anyone owns / owned a yamaha EX7?

Saturday

• Members

this thing.

i tried it yesterday and i liked it. i will pull the trigger on it today. i have a yamaha an1x, and it sounded - to my ears - like a souped-up an1x with workstation capabilities. the sounds were very good. the pianos and organs were not super realistic but pretty usable in live situations.

the only con for now it's that is godamnn heavy and big. but the price is reasonable and i can sell my an1x and almost cover the costs for this synth.

i don't know how hard could be to program. need to setup some basic synth patches, nothing too advanced. anyone had some experience with it? also, how about those programs for software editing, like midiquest?

thanks!

• Members

I've own my EX7 and it's one of my favorite synths I've owned. Certainly not as feature rich as a modern workstation but it's one of the best sounding digital synths I've ever owned. It has a 'warm' character to it that you just can't replicate with a Motif, Triton, Fantom. Programming is deep and a challenge but well worth it once you get the hang. I'm actually selling mine because I need the room. If your sale falls through contact me. I even have a case for mine.

• Members

It does have AN synthesis (yamahas analog modelling) like the AN1x - but only two voices as opposed to the AN1x's 10.

And, it can sound good - but, can be a real pain to program.

If I were looking to have a rompler/synth hybrid from Yamaha I'd look for its big brother the ex5 (it's just got more stuff under the hood - like physical modelling) or an older motif which you could pit a plg150-AN plug-in board in to get your AN1x sounds.

the EX7 does look sexy though!

• Members

yeah, i'm a bit worried about the programming. i downloaded the manual and yeah it looks dense. but maybe i can get the hang of it after a while. let's see. the ex5 is not an option - that's waaay too big!

wheresgrant3 : thanks, but i think i'm just going to buy it today. anyway, i live in uruguay so the shipping will be a little too much perhaps. anyway, a question for you: you always did all the programming inside the synth or tried any software like midiquest or similar?

thanks!

• Members

I think all things considered, the EX5/7 was relatively straightforward to program. Compared to the amount of manuals my M3 came with, the ex5 manual is very tiny. :) I do not program very 'sophisticated' patches in all honesty, so this is all relative. When you go into edit mode, the 'softkeys' at the bottom of the screen pretty much will take you right to the area you need to edit (OSC, Filter, etc) so you can at least 'quick jump' to a certain section.

I have always edited from the front panel. The different software editors never really seemed to work right with the EX5/7. There was/is a website called EX5Tech (it is still around, but not very active) where you can find a lot of good info/patches, etc. There may have even been a librarian type program someone made for it.

I just re-read your 1st post above swapping the AN1x for this.... well, just be aware they two completely different animals here. Souped up AN1x? I think some will argue no, since the analog modelling engine in the ex5/7 is limited to 1-2 voices. As someone mentioned above, I always found the AN engine in the EX5 to be the hardest part to program.....opposed to the AN1x or even an AN200. The EX7 is souped up in the sense that it has all those 'bread n butter' sounds and a sequencer and all that jazz. :)

• Members

ok, i have the big blue beast at home.

the "synth" sections sound much better than the an1x! ok, the AN part is monophonic, but anyway, just a single wave sounds pretty fat. i like it.

it needs some service tough. some of the buttons are 'sticky' and hard to press. i will try to talk with the seller so we can share the costs. it also needs a new battery.

i tried making some patches an after some initial craziness, i could make some good sounds, and improve an existing one (the vox organ). so overall, a good buy.

i guess that if i play with both the yamaha an1x and the ex7 it would be cheesy as hell. maybe i can dress in blue to fit! heh.

Archived