KORG KRONOS

mildbill

• Members

I want a ROMpler, that, like the Virus TI, loads single programs in multi mode while keeping all effects (reverb, delay, chorus, EQ, phaser, distortion) intact.

I would be happy with eight parts.

I don't care about onboard sequencing or sampling, I have a computer that does that.

Basically, I want a Virus TI that utilizes the M3 or Motif waveform library.

RichF, please send my request to the guys upstairs.
:)

That would be cool, but also with a nice built-in VA or VA expansion like the Radias Board. Adding new modes of synthesis like additive and FM would be cool. Honestly the M3 does pretty much everything I want already and just has extras that I don't use much like the sequencer. The M3 does have a few foibles that bug me like its form/size and display. I would be fine with a rack mount / desk top unit that takes up a couple more rack spaces in order to fit into a standard 19" rack and also a larger touch screen. From a display point of view the touch panel on the M3 could use some major improvements in terms of brightness and color uniformity. Note that I am biased and finicky due to my long time place of work (Display and Graphics business laboratory at 3M).

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I found this on wikileaks!!

Press Release

Korg, USA

January 16, 2011

Korg Kronos represents the newest evolution to empower your creative spirit, bring your music to life and ensure your always in tune and on time. Introducing Kronos. Time + Tuning, evolved. The Kronos, Korg's flagship instrument is more than a tuner and metronome, it's Kronos.

Cables between the United States, Germany and Great Britain, referred to the Kronos as recycled technology stolen from the West by "those over-achieving Asians".

Plans were discussed to attack Korg headquarters, seize the prototype and rebrand it.

President George Bush and his evil empire were said to suggest the attack plan. Barrack Obama later agreed to sign off and approve attack plans.

Former President Jimmy Carter, was not informed because it wasn't his idea and he hates all former Presidents and thinks none are or were better than he.

In it's new incarnation, it will have the ability to instantly create a Top 10 song in most genres, plus the inclusion of auto-tune is seen as one of it's most important features.

A brand new feature, Generic Song Constructor will allow the user to load Generic music for most popular genres, a feature which is seen as necessary for every modern music production facility.

Some of the libraries available are:

Disney...Generic Movie Soundtracks

Disney...Generic TV soundtracks

Disney...Generic backtracks from Generic singers who star in a Disney TV show

Dr Cool..Generic hip hop

Sony.....Generic pop

The Disney sets include a DVD showing the musician how to dress, act, and sing like a generic Disney TV/Movie Star

In other news..Wikleak founder Julian Assange was quoted as saying " I thought I had a prophylactic on".

• Members

''Only Cronus was willing to do the deed, so Gaia gave him the sickle and placed him in ambush. When Uranus met with Gaia, Cronus attacked him with the sickle castrating him and casting his testicles into the sea.''

Maybe there is some truth to this, hinting at a new Korg VA, all front-panel controls? or that's part of it? But, you know, a GAIA killer? Not much, but it's a thought. I'm still pulling for the V-synth killa :love:

• Members
Korg Kronos represents the newest evolution to empower your creative spirit, bring your music to life and ensure your always in tune and on time. Introducing Kronos. Time + Tuning, evolved. The Kronos, Korg's flagship instrument is more than a tuner and metronome, it's Kronos.

Awww... Remember, most press release writers never get the your/you're spelling wrong.

• Members

Korg Realtime Oscillator Navigation Operating System

Hi Bernard,

You're speculation could be close to the target here....Korg is VERY fond of acronyms AND Korg's OASYS platform (2005?) has so much untapped potential in today's synth marketplace.

While some of the technology filtered through to the M3 EDS (including KARMA) and the Radius (MMT -Multi Modeling Technology) synth engine, there's so much more potential for a new implementation based on new hardware and a rework of the OASYS open operating architecture & synths as well plug-ins from the Korg Legacy soft synth collections.

While it's not too far off to dream about another Korg super synth like this...the reality in this economic environment will likely fall short of a dream synth and into the category of an updated M3 (from 2007?) for the next generation Korg Workstation. To keep up with the competition, they'll likely consider adding things like FLASH, time-stretching, even larger ROM w/acoustic sample libraries plus the options to add-in a synth module like a next gen Radius EXB w/vocoding and the ability to leverage external device apps, control, display via iPods/iPads...this all would be good but overall would do nothing that would change the status quo.

Anyway, for further giggles & speculation creation sake.. here's my version for the KRONOS acronym: KORG REALTIME OPEN NETWORKING OPERATING & SYNTHESIS.

...on 2nd thought, maybe this is just a new Korg Arranger keyboard that corrects all of our sloppy timing by slapping our wrists with an extending metallic rod!

Regards,

Cybersoniq

• Members

Hi Bernard,

You're speculation could be close to the target here....Korg is VERY fond of acronyms AND Korg's OASYS platform (2005?) has so much untapped potential in today's synth marketplace.

While some of the technology filtered through to the M3 EDS (including KARMA) and the Radius (MMT -Multi Modeling Technology) synth engine, there's so much more potential for a new implementation based on new hardware and a rework of the OASYS open operating architecture & synths as well plug-ins from the Korg Legacy soft synth collections.

While it's not too far off to dream about another Korg super synth like this...the reality in this economic environment will likely fall short of a dream synth and into the category of an updated M3 (from 2007?) for the next generation Korg Workstation. To keep up with the competition, they'll likely consider adding things like FLASH, time-stretching, even larger ROM w/acoustic sample libraries plus the options to add-in a synth module like a next gen Radius EXB w/vocoding and the ability to leverage external device apps, control, display via iPods/iPads...this all would be good but overall would do nothing that would change the status quo.

Anyway, for further giggles & speculation creation sake.. here's my version for the KRONOS acronym: KORG REALTIME OPEN NETWORKING OPERATING & SYNTHESIS.

...on 2nd thought, maybe this is just a new Korg Arranger keyboard that corrects all of our sloppy timing by slapping our wrists with an extending metallic rod!

Regards,

Cybersoniq

LOL yes I recently watched a programme on chocolate bunny production line and one of the final phases is a large flat metal rule that bashes the backs of the molds to drop the bunnies out. Korg could set it for a good slap or a bunny depending on performance...

Seriously I don't have a clue beyond what I have said other than to note that the Kronos video sounds like a wavestation or similar time based evolving synth. That does not rule out a new O or new generation of M's but it is wait and see now.

I can see some Korg users have wished for a more open system (3rd party). I suspect Korg will be thinking of their mission and vision more to work on musical instruments than to dive in to the obscurity of hooking up to PC and 3rd party software... I think they will keep doing it their way way into the future. I could be wrong..

Now if the ''9'' turns in to clue ''8'' and so on we will have to start guessing again.

:wave:

• Members

Do any of them do a passable job with that task?

I've never had any of them.

:idk:

Great question, I never know if it is what audio will sound like or a limit of the technology Roland used at the time, either way I just don't dig it too much.. personal choice, but if someone did something similar that sounds good I would love such a synth...

• Members

I was thinking along the lines of 'sample one note of a piano, loop it, and then have the algorithm transpose it across the full range'.

Not sure if that's what the Roland stuff can do. And if it does, I'm wondering how many unwanted artifacts show up.

All Rolands with sampling and a standard synth engine do that (Fantom's, MV's and some of the old samplers etc). The V synth is about elastic audio going beyond replay into stretch etc but you can do that a bit in a long winded way with the normal Roland sampler engines

• Members

The piano sample/patch on my MV sounds very good on all notes.. don't hear any sample issues but they are uncompressed it may not be exactly the same with the Fantom ROM and I don't know if the Fantom's limit samples on user import, as far as I know no mention of such a limit so it should be the same for user samples.

• Members

The EP on my Sonar VS loads samples for every note. It's so rich in sound I think I would have to kill it down some how if I needed an EP in a mix. Fortunately I do not need any of the Sonar stuff, main reason to get a VS100 was not related to the software. Such large samples would burn up project RAM in the MV and Fantom, so they use note mapping on the hardware to manage storage...

• Members

Caveat Roland may load each compressed ROM sample per note on the Fantom and some of there other samplers may also differ. I can only really say what I see on the MV and Sonar and what I have read about on the Fantom's user sampling

• Members

Hmmm.. maybe it's an Electribe mixed with a Kaoss Pad (KP3) mixed with a Kaossilator adding a tuner and a metronome. Tack on a 2 octave micro-key keyboard, a washboard and a tambourine on a stick and we have it. Hurry, someone photoshop this thing up. :)

• Members

I think we're talking about different concepts here. But never mind. No need to run it into the ground.
:lol:

Have you ever done your own multi-sampling?

Never had too but I think your suggesting layers, 4 available on MV and Fantom's (in stereo if needed)...

Archived