Classic Lead 80's for Metal??

Nastyn8

• Members

How do Classic Lead 80's sound in high gain riffing applications?? I'm thinking about getting an avatar cab possibly either with Hellatone 60l's or a hellatone and 1 CL80. I heard a clip of a CL80 and It seems to be nice and smooth, as well as balanced.

Tell me what you guys think

Thanks

• Members

I used CL-80's in my THD 2x12 with the Bogner Uberschall and it sounded great to me. Very open sounding with a smooth freq. response and handled the low end just fine.

Although it migh not be the best speaker for certain types of metal. It all depends on what style you're looking for.

• Members

I'm looking for something that is clear, maybe slightly darker, somewhat smooth, balanced, and has a clear punchy low end.

Vintage 30's, from what I've heard, don't really fufill the smooth and balanced requirements (spikey highs/mids)

I play stuff like killswitch engage / All that remains

• Members

Originally posted by Nastyn8

I'm looking for something that is clear, maybe slightly darker, somewhat smooth, balanced, and has a clear punchy low end.

Vintage 30's, from what I've heard, don't really fufill the smooth and balanced requirements (spikey highs/mids)

A combination of CL-80 and another type of speaker...maybe a Greenback, Vintage 30, or G12T-75 might do the trick.

CL-80's seem to be what you are looking for. However, they tend to lose their low-end punch as you move away from the cab. And all you're left with is the mids and highs...which may sound too crunchy and smooth for some people.

• Members

you should really like them - make sure you are putting some serious power through them though - they like to be pushed.

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

did you ever even put the things in?? lol

Keep meaning to. But my 2x12 stays on the trailer...the only time it's out, is when it's onstage. So, on our 2-nighters, I continually plan to swing by the club and pop them in on a Sat. afternoon... but so far.....

I've always been too hung-over.

:mad:

They've been rolling around in my trunk for a month, along with 7 cans of Natty.

• Members

Originally posted by squealie

Keep meaning to. But my 2x12 stays on the trailer...the only time it's out, is when it's onstage. So, on our 2-nighters, I continually plan to swing by the club and pop them in on a Sat. afternoon... but so far.....

I've always been too hung-over.

:mad:

They've been rolling around in my trunk for a month, along with 7 cans of Natty.

sounds like you have a bit of a problem there, buddy

lol

• Members

so in summary you guys think they fit the bill, but they don't project bass very well? Are they as tight as Vintage 30's?

Thanks for the responses guys

I have 2 cabs with CL-80's and 1 with V30's. (4X12's) The CL-80's are cleaner and clearer sounding with a brighter bottom end and the upper mids are much less harsh or they don't have that bite/crunch as much. Still bright on the top. They have to be loud to sound good. The V30's sound warmer on the bottom end and have a more of a vintage voice I guess you could say... I think the CL-80's are tighter. Very small differences playing them side by side but it's there (you really have to listen). IMO.

Edit, I think every cab you start backing up from the bass is less aparent. I can't tell the difference between my cabs.

• Members

Originally posted by jason@amps

I have 2 cabs with CL-80's and 1 with V30's. (4X12's) The CL-80's are cleaner and clearer sounding with a brighter bottom end and the upper mids are much less harsh or they don't have that bite/crunch as much. Still bright on the top. They have to be loud to sound good. The V30's sound warmer on the bottom end and have a more of a vintage voice I guess you could say... I think the CL-80's are tighter. Very small differences playing them side by side but it's there (you really have to listen). IMO.

Edit, I think every cab you start backing up from the bass is less aparent. I can't tell the difference between my cabs.

Yeah, the cab will have a bigger effect on bass response. But, I found that, in the same cab, the CL-80's were much more directional in terms of how they sound depending on where you are in relation to the cab than other speakers.

• Members

How do Classic Lead 80's sound in high gain riffing applications?? I'm thinking about getting an avatar cab possibly either with Hellatone 60l's or a hellatone and 1 CL80. I heard a clip of a CL80 and It seems to be nice and smooth, as well as balanced.

Tell me what you guys think

Thanks

I like the CL80 mixed with another speaker. It sounds great with Greenbacks, V30s or G12H-30s.

I have a 412 that I used to run 2 CL80s and 2 Hellatone 60Ls and it sounded HUGE. Another member on this board, MikeyD-gtr has a cab loaded like this, and I heard his Splawn Promod with that combination, and it was also huge sounding. I don't think you can go wrong with either speaker, but combining them fills in spaces where the other one leaves off.

• Members

so is it worth a shot to have avatar build me a closed back with a helltone 60l and a classic Lead 80, or should i try two hellatones?

I actually like the tone I get from my g-flex, I just wish it was a bit thicker souding while still retaining its tightness.

If anyone has tried an avatar cabinet and a g-flex, please chime in on the tonal differences. I'm thinking about just ordering one from avatarspeakers.com and comparing it to my g-flex. Then I'll either send the Avatar back or sell the G-flex if I like the Avatar better.

• Members

I have a 4X12 loaded with CL80's and it sounds Huge with my Marshall 2203.

Like others have said, they do need to be pushed to get 'em goin'.

Mine were very stiff sounding when new and they have only just started to loosen up and smoooth out in the last month.

• 14 years later...
  • Members

I use a cl 80 for thrash and groove metal... I use parallel axis and dimebuckers, pretty hot on tbe top end, randall amps and a 10 band eq... it tames all the harsh tones from the pickups and the amps, I get a lick ass rithm sound with a ton of punch and just the right amount of treble and don't even go to the neck pickup for solos... my hearing is really sensitive and i had to use the neck pickup with bearly any treble, now i play with more treble and have no problem whem playing lead... this speaker is a milion times better than an eq if you have sensitive ears, besides that i never got soo mutch punch from any other speaker. It's great when played loud and can handle a ton of gain and still slound defined.