Hotrod Deluxe?

blackpig

• Members

I'm thinking of buying a Hotrod Deluxe. Has anyone got one of these and do you like it? Is it reliable? I had a play of one with my Strat (Gold Lace Sensors) and like the tone at low volume but I couldn't crank it because everyone in the shop started whining, so it's plenty loud. Made in Mexico I think. I've only ever had SS amps up to now.

• Members

You are going to get alot of different opinions on this one. I have one and use it to gig with in my band which plays, blues, R&B, rock and funk. MY buddy also uses one is his blues band (stock). I really like it and I have had several great amps, Fender 68 Super reverb, mesa boogie Lonestar, Marshall, It is a great amp for the price. I used mine stock for the first year, then added an eminence Patriot series Swamp thang Speaker and couldn't be happier at this time. Are there better amps out there? Sure there are! but for the price I think it is a great amp! On this forum alot of people are going to recommend the Paevey Classic amps series. These are also nice amps for the cash.

• Members

Originally posted by -todgemistro-

I dont think they are known for their reliability. Mines been fine but the plastic jacks suck, easily replaced though, I've just never got round to it. Their overdrive channel is horrible imho, but I love the clean.

I Forgot to mention, this is also a common quote around here. I personally don't have a problem with the drive channel, guess it depends what tone you are going after. It won't do heavier metal type music that well IMHO but is great for what I use it for.

• Members

Originally posted by -todgemistro-

Their overdrive channel is horrible imho, but I love the clean.

There was a site I once saw, that was dedicated to the HRD, and contained all sorts of mods/upgrades --- several of these were geared towards improving the overdrive channel.

-Attila

• Members

Yeah I think its ok for some stuff and sounds ok boosted, but its a bit boring sounding for my taste, it doesnt really stand out. I was gonna do a load of mods to it as found on that site but I dont think its really worth it. Anyway, I prefer the british-style sound for overdrive/distortion.

• Members

I was going to go with a Hiwatt combo but it's twice the price. I won't be using the overdrive channel much anyway - I have a couple of nice vintage pedals for distortion and there's a loop for delay effects. I'm going to try and get my hands on an old tape delay like a Copicat.

• Members

Originally posted by Sadowsky13

Sorry for my ignorance but's what does that work out to in canadian Dollars?? I got mine for 550$ Canadian. Are we talking euros here or British pounds because then it would seem a little expensive, but I don't know what imported gear goes for where you are??

{censored}! It works out at over $1400 Canadian! I'm in Ireland and everything is stupidly expensive here anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by blackpig

{censored}! It works out at over $1400 Canadian! I'm in Ireland and everything is stupidly expensive here anyway.

WOW!!! For under 1000 Canadian I could get a fender Deluxe Reverb. I am assuming that marshalls and Vox are probably a little bit less there?? Are there not any of them in your price range that you like??

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hey blackpig,

I have the U.S. made version of my formerly stock Hot Rod Deluxe. I found the amp to be quite reliable under gigging conditions. The Hot Rod Deluxe has a decent clean sound, but the drive/more drive sucks, the bass control is overly bassy, the master volume (drive/more drive channel) & reverb control is sensitive and it has cheap input jacks. If you do get the Hot Rod Deluxe amp, I recommend the Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville mod by Omega Amps:

http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

I have a US made Hot Rod Deluxe with the Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe mod installed and it's an absolutely killer amps. Blackface cleans in clean channel, fat, brown sound in the drive/more channel. Lots of bloom & sustain in the drive/more drive channel. I also had Jim Price install the Cliff/Re-An input jacks. Better than any of the mods posted on Justin Holton's Unofficial Hot Rod Deluxe website. That being said, I did do the R103 mod which improved the range of the reverb so it wasn't so sensitive when you turn it between 1 through 3.

Guitar George

• Members

I posted this in a thread about them yesterday:

Replace the preamp tubes with either 5751's or 12at7's. It will greatly smooth out the OD. Svetlana 6l6's sound great in the power section and have your tech bias it slightly hot.

Big one.....if you haven't already, REPLACE THE SUCK ASS, FARTY SPEAKER that it comes with. Replacing the speaker with something better will work wonders with that amp.

I used to own one about six years ago and all the things I mentioned above help quite a bit. The speaker is the MAIN thing as the stock Eminence it comes with is one of the crappiest speakers I've ever heard in my life.

• Members

I posted this in a thread about them yesterday:

I used to own one about six years ago and all the things I mentioned above help quite a bit. The speaker is the MAIN thing as the stock Eminence it comes with is one of the crappiest speakers I've ever heard in my life.

Hey TU BE,

I have to agree with you that the Eminence Legend 125 is one of the worst speakers I've heard and I'm used to using EV12L's or Celestion G-12K 85 speakers. I replaced mine with the Eminence Cannabis Rex. I would recommend either the Eminence Cannabis Rex or the Tone Tubby 12" Alnico speakers. Hempcone speakers sound great on Fender amps.

Guitar George

Archived