Sign in to follow this  
Mongoose64p

Why is the Marshall MG100HDFX 1/2 stack hated so much..........

Why is the Marshall MG100HDFX 1/2 stack hated so much? My friend has one and he likes it, and iv seen some people playing though them in vids, just a guitar and the amp and it sounded good, so why is it hated to much by all u guys? is it cause its SS and not tube?? or what, i was just wondering........ mayeb someone can explain it to me

well 2 big reasons come to mind:

- The MG series is notoriously unreliable, including the MG100 half stack. SS amps are supposed to be at least as reliable as tube amps. The MGs always suffer from crappy input and speaker jacks, fan problems, etc. the list goes on...

- It may sound good at first, but sit it beside a good tube amp, and it will sound like shit, that is if it isnt being drowned out by the tube amp. My 80watt traynor tube amp can destroy the MG100 stack in both tone and volume with the mast vol. knob at 5.

hey so then i see fro liek $35 i can buy a traynor 40watt??

is that just as loud/louder than teh marshall??

how dose it sound??

also i play alt rokc ala the vines

so how would that soudn on it, can it take to pedlas nicely if i dont like teh in amp dist??

I dunno, I had an mg 250 and thought it sounded pretty good for a ss amp. It did'nt sound like a tube amp but it still sounded good. Even when I cranked the clean channel into od it sounded decent.

Eventually, as you develope a taste for tone you will grow out of an amp like the mg series.

Originally posted by vancleaf

Eventually, as you develope a taste for tone you will grow out of an amp like the mg series.

Bingo.

People may like it now, but ask them again in 5 years.

The other guitarist in my band plays through a MG100HDFX full stack and a Crate 2x12 at the same time to try to keep up with my Dual Rectifier.

I'm bringing my 2x12 next practice. :o

Originally posted by AMSnell

it sounds crap, basically.

its the half stack all the 16 year olds buy when they cant afford a real amp.
:)

+1

Originally posted by Highgrade

Yea but can you blow 100W out of it?

Depends on the size of the tin of beans

Originally posted by blargh

Because it sounds like crusty poop to anyone with even the most basic idea of good tone.

In all fairness, everything sounded great when you first started

Originally posted by ThrashmetalErik

Cause it sounds like my ass farting into the whole of an acoustic thus creating distortion?
:D

I dunno my freind has one, its just my opinion, i dont like SS anything.

Pods are rather good though. as is the vetta

Originally posted by Drago

Pods are rather good though. as is the vetta

I bought a pOD 2.0 when i was just starting out and liked it alot i pushed it out of some really old crate combo with a nice reverb tank but basically shit. For a SS amp the vetta is cool, but modeling is to complex for my simple country brain, i like simple amps with simple controls and not shit you have to fuck with. The spider II amps are crap though.

Originally posted by Random Hero

When I first started I had a shitty 10w practice amp, and played a Zoom 505II into it. I thought my tone sounded JUST like Metallica.

My zoom 707 was lush aswell, i even used my 707 through an all tube marshall live one time coz i thought it sounded so good

:cry:

Originally posted by ThrashmetalErik

I bought a pOD 2.0 when i was just starting out and liked it alot i pushed it out of some really old crate combo with a nice reverb tank but basically shit. For a SS amp the vetta is cool, but modeling is to complex for my simple country brain, i like simple amps with simple controls and not shit you have to fuck with. The spider II amps are crap though.

I actually managed to get a good usable tone out of a spider 2 when i worked at the guitar store.

Took a few hours! but keep the bass treble and gain down and theres some fairly good tone to be had.

The flextone is better though, and i agree on simple settings, analogue is better.

Originally posted by Drago

I actually managed to get a good usable tone out of a spider 2 when i worked at the guitar store.

Took a few hours! but keep the bass treble and gain down and theres some fairly good tone to be had.

The flextone is better though, and i agree on simple settings, analogue is better.

I get OK tone from my Spider II, but it's only for teaching, so... meh.

I know of a guy who used a Korg Toneworks into his Marshall DSL once. He preferred the Korg's dirty tones. :freak: