How's the Korg N5EX?

Stabby

• Members

I want an NX5r module. I'll pick one up one of these days.

I had an N-364. I traded it because the back-lighting went out from the display.

The N-series sounds are definitely worth having

I didn't notice anything special about the Rhodes Hammond patches.

But I didn't use them that much. But a lot of the synth sounds were great.

Woodwinds were very good too.

You could do a lot worse for a basic bread & butter synth.

• Members

I have the NS5R (N5 rack) and have bought the N1R recently (same ROM content and presets as the N5EX), but haven't received it yet.

But the difference between the two (and between the N5 and N5EX) is only that the expanded ROM contains a new piano sample (the same as the Trinity, I'm told) and some electric pianos. Everything else is the same. So unless you are looking to make this your main piano sound, just go with the regular N5.

(to clarify why I bought the N1R - the two racks are very different. N1R has arpeggiator and more knobs for editing)

• Members

I have the NS5R (N5 rack) and have bought the N1R recently (same ROM content and presets as the N5EX), but haven't received it yet.

But the difference between the two (and between the N5 and N5EX) is only that the expanded ROM contains a new piano sample (the same as the Trinity, I'm told) and some electric pianos. Everything else is the same. So unless you are looking to make this your main piano sound, just go with the regular N5.

(to clarify why I bought the N1R - the two racks are very different. N1R has arpeggiator and more knobs for editing)

Thanks! Are the electric pianos and Hammonds on the N5 any good? I'm not sure if the extra samples on the N5EX are worth an extra

• Members

"From today's perspective" is the type of statement that implies that synth engines are getting better as the years go by. I find a lot of people who would disagree with that. While the Oasys/M3 engine is a very fine sounding engine, I prefer AI2 synths to Tritons - they just have a more "open sound" to me. Plus, a lot of people seem to prefer older Rolands to the newer Fantoms for "warmth", and the JD990 for example is renowed for giving you an extremely pristine, high quality sound that is as good as anything Roland has put out ever since, if not better.

So I respectfully disagree with that statement :) (not to mention that 2 months ago you were singing the praises of AI2 while now you bash on Korg just because you got a different synth as your main synth. Fair weather fan?)

• Members

I cant really say that N5EX is the board where you can rely on good hammond and rhodes patches...there are a few decent jazz organs and a nice distorted patch in prg bank and even extensive editing wont really get you too far because samples are nothing to write home about...from my perspective Id say those sounds are most dated and no FX can fix them.

Keybed is a bit weird, never quite got used to it and i own mine for about 6 years now.

However, all that said, the board excels at pads and strings and for that reason it was part of my live rig for years despite all the other shortcomings and she still gets an occasional spin in the studio.

All in all, its a decent deal for now, if you plan to get more into playing I recommend an upgrade as soon as circumstances allow because playing N5 as a main board can be PITA ( only 2 MFX among other things ), as a supporting board for a workstation of newer generation ( i paired mine with triton pro often, later with pc3 ) its very useful as lush AI2 pads complement newer boards rather nice.

If you do get it there are still several resources online with a nice collection of very useful patches.

• Members

(not to mention that 2 months ago you were singing the praises of AI2 while now you bash on Korg just because you got a different synth as your main synth. Fair weather fan?)

Not really. It's just that PC3K is THAT much of a quantum leap from my former AI2 board that it's unbelievable (I always felt too limited with 2 FX on my X5D, it sucked for lots of things that I wanted to do live... not to mention I didn't have portamento in there, and yeah I had polyphony drains on quite a few places... that's not happening on the Kurz now). :) So yeah, I'm pretty much in awe, and Korg, while indeed FUN to have and certainly not a bad sounding board, it's not as complete or awesome as what I got with PC3K8. But I can tell you one thing, I do miss the BigStrings patch :p

• Members

I have also an offer of N5EX for 220 Euros, and N5 for 200 Euros.

They have very impressive list of presets covering many many synth sounds - which I need more than acoustic emulations.

The problem is, I can not seat an hour or two to try them. Does anyone has any demo filled with N5(ex) synth sounds?

Btw, is the difference to 01W sound quality really so different?

I disliked X50 for many reasons (many useless non-melodic sound, bad quality of materials, sort of disliked it), will I like N5(ex) more?

• Members

I have also an offer of N5EX for 220 Euros, and N5 for 200 Euros.

They have very impressive list of presets covering many many synth sounds - which I need more than acoustic emulations.

The problem is, I can not seat an hour or two to try them. Does anyone has any demo filled with N5(ex) synth sounds?

Btw, is the difference to 01W sound quality really so different?

I disliked X50 for many reasons (many useless non-melodic sound, bad quality of materials, sort of disliked it), will I like N5(ex) more?

By all means take an EX, 18MB ROM, resonant filter too name a few reasons.

There are many demos available on youtube, so take a look.

• Members

I cant really say that N5EX is the board where you can rely on good hammond and rhodes patches...there are a few decent jazz organs and a nice distorted patch in prg bank and even extensive editing wont really get you too far because samples are nothing to write home about...from my perspective Id say those sounds are most dated and no FX can fix them.

Isn't the whole purpose of having a Hammond sound, to sound dated? ;)

But I see your point. For EPs and organs, it is going to suck compared to a Motif or Electro, especially if you are playing solo. But in a mix along with other instruments, I think the EPs and organs actually sound fine. Maybe I am not that picky with those sounds.

• Members

Well the point is to sound like a `63 Hammond, not a `95 Korg :D

Actually while reading this thread I got an idea to take it out for a gig on Saturday, I have some cheesy space synth solo stuff to pull off as an interlude so I just might use that fluffy AI2 pad goodness.

• Members

Had the N5EX as my 2nd-tier 'board back in the wedding band days. At times I really miss it. King of realism for Rhodes and Hammond? Definately not. More than cuts the mustard in a cover band? Certainly. And a great collection of synth sounds. I still miss "Moonrise" big-time!

Truth be told, Id rather have the N5EX back than the M50, which I just god rid of.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

It’s 2020 and I’m holding on to my N5EX.  I’m an electric piano lover of FM bell/metallic style tines.  My equipment consists of a Yamaha DX7S, Roland MKS-20, Korg 01RW and a Yamaha MX61 which I’m sure many can agree can be mixed and layered for amazing electric pianos.  Well, I discovered how to program and sculpt the waveforms on the N5EX to get me  results that blow away the mediocre factory presets and using L/R panning and volume control for each waveform to bring the sounds to life.  The N5EX is all I need and has taken the place of all my other equipment.  I found a way to make my N5EX sound similar to stellar plug ins like today’s RHODES AFFAIR, MKSensation etc.  Not bad for 1990’s technology 

• 6 months later...
  • Members
On 9/12/2020 at 5:33 PM, Yamahadx7s said:

It’s 2020 and I’m holding on to my N5EX.  I’m an electric piano lover of FM bell/metallic style tines.  My equipment consists of a Yamaha DX7S, Roland MKS-20, Korg 01RW and a Yamaha MX61 which I’m sure many can agree can be mixed and layered for amazing electric pianos.  Well, I discovered how to program and sculpt the waveforms on the N5EX to get me  results that blow away the mediocre factory presets and using L/R panning and volume control for each waveform to bring the sounds to life.  The N5EX is all I need and has taken the place of all my other equipment.  I found a way to make my N5EX sound similar to stellar plug ins like today’s RHODES AFFAIR, MKSensation etc.  Not bad for 1990’s technology 

I would really like to get in touch with you as I am about to get a korg n5ex and will need help with the patches.... Schulzdottwelve@gmail.com