Sign in to follow this  
leftystratman

Crate v58 VS Crate V1512

this is a question for those who own or tried Crate V58 or / and V1512.

I am looking for a recording amp, and in fact, I've been using Crate V1512, and the result has been great. but it's really heavy and loud, I wouldn't mind trying out a V58, and if it's good enough, I'd like to replace the 15 watter with this 5 watter. I don't have any plan to gig with the amp, I have another amp for that. so do you recommend my move or should I keep my V1512 and forget about V58?

I have the older V508, and I love that little buggar. :thu: I don't know that it would *replace* the bigger amp, but I'd say it's worth a try. The new ones seem to be build a little better than mine, anyways. Don't expect a lot of clean headroom, and some people find the gain "fuzzy," but I like it, and I get good cleans out of it by leaving the gain up and rolling back the guitar's volume. ;)

Chris

Could you guys PLEAAASEEEE post some clips of the v58 and the v1512?!?!?! Both are feeding my GAS to maximum levels lately!!!

I

Originally posted by Akio

Could you guys PLEAAASEEEE post some clips of the v58 and the v1512?!?!?! Both are feeding my GAS to maximum levels lately!!!

I

Originally posted by draelyc

Based on my V508, I don't know if the 58 would cut it with a band (rehearsal or otherwise), but the V3112 30 watter is PLEEENNNNTTYYYY loud, and I'm sure the 15 watter would be more than adequate. As for tone, I may be able to record some quick clips this weekend.... maybe...

if you could post some clips of your little crate, that'd be sweeeet!:thu:

Originally posted by leftystratman

if you could post some clips of your little crate, that'd be sweeeet!
:thu:

I'll try! :)

Here's some V58 Clips. I did 3 with different gain settings, all with the neck pickup and the bridge pickup so you can get an idea of the different tones you can get. The amp starts to come alive and get richer with the gain set after 2 O'Clock.

Clip 1 with the gain at 12:00

Clip 2 with the gain at 2:00

Clip 3 with the gain maxed out

Originally posted by leadfootdriver

Here's some V58 Clips. I did 3 with different gain settings, all with the neck pickup and the bridge pickup so you can get an idea of the different tones you can get. The amp starts to come alive and get richer with the gain set after 2 O'Clock.

Clip 1 with the gain at 12:00

Clip 2 with the gain at 2:00

Clip 3 with the gain maxed out

thanks dude! sounds great, way more bottom end than I expected. nice saturation. it does sound bigger than what you'd expect from a 5 watter. but how about clean tone? how loud can you get with clean sound?

Originally posted by leftystratman

thanks dude! sounds great, way more bottom end than I expected. nice saturation. it does sound bigger than what you'd expect from a 5 watter. but how about clean tone? how loud can you get with clean sound?

It's 1 channel amp, so it will be clean if you turn the gain down, but it's louder the higher the gain gets. If you want clean, then you'll have to comprimise and roll back the volume on your guitar.

100_0694.jpg

Don't get me wrong though. It gets plenty loud with a clean setting. But if you were playing live, then you'd have to roll back a bit to clean up.

The clean is plenty loud sitting in a bedroom. To loud in an apartment if you maxed the volume. ;)

I have a V58 that's pretty mint if you were interested. I can get picks if you'd like.

How much? I'm looking for either that or a V8 Palomino.

Originally posted by tlbonehead

you are lucky. we can't find a Paomino in Canada as far as I know. it's definitely better looking!!

Does $200 shipped sound fair? It will probably cost me $20-$30 to package, and fully insure it.

It's in great condition. I'll reinstall the Groove Tubes that it came with, which have low hours on them since I pulled them and installed JJ's not long after I bought the amp. I think they are Russians (Sovteks).

Here are all of the pics.

http://home.comcast.net/~midnightlaundry/100_0694.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~midnightlaundry/100_0695.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~midnightlaundry/100_0696.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~midnightlaundry/100_0697.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~midnightlaundry/100_0698.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~midnightlaundry/100_0699.jpg

I just went through the same exercise and picked up the Palomino V8. I prefer a 10 over an 8 - I've never heard an 8 that doesn't sound like a shoe box. I'm in Canada as well - PM me and I'll explain how to do a MF order.

Here's the deal with the V8/V58 - very well MIA by Ampeg/SLM. Excellent workmanship and a solid little amp. There are 3 issues that are reasonably easy to address:

1] They use a cheap op-amp for the first preamp stage. This causes quite a bit of hiss and other artifacts that can be a problem when recording. Replace the cheapo TL072CN with a TLE2072. This is one of Texas Instruments Excaliber series and is reknown for being the best of the best - period. You can get this chip from Mouser for around $2.50. The amp becomes pretty much dead quiet after that. The real problem here is SLM soldered the chip to the board, so you need to remove it and either solder on the new one, or solder a socket. It takes around 10 minutes for someone who knows their way around a soldering iron.

2] The volume control is really a preamp level control and they've limited the preamp output [FX send] to an instrument level signal, not a line level. This is good if you want to jack from the FX send to an amp, but needs boosting going into a desk. The easy fix is put all your FX on the FX send, not Guitar->FX->Input. This keeps your input signal pristine and lets you boost the level coming back into the amp so you can really drive the output stage.

3] This amp really rocks when you're juicing both the pre-amp and output valves, but it can get a tad on the loud side. I built a break-out box with an L-pad that goes on the speaker output. It acts as a master volume control and maintains a constant load on the amp so nothing blows. An L-pad costs under $10. I also built in a DI circuit so I can run it straight into a desk [power amp output] or into a higher powered amp for gigging.

The stock Celestion is a great speaker, but needs to be pushed pretty hard before it starts finding it's voice. The mods above, including a breakout box like the one I've done, will cost you under $50 - bit more if you need a tech to do it for you.

No regrets. It's a great little amp and perfect for recording.

Here's the backpack:

Backpack-1.jpg

Backpack-2.jpg

Instument goes on on the left, splits then jumpers into the amp. There's a toggle so I can switch the instrument either to the amp or straight to the FX send. The big knob in the center is the L-pad that works as a master volume. The volume on the amp is really a pre-amp level control which I keep wide open. The jumper on the right is a TRS that takes the FX Send and Return in and out of the amp. The toggle switches the Sends to either be from the amp or the instrument so I can bypass the preamp altogether if I want to.

Backpack-3.jpg

I attached the box to a new backboard that I cut out of some wood I had around. On the side, from bottom to top, are 2 FX sends, 1 FX return and a DI out. I put the DI trim pot in one of the holes near the top and the other is empty.

Backpack-4.jpg

This side has, bottom to top, amp speaker IN and OUT. This feeds the L-pad and DI. EXT speaker out and a kill switch for the amp speaker only, EXT jack remains live.

Backpack-5.jpg

Not as elegant as having everything as part of the amp, but it works.

I found the reciept. I paid $280 out the door with tax. I still have the original manual too.
:D

That's a little high. I can get a new one for about $240.

That's a little high. I can get a new one for about $240.

Cool then. I bought mine on 6-1-03. I'm sure they've come down in price a bit.

Y'all's clips are outstanding!

Here's the little bit o' wanking I did through my 508 -- I went through all the different pickup configs, rolled the guitar's volume up & down, and even kicked in a Bad Monkey as a boost! The gain was just over 8, the tone around 5.5, and the level was *maybe* around 2 -- not very loud at all!

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=22925