Marshall Artist 4203 is a mini JCM800?

separanets

• Members
Originally posted by JerryP

It's not an 800. They sound pretty good, but they aren't JCM800's. The Artist has a solid state preamp and a tube power amp section. That one 12AX7 tube is a phase inverter, not a preamp gain stage.

Jerry

That's what I thought. Kinda like my old Carvin.

• Members

I have one and think they're great. I used to own a Silver Jubilee combo and the 4203 sounds similar but has more gain and is not as articulate. I like the 4203 better for highgain, and it definitely has a JCM 800 voice to it. It is actually a "relative" to that series.

The price seems expensive, but you do live in Moscow which I now believe is the most expensive city in the world! If you ever come over to Sweden you can pick mine up for half that! He he :wave:

• Members

Yes, guys I was getting a ticket to Taiwan and the Russian company demanded $1000 so I needed to buy a ticked from Israel to Frankfurt and then to Taiwan which was only $600 altogether. :)

Anyway, the price was around $400 and the rest was the unreliable shipment to Moscow. No one has bought it and it's taken off now. But thank you, I'll keep this amp in mind.

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

When you say "JCM800" which model do you mean? Because there were a few different amps. And really, this amp was out in the JCM800 era so it could be considered one. JCM800 is kind of a generic term.

The Artists are the red-headed stepchildren of the JCM800 line. Manufactured during the same period, but a little "off" in the eyes of most. I've owned one of the heads since 1989; works great for a straight-ahead rock sound. No pristine clean to speak of, more of a dirty, Stonesy clean plus a boost that puts you into high-gain territory (at least the '80s definition of high gain).

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

When you say "JCM800" which model do you mean? Because there were a few different amps. And really, this amp was out in the JCM800 era so it could be considered one. JCM800 is kind of a generic term.

This Artist was included in the list called JCM800 on a website, so I thought it was a sort of JCM800. That's all.

• Members

The JCM800 is not for bedroom playing, is it? So I was looking for a mini JCM800. here is the list:

2205 JCM800 Split Channel Reverb, 50W head

4001 Studio 15, 15W 1x12" combo

4010 JCM800, 50W 1x12" combo

4104 JCM800, 50W 2x12" combo

4203 Artist, 30W 1x12" combo

4210 JCM800 Split Channel Reverb, 50W 1x12" combo

4212 JCM800 Split Channel Reverb, 50W 2x12" combo

And the items I found only the Artist available for bidding.

Now they've put it up once again. No one wants to buy it for $411+shipment

• 2 weeks later...

Archived