nail a searing tone as well.

The Line 6 demo... well since when have anything Line 6 had as a preset or a demo sounded good?

That said, a Mark IV is one of the 3 amps that I'd love to own one day but can't due to price ( Uberschall and VHT being the other two ).

For the variety of great sound I don't think a Line 6 can be beat. But if you only want one sound, then by all means go after that 'one sound' you want.

Originally posted by Snakebite20

1) So...you haven't even heard one in person... I don't know if you've noticed, but every clip/video on the line 6 site sounds like crap. Based on those things, no one would buy line 6.

The HD-147 sounds NOTHING like that video in the right hands.

2) Same thing. If you're capable of tweaking an amp, you'll get thick, smooth lead-goodness in a second.

That said, if I had a big budget that would allow me to buy the Mark IV + the effects the HD 147 models (they sound awesome), and then some I would go that way.

But if I'm on a tighter (read: NORMAL) budget, there's just no freaking way I would pass on the HD-147.

Originally posted by mparsons

here are the settings I use:

Amp: Bomber Uber yellow light

Cab: Connor 50

Gain: 4

Bass: 3

Mid: 10

Treble: 5

Presence: 10

I use a bright guitar with EMG 89 pickups, so adjust as necessary.

Tight, crushing, warm, cutting... excellent sound.

High end spikey fuzz with those settings......I own one too....it backs up my Dual Recto......and it does so very well.....I almost dial the presence and treble completely out but again I use the Big Bottom model.........the amp is extremely bright to begin with......the presence and treble just add to the fuzz.......I use EMG's.......with the treble/presence dialed back it's not so much a can 'o bees in a band mix that alot of people complain about.....

Originally posted by Gaindrain

1) So...you haven't even heard one in person... I don't know if you've noticed, but every clip/video on the line 6 site sounds like crap. Based on those things, no one would buy line 6.

The HD-147 sounds NOTHING like that video in the right hands.

2) Same thing. If you're capable of tweaking an amp, you'll get thick, smooth lead-goodness in a second.

That said, if I had a big budget that would allow me to buy the Mark IV + the effects the HD 147 models (they sound awesome), and then some I would go that way.

But if I'm on a tighter (read: NORMAL) budget, there's just no freaking way I would pass on the HD-147.

1) I would never try an amp that's geared towards rhythm players and metalheads...and that Ben Moody supports :eek:

Still, I know Line6 makes good products, namely the POD and the Flextone amps, both of which I tried (POD, POD 2.0, Flextone HD and Flextone combo). It's just the whole "metal mentality" that I can't grasp or tolerate.

2) Okay if you tell me you can get satisfying lead tones I give you the benefit of the doubt. However, I doubt these lead tones would satisfy my ears.

3) Why don't you save up a little more to get what you really want instead of a Line6 then ? One should buy a product cause it's THIS product he wants, not cause it's the only thing he can afford.

You can get a Vetta 2 for that price. Vetta 2 > HD147,Mesa

Plus it has upgradable tones so you can play pretty much ANY style of music with it, Why be limited ?

Originally posted by EdgeOfDarkness

You can get a Vetta 2 for that price. Vetta 2 > HD147,Mesa

Plus it has upgradable tones so you can play pretty much ANY style of music with it, Why be limited ?

Computer chips can be limiting :idea:

i love it when folks give advice about amps theyve never tried to tweak themselves.

it sure gives the poster some useful info

:confused: