Diezel Einstein INITIAL Review

branjispad

• Members

This amp is just :freak: I don't know how to explain it.

But I will try...

Where to start?

Well this amp 50w version has alot of balls. The resonance and bass knobs really do the trick. It is on par with the Uber. The EQ is AMAZING you can really feel the tone change drastically with small tweaks. This is not a low mid or high mid amp its...um...mid mid? lol The voicing is really linked to the gain structure which is , well :freak: Its like it totally breaths vintage but at the same time sounds hifi and fizzy. Most amps when they fizz out they lose all characteristics but this one keeps them. So what that gives you are tight rythm tone but at the same time it mushes it up. I dont mean that in a sloppy or spongy feel. i mean its like you are hearing a class A chugga mixed with a randall at the same time. I don't know how to explain it. It is different though.

And where I was just speaking of the 1st channel stage 3 it really softens up on the 2nd channel. so basically unlike most amps wher eyou can play brewtal metal on the lead channel this one you cant. the sound really rounds out to where you cant chugga chugga. you really dont need a pick for this channel. im not legato player but i didnt use a pick for a good 20 minutes on it last night. it is over the top smooth.

the amp has great dynamics, just dont expect it to be tight or snappy. like i said its not spongly its smooth or soft but yet aggressive at the same time :freak:

Sounds great at any volume. Defenietly a sound of its own.

Is it for me? I don't know this really isn't my style but I need something a bit different in my stable if i am going to have the uber and the splawn at both ends of the spectrum.

people say this is a vintage feeling amp which i have said it has some feel of but is much for brewwwwwwwwwwwwwwtal than the 80s metal they claim it can do. if it was tighter it could do numetal and beyond but thats not the voicing of this amp and maybe a boost would cure it.

if i was to put my amps in order of high to low mid voicing / also old school to new school tone i would do...

qr > mkIII (can be less modern than qr though) > uber

then the diezel is just from a different galaxy all together.

like i said its like seeing new colors that ive heard scientist talk about. where as we see all colors based from red blue and green there is a whole new spectrum to be seen. its that way with your ears and this amp. what you are used to hearing for so long is now brought to you in a whole new way.

ya i know :freak:

• Members

I have to say those tubes need to be burned in. I have had mine a month and it's really starting to sweeten up. I play thru a marshall vintage 30 slant cab and it really accents the mids. If anything this amp has too much mids but I just got a Stiletto Ace...pics coming tonight.....and they are the same amp with same modes but the difference is definite on tone....I'll post the pics and comparison later tonight.....you don't need to go much beyond 12 on the gain after that it flubs with humbuckers.

• Members

Also I will agree that it's smooth yet agressive....and when you turn it up....balls to the wall Iron Maiden live tone. It sounds just like the live Rio De Janiero cd. Also, your 50 watt will be a bit smoother than the 100... Diezels are totally different than any other amp I have tried. The more I play it the more I really, really really like it.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Owens

all the long reviews aside...do you like the amp or not.?

( what cab are you running it thru.?)

Yeah, hard to tell from this review. I'd like to try one though. On the other hand, since I'm happy with my rig, I should probably just not try any other amps ever again.

• Members

Originally posted by simbasa

I have to say those tubes need to be burned in. I have had mine a month and it's really starting to sweeten up. I play thru a marshall vintage 30 slant cab and it really accents the mids. If anything this amp has too much mids but I just got a Stiletto Ace...pics coming tonight.....and they are the same amp with same modes but the difference is definite on tone....I'll post the pics and comparison later tonight.....you don't need to go much beyond 12 on the gain after that it flubs with humbuckers.

i bought it used. i think the tubes are burned in a little too hot. the one glows super red the whole time (after a minute of playing) and i am getting ALOT of power tube break up. i am gonna check the bias. he sent me 4 sets of power tubes, el34, 6L6 and KT77s. I may try them all. im gonna have to try the 77s first with all the craze lately :cool:

i played it again for 15 min when i went home for lunch and i think that the power tube brek up is killing the rythms. the lead is like liquid sex though.

• Members

Originally posted by branjispad

i bought it used. i think the tubes are burned in a little too hot. the one glows super red the whole time (after a minute of playing) and i am getting ALOT of power tube break up. i am gonna check the bias. he sent me 4 sets of power tubes, el34, 6L6 and KT77s. I may try them all. im gonna have to try the 77s first with all the craze lately
:cool:

i played it again for 15 min when i went home for lunch and i think that the power tube brek up is killing the rythms. the lead is like liquid sex though.

PM Alex and ask him what he's using...

• Members

The Einstein seems to be a love em or hate em type amp. The VH4 is on my list to someday own. :)

If just one is glowing super red you may want to change it out pretty quick. Might be a bias issue or a bad tube. Probably the latter.

I dunno what the worst that could happen (blow a tube and a fuse, maybe? Possibly blow the transformers?) but personally I'd be careful to take care of a $$$ amp like that!

• Members

yeah it was a bad tube , i had expected the bias was a bit high because of the break up but the tube was bad. i put in some JJs KT77s and this thing is nothing short of amazing. it can really get uber like tones but smoother and you can play leads on it. i'm betting the 100w version could mimic an uberschall tone, and do different cleans! and medium gain! woot!

• Members

yeah it was a bad tube , i had expected the bias was a bit high because of the break up but the tube was bad. i put in some JJs KT77s and this thing is nothing short of amazing. it can really get uber like tones but smoother and you can play leads on it. i'm betting the 100w version could mimic an uberschall tone, and do different cleans! and medium gain! woot!

Uber like tones.....:love:

Good you caught that tube!!!

• Members

I was thinking of putting those tubes in the Einy. It certainly is a great amp but not for everyone. I don't think it sounds like an Uber at all. That would be the Herbert's realm.

• Members

clips:idea:

• Members

Originally posted by Sick Michael

Pretty much how we reacted at the first Euro ampfest. Olaf set it up, Big hair hit some power chords and the rest of us were just .....
:freak:
.....as our faces melted...

LOL!

nothing beats melted faces and Mr Diezel listening to our ideas on the voicing,and doing some mods there and then to the proto!:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Sick Michael

Pretty much how we reacted at the first Euro ampfest. Olaf set it up, Big hair hit some power chords and the rest of us were just .....
.....as our faces melted...

LOL

About the "vintage" thing: Mode 2 channel 1 - thats where you can get those vintage sounds. The rest is Diezel pureness of course.

• Members

This amp is just
I don't know how to explain it.

And where I was just speaking of the 1st channel stage 3 it really softens up on the 2nd channel. so basically unlike most amps wher eyou can play brewtal metal on the lead channel this one you cant. the sound really rounds out to where you cant chugga chugga. you really dont need a pick for this channel. im not legato player but i didnt use a pick for a good 20 minutes on it last night. it is over the top smooth.

the amp has great dynamics, just dont expect it to be tight or snappy. like i said its not spongly its smooth or soft but yet aggressive at the same time

Einstein wasn't desinged to be a "brewtal metal" amp, nor was it created with "chugga, chugga, chugga," rhythms in mind either. I'm not sure where you got this impression, but you are way off base. It's not built for that sort of music.

Einstein was deisnged to have a more vintage voicing and feel. It was desinged to have a spongier, less agressive tone, feel, and response as compared to a Herbert or VH4. Einstein's forte is classic rock.

Would you try to use a Vox AC30 to play Black Metal? Use the right tool for the job. If you're into "brewtal metal" or you need tight, agressive bass for palm muted rhythms, try a Herbert. The Herbert was desinged with these tones in mind... not the Einstein.

• Members

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz

Einstein wasn't desinged to be a "brewtal metal" amp, nor was it created with "chugga, chugga, chugga," rhythms in mind either. I'm not sure where you got this impression, but you are way off base. It's not built for that sort of music.

Einstein was deisnged to have a more vintage voicing and feel. It was desinged to have a spongier, less agressive tone, feel, and response as compared to a Herbert or VH4. Einstein's forte is classic rock.

Would you try to use a Vox AC30 to play Black Metal? Use the right tool for the job. If you're into "brewtal metal" or you need tight, agressive bass for palm muted rhythms, try a Herbert. The Herbert was desinged with these tones in mind... not the Einstein.

So is it more like a Marshall in terms of feel then? I've always felt that Marshalls had a sort of "halfway house" feel to them - not too loose, not too tight. Even though some of them are aggressive they're not supertight in the feel department like some VHTs are for example.

• Members

say what you will but i have learned to dial in a tone that is damn near close to my uberschall.

if you search the forums you will see 3 uber owners who made the switch. if it was so far different from BREW{censored}INTAL (lol) metal to classic rock I HIGHLY DOUBT they would have welcomed this thing with open arms.

My uber settings are higher voiced though with the mids at 2 and the presence about 2. the gain is on maybe 10, 11 at the most. the uber can be less tight than alot of amps but it is spongy not smooth. so it can be harder to play leads on.

the KT77s really give this thing a lower mid grind and balls in the bass and it can ALMOST do EVERYTHING. an eq in the loop i'm anxious to see if it will do everything. It covers more bases than the XTC does and i'm sure thats why Alex made the switch.

• Members

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz

+1. Almost every negative review of the amp comes from someone saying it isn't "Heavy" or "Tight" enough for Metal. It wasn't made for that. It's got amazing clean, mid-gain and 80's metal tones with a fat/sweet lead tone on Channel 2. If those are the tones your after then you won't find a better amp to cover all the bases imo. If you want "brewtal" then get a Rectifier and join the masses.

Archived