Roland Rhodes 660 - Buzzes as notes resolve...

Tredd Lightly

• Members

I just bought a Roland Rhodes Model 660 today on CL. It sounds AWESOME except for one thing. I hear a faint slightly distorting after buzz as the notes resolve lasting about 2-3 seconds. It's very faint but I can't record and would be reluctant to perform with it.

Any ideas on the cause? Or the fix?

Things I've already tried:

- I was sold with the wrong power supply (10v 1100mA). I bought the correct 9v 850 mA at GC but had to splice the plug on as the stock didn't fit correctly.

- It's not a cord or amp problem. I plugged in my headphones and it's still there.

Thanks!!!

• Members

LOL, I was just responding to this on the St.Louis Craigslist.

If you have to crank every volume and gain in the signal path to hear this sound then it's probably just the joys of early digital to analog converters. Do you have a direct-out recording of the sound you can share?

• Members

Yeah, faulty caps do happen. Especially as devices age (and if they've been presented with a less-than-spec-powersupply.) It's not that hard of a part to fix if you can solder. The problem comes with identifying the faulty cap and making triply sure that it's a proper replacement that meets or exceeds the original. How much did Winston want to do it?

Archived