Tried to Buy a Triple Recto, but.....

mercedesrules

• Members

...walked out empty-handed.

I was at Guitar Center, Dallas, TX yesterday and was seriously considering finally purchasing a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier head. They had two there,and each was marked $1,799. I assumed that this was the new price.

Neither was marked "used" and one looked a little less dusty so I had some guy plug me into that one. Before plucking a note, my wife, who doesn't know that much about amps said, "What's all of that noise?" There was a loud hiss in the cab...with the standby still on.

I didn't know how to change channels (no footswitch) and neither did the salesman. He finally found the knob on the back and set it to "clean". We flipped the standby and eased up the gain and volume but there was no sound...except more hiss. Ditto with the other channels.

So, we plugged in the other head. Following the same plan we set it to "clean" and eased up the gain, etc. When there was finally sound it was distorted at even very quiet levels. He changed to a different (third) cab and it didn't improve much. The gain channels did have some sound but then I noticed silver marker dots around the knobs - as if someone had scribbled settings near each one. This amp was definitely used.

Now, the guy asks me, "Why do you need so much power; we have a Dual Rectifier new in the box?" This is the second time a Guitar Center dude has tried to discourage me from buying the Triple.

It did discourage me a lot and makes me wonder if they really want to sell Triples ...or just keep a couple of lemons around to help sell other amps. :p:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by mercedesrules

I was at Guitar Center, Dallas, TX yesterday and was seriously considering finally purchasing a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier head. They had two there,and each was marked $1,799. I assumed that this was the new price.

Neither was marked "used" and one looked a little less dusty so I had some guy plug me into that one. Before plucking a note, my wife, who doesn't know that much about amps said, "What's all of that noise?" There was a loud hiss in the cab...with the standby still on.

I didn't know how to change channels (no footswitch) and neither did the salesman. He finally found tha knob on the back and set it to "clean". We flipped the standby and eased up the gain and volume but there was no sound...except more hiss. Ditto with the other channels.

So, we plugged in the other head. Following the same plan we set it to "clean" and eased up the gain, etc. When there was finally sound it was distorted at even very quiet levels. He changed to a different (third) cab and it didn't improve much. The gain channels did have some sound but then I noticed silver marker dots around the knobs - as if someone had scribbled settings near each one. This amp was definitely used.

Now, the guy asks me, "Why do you need so much power; we have a Dual Rectifier new in the box?" This is the second time a Guitar Center dude has tried to discourage me from buying the Triple.

It discouraged me a lot and makes me wonder if they really want to sell Mesas ...or just keep a couple of lemons around to help sell other amps.
:p:confused:

to be fair those triples have probably been sitting there for a few years and have seen their fair share of noodlers.

the triple deffinatly has a tighter sound to it, so if you really want that metal head tone go for it, dont let GC employees who know very little about the product discurrage you

• Members

Originally posted by xbryanx

to be fair those triples have probably been sitting there for a few years and have seen their fair share of noodlers.

the triple deffinatly has a tighter sound to it, so if you really want that metal head tone go for it, ...

That's what I thought. Also, the clean should logically be louder. They would seem like a bargain at only $100 more with 50% more watts.

• Members

I disagree I think the triple's sound just as good if not better and especially for metal with the better headroom. I in general don't think most people get great tones out of them but the couple guys I know that do have triples or the rackmounts. Both are good amps imho but I don't think the dual is any better.

• Members

That's what I thought. Also, the clean should logically be louder. They would seem like a bargain at only $100 more with 50% more watts.

You'd think, but

1) I have never heard a Mesa DR clean break up unintentionally. Those amps are brutally loud. 50 watts is not that much more headroom (watts are logarithmic, not arithmetic - like decibels), btw.

2) The added circuitry for those two extra tubes, the added tranformer size/handling/stress, the added heat, and the added potential for component failure and interference all seem to dilute the actual tone. There is a reason why the cork-sniffers prefer the Singles. Personally, I can hear a bigger difference between the Triple and the Dual than between the Single and the Dual.

3. When the {censored} are you ever going to need 150 watts when even 50 watters are able to hang on almost any miked stage in America? Go with the sound, not some percieved need for massive power.

• Members

the 150w is not about being able to go louder. the amp just sounds alot tighter in general because of the unnecisarry amount of headroom. if your playing metal you want to get your amp pretty loud and not break up quickly. if hes considering buying a triple hes probably into metal and this is the sound hes going for.

believe me im not an advicate of mesa, the only mesa id ever consider owning is a rectoverb head. my best friend and band mate has a triple rect so i know all the ins and outs of that amp. its not buzzy like alot of you are reporting and its not overwhelmingly loud. my DSL50 keeps up with it in VFW type venues where we dont mic up

• Members

Originally posted by xbryanx

the 150w is not about being able to go louder. the amp just sounds alot tighter in general because of the unnecisarry amount of headroom. if your playing metal you want to get your amp pretty loud and not break up quickly. if hes considering buying a triple hes probably into metal and this is the sound hes going for.

believe me im not an advicate of mesa, the only mesa id ever consider owning is a rectoverb head. my best friend and band mate has a triple rect so i know all the ins and outs of that amp. its not buzzy like alot of you are reporting and its not overwhelmingly loud. my DSL50 keeps up with it in VFW type venues where we dont mic up

i refuse to believe that the triple is tighter than the dual. if anything, the dual breaks up earlier and sounds more outrageously metal right away.

• Members

I didn't know how to change channels (no footswitch) and neither did the salesman. He finally found the knob on the back and set it to "clean". We flipped the standby and eased up the gain and volume but there was no sound...except more hiss. Ditto with the other channels.

It did discourage me a lot and makes me wonder if they really want to sell Triples ...or just keep a couple of lemons around to help sell other amps.
:p:confused:

Triple's rule, they sound tighter than the Duals to me.

That extra power helps keep things from falling apart at higher volumes.

Headroom is good unless you are a blues or classic rock guy going for the power tube clipping.

• Members

Originally posted by DeathMonkey

Yuppers. Go Dual. The Triples just don't sound as good.

Horse{censored}! Ponymanure! Steamingdivots!

:mad:

Triple rectos sound totally better than the duals or singles. I once tried a dual recto and it wouldn't even turn on. How is that better?:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

Horse{censored}! Ponymanure! Steamingdivots!

:mad:

Triple rectos sound totally better than the duals or singles. I once tried a dual recto and it wouldn't even turn on. How is that better?
:rolleyes:

:D

Real men should have strong opinions!

• Members

They both sound good if you ask me, but they do sound different. Try em both, and decide for yourself which you like better. I found the difference more in the EQ voicing of the two amps. Mesa would {censored} if they knew they had dealers out there who didnt know how to switch channels on their amps. I recently became a dealer , and they actually come to your store and train you on the ins and outs of their amps, so if you run into a dealer who doesnt know about the Mesas, know that they are stupid , not uninformed.

• Members

Originally posted by DeathMonkey

Uh, so how do you know what a Dual sounds like?

:freak:

Well it's pretty obvious that the dual doesn't sound like anything, and the triples actually work.:confused:

Sorry, I'm just messing around.

They all sound good to me. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

Well it's pretty obvious that the dual doesn't sound like anything, and the triples actually work.
:confused:

Did you read the OP, lol?

I agree that it is a matter of preference. I had a Triple for a year and a half and I hated it. Everything people hate about Rectos seemed mangified 10x - flubby bass, fizzy highs, screetchy mids... Perhaps the Triple's power amp adds or allows TOO MUCH detail, not allowing the power tubes to "round off" the preamp signal.

I find that I almost always prefer the 100 watt version of any amp over either the 150 or 50 watters, because I get the best balance between headroom and power amp flavor for my taste.

Perhaps for me the Triple just sounds too much like a buzzy pre into a PA rather than a pre and a power amp working together.

• Members

Follow-up: I casually mentioned this incident to a Mesa service rep while talking to him long-distance about an amp repair. Evidently he reported it to someone in charge of distribution and also gave the other person my phone number. Today I got a call from the Guitar Center guy that deals with Mesa.

It seems that someone had turned the heads on without cabs and messed them up . They are repairing them and they offered to have me come in to try them or be drop-shipped a new head from somewhere else.

I am happy with this outcome and consider that all involved have done the best that they could, under the circumstances. (I have not decided what to do)

Archived