Roland RD-700SX vs RD-700GX Digital Piano

oceancruze1

• Members

In my opinion, the GX is a vast improvement. I played the SX and struggled to find a grand piano patch I actually liked. In contrast the GX sounds pretty good and the Supernatural Upgrade Kit improves the sound of the GX even more. In addition, the GX has ivory key tops which I found to be excellent to play when I tested one out at my local store.

The even newer "NX" model is out now. Based on the spec, I do not see much point in upgrading to that model. If I were you, I would try and source a good deal on a floor model GX. That is what I am thinking about doing, though personally, I may opt for a Nord Piano due to the better range of piano sounds and lighter weight of the board.

Cheers

• Members

Well, as an RD700SX owner I'll tell ya:

I can take or leave the simulated ivory keys, but I was royally po'd when the GX hit stores two months after I got my SX with two features I wish I had:

1) USB flashdrive port.

2) A jog wheel instead of those stupid increment/decrement buttons.

• Members

Thanks for the input. Yes the jog wheel seems to be easier to navigate of course. Does the SX have accordion and sax voices and maybe a violin? The German Accordion and Paris Romance accordion voices are great, organs, strings, pianos all great. I don't have an SX at the moment to compare to that is why I am asking,

Carl

• Members

If I were you, I would try and source a good deal on a floor model GX.

Preferably one on which the keys haven't been ground to dust by customers!

Yep, it bears mentioning that Roland ivory keytops are susceptible to quite severe wear, often in a relatively short space of time. This is by no means particular to the GX - their HP series and V-Piano have exhibited the same flaw.

I'll probably still get one someday, though...

• Members

Does anyone know about expansion cards for these? I am considering buying the GX but want more instrumental sounds like violin maybe harmonica saxes and other orchestral sounds. I know the SRX-06 gives you this but can you use one on a GX and are they worth the money or are they just trying to get some more bucks outa ya?

• Members

The GX has two SRX expansion slots. I have always found the SRX boards useful, but only you will know for sure after you try the SRX-06. Look for one priced at $200 or less new. If you don't like it, you could sell the board for $100 - $150.

• Members

There are plenty of user and professional reviews on the web where you can read that the GX is an improvement over the the SX. That being said, a better choice is the new NX which costs $200 more than the GX. The NX actually costs less than the GXF, which typically costs about $400 more than the GX. With the NX (or the GXF) you get Roland's SuperNATURAL piano sound. This feature will be important to you.

The GX has the Supernatural pianos on it too. There are three acoustic types built in as well as the electric piano modeling too. I am not sure what the exact differences are as I have not looked at the NX (it was not available when I purchased my GX). There is an expansion board that you can get for the GX that adds several more Supernatural pianos to it. I think that if I were buying today then yeah, I would wait for a sale and spend the extra $200 on th eNX. My son and I both like the GX, though. We use it for practice and personal entertainment, not for gigging. I also use it as a controller for my Korg M3M. The main reason why I bought it though is so that I can practice using headphones later in the evening when my little kids are asleep, and for that it is wonderful.

• Members

Does the NX have the same flash capabilities as the FX? I'm under the impression you can load samples into that model.

Can the 'electric grand' sound (CP-80 sound) be programmed with sympathetic string resonance? If not, is it possible to create a patch that uses an electric grand strike/decay sample, layered with an acoustic piano that only sounds the sympathetic string resonance? What kind of polyphony would this leave? It might be kind of a weird sound to layer acoustic and electric grands this way, but I am curious how it sounds and performs if there is no possibility to have the electric grand sound it's own sympathetic string resonance...

• Members

Gribs, I have seen that mug Ha Ha on some old threads I have been reading about the GX and your comments. You look a little like Ringo Starr course I can't see your face!

Thanks for all your info, demo ing the GX at the Guitar Center I love it and find it blows the piano sounds of my Motif XS away. They sound so piss poor they are really pathetic to me now. I don't get it the Roland samplings are so much better sounding to me now. I was not really that much into piano voices really when I bought it but wanted all the bells and whistles of a workstation. However now I find myself playing piano tunes and WOW what sound I don't see how it is any different than sitting down at a Grand!

However the flipside of the coin is I give up so many other orchestral sounds I like so I have been looking at the expansion cards. I want at the very min nice accordion voices along with violin, sax, bells and other whistles. I get some of that on GX's presets but probably not enough to make me happy. Accordion is a must and I do like the German Accordion on the GX, Paris Romance is nice and I get plenty of Violin voices on the Orchestral expansion card. Do they do this on purpose so you'll buy both a workstation too or at the min a handful of expansion cards??

• Members

Gribs do you find anything wrong with the GX's piano's, rhodes, and other samplings? I have been reading alot of criticism in threads about it being the ultimate end all realistic sounding piano keyboard than complementary ones. Some saying that to make some of the samplings like the "Ultimate Piano" sound even decent you have to tweak and tweak it until it sounds even respectable. However I have read, which sounds very encouraging is that it is very intuitive and easy to tweak the samplings and come up with something more suited to your taste and getting around on the keyboard is very easy the way it is setup. My Motif seems like a nightmare, just simply watching the DVD they lose me in 15 minutes and I am like what are you kidding I gotta be a rocket scientist with music and waveforms to play this thing and I've got a degree in Math and also Electrical Eng!

Archived