Fender Hot Rod Deville vs Blues Deville? 410 vs. 212?

vifitflag909

• Members

Can someone give me a somewhat detailed desciption of the differences in sound between the Hot Rod Deville vs. the Blues Deville, other than the obvious lack of a "more drive" in the Blues (which many have said is almost useless anyway.)

AND the differences in sound between the 212 and 410 versions? Which version do you prefer? Do they get muddy when using a pedal for metal? I've heard that but I'd like to get opinions from other people.

I know they're pretty popular amps, so can someone help me out?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I recently bought my 2nd DeVille. My first was one of the original Blues DeVilles, this 2nd one is a Hot Rod version. Both 4x10.

As I recollect, my first one seemed like it had more bottom end than the new Hot Rod version. I play them on an amp stand and if they were sitting on the floor the new one might have more bass, but I played the "regular" one on a stand too and it would put out more low end. What makes me notice the difference is I use a Digitech Whammy in the octave doubler mode, playing an octave below the picked string. The regular DeVille brought out the doubled note a lot more.

When I bought both of the amps I also tried the 2x12 versions. I like the 4x10 because it seemed to get that SRV sound better. The mids and highs stood out more (as you'd expect in a smaller speaker). And with 4 of the 10's, it moves a lot of air.

The distortion on these amps still sounds like a bright clean Fender distorting - it won't get a Marshall sound no matter what you try. You can use a pedal to get closer to a Marshall.

I don't use the distortion on the amp at all, because I have a JCM 2000 TSL 100 that I A/B to, and I use the Marshall to get the Marshall sound. Note that the Marshall, while decent, doesn't get me the Fender sound. And I like the Fender sound.

I also tried the DeLuxe - both of the DeVille's I've had are very loud. But the DeLuxe didn't seem to have the same punch or responsiveness.

Hope this helps!

Archived