need recommendations for certain workstation..

Saturday

• Members

ok, i recently acquired a yamaha ex7. while i really like the thing, it's DAMN HEAVY and it's imposible to use it for touring. i will still use it for this year but i'm thinking on something that i could use when i gig in other countries.

so, i want a keyboard that..

1) is lightweight.

2) not very expensive (around 1000-1300)

3) nice pianos

4) good organs, hammonds, farfisas, etc.

5) (this is important) flexible synth capabilities. i made some custom patches and weird fx for my band so i need to be able to make my good patches. i don't need strictly analog simulation but something flexible with filters, lfo, routing would be great.

6) keyboard is not an issue. 5 octaves is fine.

basically, my ideal would be a nord stage compact, but that's waaay too expensive for me. so ok.. any ideas?

• Members

I think the Korg M50 would be ideal for you. I haven't played a Farfisa patch on it yet (though it should have one), but for all other sounds you mention, it's the business :) And the 61-keys version is light as a feather. What you might miss is aftertouch is sampling - if that's an issue you can get the "bigger brother" the M3-61 used in your price range. But that's going to be a bit heavier, but then you'll also get a much improved keybed. I think it's still lighter than the Ex7 tho.

If you want to stay with Yamaha, you can get used Motif XS6s now used in your price range and that's also a higher-end workstation. But it's also probably going to be almost as heavy as your EX7...

• Members

Kurzweil PC361 (strongly discounted at the moment) - 31 lbs.

or

PC3LE6 (less programmable, but semi-weighted keys - 31 lbs.

or if you want maximum portability with decent sounds,

Yamaha MM6

mm those kurzweils are as heavy as the ex7! (the ex7 is 33lbs).

the mm6 may be, but i wonder about his editability..

• Members

Since you were playing an old one, namely Yamaha EX7, I would recommend you to look at following workhorse possibilities:

1. Roland XP-80 (or XP-60 if you insist on saving a pound or so) filled with expansions like Keyboards of the 60's and 70's, Piano, Vintage Synth and Special EFX.

2. Roland Fantom FA-76, with Ultimate Keys SRX expansion

• Members

thanks. i checked out the m50.. i like the aesthetics of that machine and the price, but couldn't found decent samples or videos in youtube.. mostly your traditional cool-chillout-electro demos with some pianos sprinkled in. will keep searching.

Have you looked at the Korg website? Tons of demos there.

mm those kurzweils are as heavy as the ex7! (the ex7 is 33lbs).

the mm6 may be, but i wonder about his editability..

Editability? What editability? There is none in the MM6 :lol:

• Members

Korg M50 looks like the best option, lightweight and sounds great.=, it's available in a selection of sizes. Another option would be a Nord Electro 3 , but this doesn't have a synth section as such, it has samples which are free to download but you don't have dedicated controls for the filters and oscillators. You have to get the Stage EX or 2 to get the synth engine but this is more expensive as you say. You can get some pretty good small synths like the Roland GAIA, or you good go down the soft synth route with a computer via midi.

Archived